BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?

07-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #243
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

UPDATE:-
Went to my local dealership to book the car in for front seat frame replacement and mentioned my suspected timing chain noise fully expecting to be told it was normal as seems to be the case in the UK.

Nope even though the noise isn't too bad the dealership is taking the car on 22 July for a week to do the timing chain and front seats plus removing a pin dent from my passenger side door.

I'll be getting a 114i as a loaner so will see how the baby of the range feels.

Feeling better about my 1 series now and hope this is the start of a great ownership experience.

So if you are UK based with a chattery N47 don't give up on getting the problem addressed as some people on here are finding out it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #244
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Hi guys,

I own the car 7 months now and I have done less than 6000 km. The last few days, I have noticed the following issues:

1. Whenever I start the engine, the A/C blower starts up making noise. I turn the A/C off and then backon and sometimes the noise stops.
2. Sometimes, when I press the accelerator pedal to speed up and the A/C is on (in any fan speed setting), I hear the blower 'accelerating' too (it's coming from the engine compartment)...
3. Another weird thing about the A/C function was that with a setting of 24-25 deg C (outside temp was about 29), cold air was coming from the center and side vents but warm air was coming from the low vents (feet area). I 'fixed' it by setting the A/C lower to 18 degC.
4. Sometimes, when I drive off slowly from stand still, during the first 2-3 meters, I hear a 'whistling' sound from the front or rear (I can't make out which one) left wheel. This sound is rythmic, intermittent and follows the wheel rotation. Any ideas what might that be? Could it be a faulty bearing in the wheel hub?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on the above issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #245
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
Hi guys,

I own the car 7 months now and I have done less than 6000 km. The last few days, I have noticed the following issues:

1. Whenever I start the engine, the A/C blower starts up making noise. I turn the A/C off and then backon and sometimes the noise stops.
2. Sometimes, when I press the accelerator pedal to speed up and the A/C is on (in any fan speed setting), I hear the blower 'accelerating' too (it's coming from the engine compartment)...
3. Another weird thing about the A/C function was that with a setting of 24-25 deg C (outside temp was about 29), cold air was coming from the center and side vents but warm air was coming from the low vents (feet area). I 'fixed' it by setting the A/C lower to 18 degC.
4. Sometimes, when I drive off slowly from stand still, during the first 2-3 meters, I hear a 'whistling' sound from the front or rear (I can't make out which one) left wheel. This sound is rythmic, intermittent and follows the wheel rotation. Any ideas what might that be? Could it be a faulty bearing in the wheel hub?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on the above issues.
1.If the blower noise is a deep bassy thrum that gets very loud if you manually increase the fan speed - this is a known fault and your local dealer will fit a modified filter for you.

2.That's probably not the blower, sounds like you are hearing the turbo spinning up, pretty normal.

3.Not sure about that one possibly a sticking flap, did you have the air circulation on Auto? Every now and again it's worth setting it to manual and select each airflow position on both sides so the flaps move to the limits.

4.That could be a brake caliper sticking slightly rather than a wheel bearing.
      07-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #246
frashed
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Quote:
There should be a cold/hot dial between the centre vents. Make sure it's set to the middle. This controls the centre & side vents and, for example, allows you to retain heat throughout the car without having hot air blown on your face

Also I find anything above 23'c will generally blow warmer air.
      07-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #247
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
1.If the blower noise is a deep bassy thrum that gets very loud if you manually increase the fan speed - this is a known fault and your local dealer will fit a modified filter for you.

2.That's probably not the blower, sounds like you are hearing the turbo spinning up, pretty normal.

3.Not sure about that one possibly a sticking flap, did you have the air circulation on Auto? Every now and again it's worth setting it to manual and select each airflow position on both sides so the flaps move to the limits.

4.That could be a brake caliper sticking slightly rather than a wheel bearing.
1. Yes, it's like that but it doesn't get louder when I increase the fan speed manually. On the contrary, after the 3rd fan speed setting (3 bars displayed), I can't hear it.

2. It has to do with the A/C. It happens only when it's on and it sounds like a fan reving up.

3. Hmm, I think it's in manual. I'll check it out.

4. I haven't thought about that! I guess a faulty bearing would make much more noise, which would continue, at least at medium speeds. This noise disappears in a few seconds (or I can't hear it after a few seconds). Is there a way to confirm it's the caliper (e.g. if I press the brake pedal a few times)?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #248
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
1. Yes, it's like that but it doesn't get louder when I increase the fan speed manually. On the contrary, after the 3rd fan speed setting (3 bars displayed), I can't hear it.

2. It has to do with the A/C. It happens only when it's on and it sounds like a fan reving up.

3. Hmm, I think it's in manual. I'll check it out.

4. I haven't thought about that! I guess a faulty bearing would make much more noise, which would continue, at least at medium speeds. This noise disappears in a few seconds (or I can't hear it after a few seconds). Is there a way to confirm it's the caliper (e.g. if I press the brake pedal a few times)?
1. I have known blower fan bearings make noise at low speed but go quiet when speed is increased, still worth letting BMW look at it imo.

2. It could be a little noise from the A/C compressor as it cycles, maybe a little irritating but not a worry.

4. A wheel bearing would be more of a grind/rumble at speed, possibly changing tone then cornering as the bearing is loaded. To see if you have a sticking caliper jack up each end of the car in turn so the wheels are free and turn them by hand. Any catching will be easy to feel / hear.

The fact the noise stops can be for a few reasons such as the caliper being slow to release or the pad wears slightly until it clears the disc. Worse is a binding caliper and you would spot this after a drive as the smell is unmistakable so I don't think that is your problem.
      07-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #249
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
1. I have known blower fan bearings make noise at low speed but go quiet when speed is increased, still worth letting BMW look at it imo.

2. It could be a little noise from the A/C compressor as it cycles, maybe a little irritating but not a worry.

4. A wheel bearing would be more of a grind/rumble at speed, possibly changing tone then cornering as the bearing is loaded. To see if you have a sticking caliper jack up each end of the car in turn so the wheels are free and turn them by hand. Any catching will be easy to feel / hear.

The fact the noise stops can be for a few reasons such as the caliper being slow to release or the pad wears slightly until it clears the disc. Worse is a binding caliper and you would spot this after a drive as the smell is unmistakable so I don't think that is your problem.
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember a strange smell after some spirited driving with many bends and sudden brakings... How serious can that be? Is it dangerous? I'm on vacation right now, I can't jack it up and I will not be able to take the car to the dealer until next week... Is there any other way to confirm that the caliper is binding? Thank you for all the info and your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #250
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Anyone has weird noises coming from the steering column?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #251
steve1975l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 116d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Anyone has weird noises coming from the steering column?
I have a knocking sound coming through the steering when going over light bumps whilst turning left.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #252
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember a strange smell after some spirited driving with many bends and sudden brakings... How serious can that be? Is it dangerous? I'm on vacation right now, I can't jack it up and I will not be able to take the car to the dealer until next week... Is there any other way to confirm that the caliper is binding? Thank you for all the info and your help!
Drive normally without hard braking for about 10 min then jump out and rest your hand against each wheel. They may feel warm but not what you would call hot and have no smell, if one does then the caliper is sticking.

You need to get that sorted as it can overheat the disc, glaze the pads, damage the tyre and in extreme cases overheat the brake fluid.

You should be ok until after your vacation if you don't go nuts and keep checking for overheating.

Many years ago I had a Peugeot 405 SRI and a rear brake caliper seized, first I noticed was the cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror. Pulled over and found the rear nearside disc glowing cherry red with smoke coming off it and the tyre - nasty.
      07-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #253
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Drive normally without hard braking for about 10 min then jump out and rest your hand against each wheel. They may feel warm but not what you would call hot and have no smell, if one does then the caliper is sticking.

You need to get that sorted as it can overheat the disc, glaze the pads, damage the tyre and in extreme cases overheat the brake fluid.

You should be ok until after your vacation if you don't go nuts and keep checking for overheating.

Many years ago I had a Peugeot 405 SRI and a rear brake caliper seized, first I noticed was the cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror. Pulled over and found the rear nearside disc glowing cherry red with smoke coming off it and the tyre - nasty.
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. The thing is that I've noticed the smell only once and the noise happens once in a while (no noise during the last 2 days). If it's the caliper, does it have to be replaced or adjusted? I guess this repair/replacement should be under warranty, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #254
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out. The thing is that I've noticed the smell only once and the noise happens once in a while (no noise during the last 2 days). If it's the caliper, does it have to be replaced or adjusted? I guess this repair/replacement should be under warranty, right?
It should be done under warranty but it may be something like a little bit of grit has got stuck in there somewhere so just a clean out needed.
      07-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #255
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
I did a test drive today (more than 20 min) and when I checked the rims, the temperature was the same on all 4 of them and no strange smell was present. However, I suspect there is something wrong with the front brakes as they make a strange noise while braking suddenly from very low speeds to a standstill. This noise is noticeable only when the car brakes while passing nearby a big obstacle or another car or a building, where the air is restricted. Inside the cabin I can hear something like grinding (I don't know how to describe it better).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #256
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did a test drive today (more than 20 min) and when I checked the rims, the temperature was the same on all 4 of them and no strange smell was present. However, I suspect there is something wrong with the front brakes as they make a strange noise while braking suddenly from very low speeds to a standstill. This noise is noticeable only when the car brakes while passing nearby a big obstacle or another car or a building, where the air is restricted. Inside the cabin I can hear something like grinding (I don't know how to describe it better).
Well the pads should be nowhere near worn after only 6000km the grinding could be down to grit getting trapped, check the discs for scoring. (Circular lined on the smooth metal)

Being in tight spaces with the windows down magnifies any little noise the car makes and you can get a little grind when you first apply the brakes, especially after the car has been washed. Discs corrode really quickly as they are a ferrous metal but they shouldn't grind after a few applications.

If the pads have been overheated they could be glazed (Surface has been polished) a dealer will be able to remove and check them easily.
      07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #257
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Well the pads should be nowhere near worn after only 6000km the grinding could be down to grit getting trapped, check the discs for scoring. (Circular lined on the smooth metal)

Being in tight spaces with the windows down magnifies any little noise the car makes and you can get a little grind when you first apply the brakes, especially after the car has been washed. Discs corrode really quickly as they are a ferrous metal but they shouldn't grind after a few applications.

If the pads have been overheated they could be glazed (Surface has been polished) a dealer will be able to remove and check them easily.
Thanks for the answer Bob. Yep, there is scoring on the discs (on the rear discs it's more intense). However, when I touched the surface, it seemed smooth (I guess there is a 0.0 something mm tolerance which is not felt by hand). Does this mean that the discs need tobe replaced?...

I've checked a post in E90POST forum and it seems that this high pitch squeal I have, has to do with the OEM pads. Maybe I should go with third-party ones. Any suggestions? In your opinion, how should I present this problem to the dealer (I don't think they will admit it's their pads and if they do, they will just replace them with OEM ones again.)?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #258
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't recall any posts on here regarding squealing OEM pads, it's possible they have been glazed slightly. Try not to be too heavy on them for a while and they should wear back in, the light scoring on the discs is nothing to worry about they don't need replacing until you can feel a distinct lip on the outer edge. Depending on driving style a set of discs should last 50k to 60k kilometers before needing replacement.

If they don't stop squeaking then it won't hurt to pop into the dealer, they may clean out the brakes or put some anti squeal compound or shims behind the pads to stop it happening.

To help out your pads make sure after braking to a stop you get off the footbrake and apply the handbrake. Not doing this keeps the pads in contact with the discs and creates a hotspot which can lead to warping of the disc and glazing of the pads.

Hope that helps.
      07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #259
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall any posts on here regarding squealing OEM pads, it's possible they have been glazed slightly. Try not to be too heavy on them for a while and they should wear back in, the light scoring on the discs is nothing to worry about they don't need replacing until you can feel a distinct lip on the outer edge. Depending on driving style a set of discs should last 50k to 60k kilometers before needing replacement.

If they don't stop squeaking then it won't hurt to pop into the dealer, they may clean out the brakes or put some anti squeal compound or shims behind the pads to stop it happening.

To help out your pads make sure after braking to a stop you get off the footbrake and apply the handbrake. Not doing this keeps the pads in contact with the discs and creates a hotspot which can lead to warping of the disc and glazing of the pads.

Hope that helps.
Thanks again Bob, I really appreciate it and I will follow your instructions!

I have done only nearly 6k km and the car computer says that I will have to change the front pads in36k km and the rear pads in 38k km. Is this normal? I don't think that I've been too harsh with my car... Unless it has to do with the sensors.

Here is the post I was referring to (I have exactly the same symptom described as a 'high pitch squeal'): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697365
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #260
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The predicted replacement sounds about right, nothing to worry about there.

That link you posted refers to drum brakes, you have discs all round so that's not your problem.
      07-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #261
peanut125i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i 5 dr (F20)

I have a rattle coming from the rear of the car, have feeling its the wiper. anyone else have this?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #262
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut125i View Post
I have a rattle coming from the rear of the car, have feeling its the wiper. anyone else have this?
Make sure the wheel key and tool aren't rattling in the storage area.
      07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #263
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
That link you posted refers to drum brakes, you have discs all round so that's not your problem.
No, if you take a closer look, you'll see it refers to disc brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #264
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, if you take a closer look, you'll see it refers to disc brakes.
I still doubt that's your problem with yours being so new.