BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Just purchased a Miata!

04-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #23
austexbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

Congrats. I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that is modified to 300hp that I love surprising people with on the track. Definitely a fun sleeper.

Last edited by austexbmw; 04-28-2016 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: added picture
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZ06 View Post
Brakes are cheaper than clutches.
Rev match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivex View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to wait for the heel toe shifting because I need to get the basics down first of course, what do you mean by plenty of gas and not revs, btw?
Don't rev the engine super high while engaging the clutch. It's not necessary unless you're launching the car and it increases wear. Plenty of gas means don't be afraid to use the gas pedal as much as necessary while letting the clutch out.

Quote:
Yeah I was curious on the clutchless shifting...wouldn't it do more harm than good?
Like I said, if you're a quick learner you'll probably be OK. Don't try it until you've got a solid grasp on what kind of RPM adjustment (rev match) is needed for each shift. I've clutchless shifted a ton of cars including the one I've had since new for 80K and it wasn't a problem. If you're not under pressure and you get a lot of practice you'll be able to learn the basics for all this in the first couple days if you're reasonably athletic and practice a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexbmw View Post
Congrats. I have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that is modified to 300hp that I love surprising people with on the track. Definitely a fun sleeper.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #26
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2006 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi View Post
Thanks! I do love the wheels (Kosei K5R) which are 15x7. Great offset. If lowered, the stance will look perfect.

More shots of the wheels: https://flic.kr/s/aHskyLQ9Ta

Miata is a great car to learn manual with. I frantically learned on my friend's NA while waiting on the M235i factory order
I really like your NB Miata!!!! It looks great! Especially with those wheels, I'm going to have to consider some along with a drop. Nice car! I'm glad to hear its a great car to learn manual with...looking forward to it! I'm going to spend some time on the lot first getting a feel for it, then starts the interesting journey home.

Quote:

Wow!!! 300HP in a Miata?!?!?!? I can only imagine what that must feel like...awesome looking car too, what size wheels are those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Rev match.

Don't rev the engine super high while engaging the clutch. It's not necessary unless you're launching the car and it increases wear. Plenty of gas means don't be afraid to use the gas pedal as much as necessary while letting the clutch out.

Like I said, if you're a quick learner you'll probably be OK. Don't try it until you've got a solid grasp on what kind of RPM adjustment (rev match) is needed for each shift. I've clutchless shifted a ton of cars including the one I've had since new for 80K and it wasn't a problem. If you're not under pressure and you get a lot of practice you'll be able to learn the basics for all this in the first couple days if you're reasonably athletic and practice a lot.
Ahhh okay thanks for the clarification. With the Miata being so light, I have a feeling it won't be too hard to give it more gas.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #27
austexbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i M Sport

The wheels are the stock 17" Racing Hart wheels that were standard on the 2004 Mazdaspeed. On the track, I use 15x8 wheels with sticky rubber for better grip and less unsprung weight.

Quote:
I really like your NB Miata!!!! It looks great! Especially with those wheels, I'm going to have to consider some along with a drop. Nice car! I'm glad to hear its a great car to learn manual with...looking forward to it! I'm going to spend some time on the lot first getting a feel for it, then starts the interesting journey home.

Wow!!! 300HP in a Miata?!?!?!? I can only imagine what that must feel like...awesome looking car too, what size wheels are those?

Ahhh okay thanks for the clarification. With the Miata being so light, I have a feeling it won't be too hard to give it more gas.

Last edited by austexbmw; 04-28-2016 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #28
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The wheels are the stock 17" Racing Hart wheels that were standard on the 2004 Mazdaspeed. On the track, I use 15x8 wheels with sticky rubber for better grip and less unsprung weight.

Your track wheels look great too! The 17s seem like they do add a lot of weight to the Miata, being that its so small. Looks good though!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #29
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

The miata has a very light clutch, and the take up point is mid stroke: as stated above you don't have to rev a lot to shift one. Its pretty easy to pick up fast.

Clutchless shifting is not something one needs to ever do unless you completely lose the slave cylinder and need to limp home: I would not spend much time on this, just look for signs of failing slave (harder to get into gear): they can fail on the miata, its a $60 part easy to swap out in < 1 hr.

Don't go mod crazy for a while. Best things to do:

1. Find a good alignment shop (miata are low to the ground, some shops don't have gear for cars that low) that will align to your spec and bring an aggressive 'Lanny' alignment or similar. $200 or perhaps less

2. Tires tires tires

3. If you get bitten by the miata bug, the stock shocks if not Bilstein are slowly dying, think of some Koni's

4. Drive drive drive

Slamming them, stiff springs what have you really can upset the fine balance of the car stock. Yes it has some lean, but that is by design...suckers will grip just fine with the right alignment and tires. To do lowering right, you have to also have enough travel and replace more parts then just springs and shocks (Flyin' Miata catalog is a great shopping tool, but will hurt your wallet a tad: my recommended shop however

Enjoy the drive,

- b
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #30
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
The miata has a very light clutch, and the take up point is mid stroke: as stated above you don't have to rev a lot to shift one. Its pretty easy to pick up fast.

Clutchless shifting is not something one needs to ever do unless you completely lose the slave cylinder and need to limp home: I would not spend much time on this, just look for signs of failing slave (harder to get into gear): they can fail on the miata, its a $60 part easy to swap out in < 1 hr.

Don't go mod crazy for a while. Best things to do:

1. Find a good alignment shop (miata are low to the ground, some shops don't have gear for cars that low) that will align to your spec and bring an aggressive 'Lanny' alignment or similar. $200 or perhaps less

2. Tires tires tires

3. If you get bitten by the miata bug, the stock shocks if not Bilstein are slowly dying, think of some Koni's

4. Drive drive drive

Slamming them, stiff springs what have you really can upset the fine balance of the car stock. Yes it has some lean, but that is by design...suckers will grip just fine with the right alignment and tires. To do lowering right, you have to also have enough travel and replace more parts then just springs and shocks (Flyin' Miata catalog is a great shopping tool, but will hurt your wallet a tad: my recommended shop however

Enjoy the drive,

- b
Thank you for the tips! What is a Lanny alignment, by the way? Is that a Miata specific type of alignment?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #31
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I was curious on the clutchless shifting...wouldn't it do more harm than good?
Indeed
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #32
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Picked it up yesterday...and did so without stalling! I was surprised. I'm still a little jerky when it comes to driving stick, so I've got to practice that. Overall, I really like this car! I can't say too much about it yet since I haven't had it long, but I have a feeling I'm going to have good fun with this car. Browsing around on the Miata forums, I'm learning a lot about it.

Appreciate 2
      05-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #33
fastaction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Congrats! Been thinking of getting an NB Miata as well for road racing and doing the Honda K series swap for the ultimate bang for buck.
      05-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #34
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastaction
Congrats! Been thinking of getting an NB Miata as well for road racing and doing the Honda K series swap for the ultimate bang for buck.
Do it! These cars are fun and simple...Im really liking it! Im still rough on starting out, but shifting gears im smoooth...its just the initial start from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #35
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Congratulations! Can't go wrong with a manual roadster. Hope you have lots of fun with it. #LongLiveTheManual
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #36
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Congratulations! Can't go wrong with a manual roadster. Hope you have lots of fun with it. #LongLiveTheManual
Thanks! Going to take some time for me to master manual transmissions, but I'm looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #37
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Road to stick expertise:

--Rev match and downshift (heel toe, although you may actually use the side of your foot during normal driving depending on pedal height) thru each gear into at least 2nd every time you come to a stop
--Practice actual heel toe under heavy (max) braking every once in a while as it's different than normal around-town rev matched downshifting. Toe on brakes, heel on gas.
--Don't take the fucking car out of gear and coast when you slow down, ever. Oh my god. So many people do this and it drives me completely insane--by taking the car out of gear you are taking yourself OUT of control. Your ability to accelerate is an important part of your arsenal against unexpected road events. Don't overlook it.
--You can give the car plenty of gas (not revs) when taking off, it won't hurt the clutch as long as you're not outright abusive--most important thing for wear is to engage the clutch quickly and minimize slip time.
--Clutchless shifting: I absolutely love this one. You may eventually do some damage to the synchros over time, but if you're a quick learner and have a light touch the tranny can be safely shifted without using the clutch. I had almost 80K on my MKV GLI with tons of clutchless shifting and my synchros still worked great.

You may already know some / all of this but hopefully someone out there benefits.
Your ability to BRAKE and STEER is an important part of your arsenal against unexpected road events.

The OP is learning to drive manual and you are trying to teach him heel/toe and clutchless shifting?

OP: Learn the basics. Don't even THINK about heel/toe or clutchless shifting, or coasting in neutral. You gotta walk before you can parkour.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #38
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Your ability to BRAKE and STEER is an important part of your arsenal against unexpected road events.

The OP is learning to drive manual and you are trying to teach him heel/toe and clutchless shifting?

OP: Learn the basics. Don't even THINK about heel/toe or clutchless shifting, or coasting in neutral. You gotta walk before you can parkour.
I agree, I've been driving around for the past couple days learning the basics. One of my friend's also helped me out a little bit. I'm actually getting MUCH smoother and have only stalled out once. Hill starts are still a big issue for me though; have to tackle those eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #39
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

There's just no reason to get in the habit of putting the car in a situation where you have no power and are guaranteed a delay before you can get the car in gear and be on the gas. It's better to always be in the gear you need, so you have instant power should you need it.

As far as rev matching and heel toe, these ARE the basics--I was doing them literally as soon as I could get the car moving without stalling. This is the best way to learn--learn the right things first, step fully into good habits, and you'll be way ahead of everybody.

Clutchless is more controversial since you could possibly damage your transmission, but again, I found it easy and was doing it within my first few hours of driving stick and my tranny lived to tell the tale.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #40
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Go buy a 70's Alfa, specifically a 116 model like an Alfetta. Drive it for a day, sell it, then jump back in the Miata.

You'll be a brilliant shifter in 24 hours, you have to be or you're not gonna move the Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #41
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If anyone knows of any running & driving Miatas under $3k for sale, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #42
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 6mt

Quote:
If anyone knows of any running & driving Miatas under $3k for sale, let me know.
I've built 2-3 different miatas. Craiglist will have a na body style for 3k or less no prob.. My last Miata only had 80k miles and it was a 96 1.8. Most fun car you can buy for under 10k imo. Teaches you great car control and easy to maintain. I Picked mine up for $1,900 ! As for clutch less shifting, you are right. Horrible idea to try as new driver and completely pointless at this stage. focus on basics, heal toeing, match reving , ect . Congrats to the OP!

Last edited by pepper135I; 05-04-2016 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #43
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper135I View Post
I've built 2-3 different miatas. Craiglist will have a na body style for 3k or less no prob.. My last Miata only had 80k miles and it was a 96 1.8. Most fun car you can buy for under 10k imo. Teaches you great car control and easy to maintain. I Picked mine up for $1,900 ! As for clutch less shifting, you are right. Horrible idea to try as new driver and completely pointless at this stage. focus on basics, heal toeing, match reving , ect . Congrats to the OP!
I paid $1500 for my last one, a 97 w/hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #44
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 6mt

Quote:
I paid $1500 for my last one, a 97 w/hardtop.
Lucky bastard! The hardtops alone go for $900-1300! Thinking about picking up another NA for fun, man I miss that thing
Appreciate 1