BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Cold weather engine warming

06-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Cold weather engine warming

Out of curiosity, I am wondering what the people do when they have to start their car parking outside when it is way below freezing. In Asia we are familiar with hot and humid, but we are unfamiliar with temperature drops below 10 degree

Do you warm your car at all, or do you have some sort of engine heater/battery heater, or are there computerized program inside the car that helps warming the car. I think you would have to do all the above

Cheers~
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Nothing different, modern cars are tested down to -20c and below.

Due to cold air being denser than warm air, in order to keep the same fuel to air ratio, the car uses more fuel per mile.

The increase in fuel does increase power though (hence the principle of the intercooler)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Out of curiosity, I am wondering what the people do when they have to start their car parking outside when it is way below freezing. In Asia we are familiar with hot and humid, but we are unfamiliar with temperature drops below 10 degree

Do you warm your car at all, or do you have some sort of engine heater/battery heater, or are there computerized program inside the car that helps warming the car. I think you would have to do all the above

Cheers~
The best thing for the car is to just start it and drive off pretty much immediately, as that will heat it up rather quickly. The issue is to get clear windows. They tend to freeze over in the winter. There are pretty much four strategies to solve this:

1) Keep the car inside a garage.
2) Let the car idle while you clear the windows manually.
3) Install an electric heater.
4) Install a heater that runs on petrol or diesel.

I use option 1 or 2 now, but used to have an electric heater in my previous cars. It had a built in battery charger, block heater for the engine, and a 700W heater inside the car to heat it up. There was a display where I could set a timer, so that it was warm with clear windows at the time I took off in the morning. I just had to remember to disconnect the power cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Temp was down to about 5 degrees the other night and I opened the garage, jumped in and pressed the button. The info display showed a warming message please wait, this must replace the glow plug light we used to have.
Appreciate 0