BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Someone explain to me what's cool about "stanced" cars

10-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #45
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

They're cool should just end at the visual assault. Because I can choose to not look at the professional vandalism. But when it comes to the noise pollution these crap cars produce, that's a different story. Most and I would dare to say all of these pin heads go around purposely revving their engines so everyone can do a look at me. There's an idiot that lives with momma or grandma in the cul de sac over from me. Has his stereo cranked way too loud where can still hear is crap with my windows closed and he does 20 over the posted speed limit in the development so everyone can hear the mighty sounds of angry bees coming from his dope xB.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #46
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Of course that noise thingy doesn't apply to those of us with cruiser motorcycles, because loud pipes save lives
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #47
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but they have been here for quite some time.

The ones I see are usually Infinity G35.
They might be here, but I guess I don't hang around the douchy areas where the congregate.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #48
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Of course that noise thingy doesn't apply to those of us with cruiser motorcycles, because loud pipes save lives
And I can say personally that loud pipes don't save lives. I've had run ins where clueless cagers would still drive right into you. In regards to the noise thing, my Ducati superbike has a loud exhaust. My Ninja not so much. I do what ever it takes when I enter my neighbor in respect of my neighbors not to be an ahole with the exhaust noise by upshifting to keep the RPMs low and coasting with the clutch pulled in. But that's just me being respectful.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #49
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #50
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Too much weight on the right side!!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #51
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

That dude needs to learn how to approach a curb. If he was a few inches over he probably would've had no problems lol
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:05 PM   #52
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
They just look stupid and broken to me.
Are you referring to the owners? Then you get a +1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #53
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
And I can say personally that loud pipes don't save lives. I've had run ins where clueless cagers would still drive right into you. In regards to the noise thing, my Ducati superbike has a loud exhaust. My Ninja not so much. I do what ever it takes when I enter my neighbor in respect of my neighbors not to be an ahole with the exhaust noise by upshifting to keep the RPMs low and coasting with the clutch pulled in. But that's just me being respectful.
I feel sorry for my neighbors and family when I ride off at 0600, so I try to coast down the driveway and then keep it as quiet as possible until I get to the end of the block. But if I roll up on a cage with a phone in the driver's ear, they don't hear their conversation until after I pass by them a few 100'
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #54
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Whats coolest about stanced cars, is that the owners love their cars!!!

I think if a style bothers someone else so much, that person has some inner issues.
      10-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #55
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Gravity View Post
My thoughts
hahahaha, this is funny!
      10-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #56
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I can't explain it. They were everywhere this past weekend. Thankfully the storms chased most back home and potentially flooded some.
      10-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #57
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
This is just a really low car....nothing crazy with the nonfunctional camber....don't mind this look at all
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #58
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

The problem with that car is they dropped wheel diameter so much and tire aspect that it looks weird in terms of how little wheel/tire fills the wheel well but also as a result, artificially lowers the car so much it can't clear the most be minimal driveway entry. My old Z3 sat really low on those freaky Toyo R1R 245/35-17 which were 23.7" in height. My ground clearance was 3" which made it scoot like a go cart, but made the rear diff cover and butt strut bar prone to operation tail hook.
      10-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #59
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

If you closely at the video before he hit that driveway lip, he's been through it before because there was pre-existing damage; as evidenced by that hole between the front aluminum siding and the corner of the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #60
04gto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post

RE: "stanced" cars:

I am very much a function over form kind of guy, not just when it comes to cars, but everything in life. If it is an air scoop or spoiler, it has to be functional, not for style. Having said all that cars that are "stanced" to the extreme so as not to be safe or worse, drive like shit are often unsafe and fucking stupid. I am sure the owners IQ levels are completely inline with there suspension setup. To each his or her own I guess.....

I completely disagree that loud exhausts do not potentially save lives for motorcyclists.

I am a motorcyclist been riding bikes on and off road for 33 years. I am also a "cager" for more than 22 years and I drive/ride more than 30k miles every year. Loud pipes do not always help but there is many circumstances where they will definitely save lives. Just because most "cagers" are completely oblivious to motorcycles and do not hear your bike, does not mean that 0% do. Case in point here in LA when commuting as a "cager" there has been MANY times when I was going to make a lane change on the freeway only to hear an exhaust note (often from a Ducati as there are tons of them here) and cancel my lane change only to have a motorcycle appear out of my blind spot. I have also many times been splitting lanes on my motorcycle and been in the exact inverse of that situation where a car or bus only noticed me after I revved or blipped a little on my GSX-R 1000. Any time that someone can hear your motorcycle or see you in traffic it can save your life. Exhaust helps in the same way that a reflective strip or bright color might help out at night.
      10-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #61
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

The problem is defective brain. Even Donald trumps hair is cooler than stancing.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #62
04gto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
The problem is defective brain. Even Donald trumps hair is cooler than stancing.
Lol
      10-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #63
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gto View Post
RE: "stanced" cars:

I am very much a function over form kind of guy, not just when it comes to cars, but everything in life. If it is an air scoop or spoiler, it has to be functional, not for style. Having said all that cars that are "stanced" to the extreme so as not to be safe or worse, drive like shit are often unsafe and fucking stupid. I am sure the owners IQ levels are completely inline with there suspension setup. To each his or her own I guess.....

I completely disagree that loud exhausts do not potentially save lives for motorcyclists.

I am a motorcyclist been riding bikes on and off road for 33 years. I am also a "cager" for more than 22 years and I drive/ride more than 30k miles every year. Loud pipes do not always help but there is many circumstances where they will definitely save lives. Just because most "cagers" are completely oblivious to motorcycles and do not hear your bike, does not mean that 0% do. Case in point here in LA when commuting as a "cager" there has been MANY times when I was going to make a lane change on the freeway only to hear an exhaust note (often from a Ducati as there are tons of them here) and cancel my lane change only to have a motorcycle appear out of my blind spot. I have also many times been splitting lanes on my motorcycle and been in the exact inverse of that situation where a car or bus only noticed me after I revved or blipped a little on my GSX-R 1000. Any time that someone can hear your motorcycle or see you in traffic it can save your life. Exhaust helps in the same way that a reflective strip or bright color might help out at night.
I still stand by my statement loud pipes don't save lives. It's the nut under the helmet that does. I've witnessed plenty of crashes in my time while riding and have been on the other end when I used to volunteer as an EMT. These crashes were with motorcycles with loud exhausts. While many incidents between motorcyclists and cagers are due to the lowest common denominator licensing system in place for people to legally drive 2 ton weapons, there are usually signs or something that the motorcyclist should have noticed to avoid the situation.

Your example of Ducati's is near and dear to me as I own one. As I mentioned, it's not a quiet one. Just a few weeks ago coming back from the beach, I was BESIDE...and NOT in this idiot's blind spot. I am literally right next to the driver and the idiot still made a lane change into my lane. I saw it coming and swerved left while on the horn. The funny thing is the horn was what startled the idiot. The brain dead driver never bothered to check her mirrors, look to the side to see if it's clear, or even utilize her peripheral vision...something that is part of the DMV vision test in my area. That's just one of many incidents I have avoided.

The recounting of your lane splitting experience doesn't persuade me either. I personally would never lane split even if it's legal in my area. I had a talk with one of the riding coaches for California Superbike School that live in that area. We were talking about lane splitting for some reason and he said he would never do it. It's just asking for trouble and this is a guy that routinely goes in the higher triple digit speed range and dragging knees.

Anyways, we're straying way off topic.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #64
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Oh is that the reason bikes are so loud..?? rofl

Guns in murica, "I need an arsenal and 30 guns and assault rifles so i can protect my family"
bikes in merica, " I need it super loud and polluting so its safer, people hear me coming"

Last edited by GabeS; 10-05-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #65
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WORK-F36 View Post
This is just a really low car....nothing crazy with the nonfunctional camber....don't mind this look at all
I agree, but the situation is hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #66
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

What gets me is when their shit breaks. I mean, maybe they put some hard work into getting their car to look like that. Only go have a bumper or axle get wrecked due to a pot hole.

Appreciate 0