BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > LSD for M235i will it work in F20

05-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

LSD for M235i will it work in F20

Hey Guys,

BMW announced the LSD option for M235i yesterday. I have been waiting for this option before ordering my M135i as I thought they both run the save drive-train and would surely be an option for both cars - however there is no mention of the M135i or any F20/21 models.
Do you think this will bolt straight up to an M135i?

Copied from the BMW announcement:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M Performance Limited Slip Differential now in stock

May 8, 2014

Aftersales Business Development and Marketing is pleased to announce the return of the Limited Slip differential to select BMW vehicles! Designed and created due to popular demand, the mechanical Limited Slip Differential provides the extra performance advantage that true performance drivers desire. This differential utilizes 3 clutch plates for a total of 30% lockup on acceleration and 9% lockup on deceleration. This lockup provides instant power to the wheel that has the greatest amount of grip to gain better traction out of tight corners. An additional benefit in low-grip situations is that both wheels get equal power, meaning more forward driving force on roads with reduced traction.

Product Highlights / Benefits:

• Full replacement differential, no modification of existing differential necessary
• 30% lockup on acceleration, 9% on deceleration, developed specifically for the F2X and F3X chassis for optimal traction and smooth locking and unlocking characteristics.
• Integrates seamlessly with the vehicles’ DSC system, no coding necessary
• Better traction in inclement weather
• Superior warranty coverage
• 4 Year / 50K miles when purchased with a new vehicle
• 2 years or the balance of the new vehicle warranty, whichever is greater
• Adheres to rigorous BMW Group test standards
• MSRP pricing $2,895 (2 Series F22 M235i)
• MSRP pricing $2,995 (335i (F30) / 435i (F32))
• Can be port-installed eventually, but not currently. Due to the high install time and anticipated high demand, the first units have to be dealer installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep

oops figured it out... they didnt announce it because they dont have the F20 in the US...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

From BMW Australia:

Quote:
Lac,

This is a Genuine part so all Warranties are covered completely. The part has a 2 Year unlimited klm warranty. We anticipate the part cost will be around the $6900 mark depending on Exchange rates at the time of import

Regards
Justin Wilkinson
Parts Manager
Seems kind of ridiculous since you can get it for $3000USD + import costs etc..

They also wanted around $1000 to fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

somewhat confused~

I don't really understand why they didn't just release it along with the car as another expensive option They could have called it M performance "performance" package. I guess they OEM this out....

My real question is why the 30% on acceleration, and 9% on off throttle, why not more? Because the possible understeer?

Or does the lock up numbers don't mean anything after a certain number. I recall McLaren F1 "only" has 40% lock up, it might be again a different number? No one seems be complaining with their F1. (Tiff certainly didn't)

This M235i it seems to be a half hearted 1.5 LSD. It's more expensive than some other well known brands with pretty good reviews already, plus the installation will probably have to be done in BMW, which means major another wallet draining disaster. Why then, would anyone go with the BMW LSD.

I tried to do some homework on the LSD stuff, hoping to buy one eventually, but there's still quite a way to go. Thanks for the patience.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac.le View Post
From BMW Australia:

I wonder if the $6900 includes LCT? It no doubt includes a large profit!

Drexler quoted around $5500 and a Quaife is $4500 or so. Perhaps once the fuss dies down BMW might do a deal. Either way it's very expensive.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
I wonder if the $6900 includes LCT? It no doubt includes a large profit!

Drexler quoted around $5500 and a Quaife is $4500 or so. Perhaps once the fuss dies down BMW might do a deal. Either way it's very expensive.
Yes I think I'll wait before thinking about this one.

I doubt LCT would come into it. When I was speccing my car and thinking of M Performance grills and stuff, he advise to do it after delivery to skip LCT.

I'd assume it'd be the same kind of thing here.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
bbenny
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lac.le View Post
From BMW Australia:
Lac,

This is a Genuine part so all Warranties are covered completely. The part has a 2 Year unlimited klm warranty. We anticipate the part cost will be around the $6900 mark depending on Exchange rates at the time of import

Regards
Justin Wilkinson
Parts Manager

That's insane! a few guys on here are being quoted $2,400USD in America
I think you could get the Quaife to Aus for about $2k Install shouldnt be more than $600...

I was hoping I could get it added when ordering the car for under $3.5k
We may as well just order it from a US dealer and have it freighted - would be around $3k after freight and GST.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
My real question is why the 30% on acceleration, and 9% on off throttle, why not more? Because the possible understeer?
Possible understeer is one thing, and messing up the DSC system is another.
Sounds like the differential is set up rather similar to the Z3 M-Coupe, which was a really well handling car.

In the older days, all the clutch pack LSDs from BMW used to have 25/25, and that was also working rather well. I would not worry about 30/9 not being enough.

The reason for less lockup during deceleration is to reduce understeer and avoid stepping sideways when going off the throttle in a corner. This can be difficult to handle for most drivers, as you need to go back on the throttle to catch it. Not very intuitive if you haven't done it a lot of times before.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Dumb question. Does anyone know if a large pumpkin Quaife LSD from an E82/135i easily transfer over to a M235i?
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0