BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Tuned F20 125i

08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
AdrianB
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M Sport

Tuned F20 125i

Hi guys, just wanted to share that i have installed the Burger Motorsport Stage 1 N20 tune. Installation was simple and completed in about half hour. It is very clean within the engine bay and looks extremely professional in appearance.
There are no engine warning lights present. In terms of performance all i can say is WOW, the car wasnt slow before but this has taken it to another level. The biggest difference i can feel at this early stage is the distinct lack of turbo lag.Power is delivered as seamlessly if not better than before and when the car hits about 3000rpm it just surges towards the redline. I hope to be able to log some data and provide more information in the coming weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

But new measurements would be a lot more interesting if you had any "before"-data.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianB View Post
Hi guys, just wanted to share that i have installed the Burger Motorsport Stage 1 N20 tune. Installation was simple and completed in about half hour. It is very clean within the engine bay and looks extremely professional in appearance.
There are no engine warning lights present. In terms of performance all i can say is WOW, the car wasnt slow before but this has taken it to another level. The biggest difference i can feel at this early stage is the distinct lack of turbo lag.Power is delivered as seamlessly if not better than before and when the car hits about 3000rpm it just surges towards the redline. I hope to be able to log some data and provide more information in the coming weeks.
Hi Adrian. If you don't mind. Would you like to come out for a short catch up in Canberra?

We can compare our two 125 together. Wanna have a look on yours.

If you like, next wed is the best date for me.

Piero
      08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
AdrianB
Private
Rep

No worries at all, where are you in Canberra ? maybe if you pm your
number we can tee it up
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks mate, just shot you across my number =D

Let's meet up!
      08-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:

Adrian, I am also interested in this.

Can you provide us with some additional info please
Where did you get it from (the part number) and the cost
Can it be installed by anyone? (anyone with some auto knowledge)
Also, is the modification still covered under the manufacturers warrantee.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Adrian,
Can you post some pics of your car and the install of the Burger Motorsport Stage 1 N20 tune module etc please
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
AdrianB
Private
Rep

Hi AusF20

The module is the Burger Motorsport N20 tune and i ordered it direct from the guys in the states. There are a few companies which are onselling it but i found it much easier to get it direct. They have paypal facility so ordering was simple and it arrived by USPS exactly one week after order. Cost landed was about $420 AUD. In short to answer your question about manufacturers warranty i think that answer is no. I did a hell of a lot of research about this before finally ordering it which included emailing Terry Burger direct several times. He always responded within a couple of hours and was most helpful. I would suggest that you contact him direct via email with any technical questions you have. If you head to www.burgertuning.com you will find the contact details for terry and also the actual tune, Its the only N20 one in the list. I also did a lot of reading on the www.N54tech.com forum where there is a sticky thread relating directly to the N20 tune. Terry posts regularly on that thread and it goes through all the development as it has happened including testing of his own F30 328i with the tune. He also posts on lots of the other threads on a daily basis I noticed. It was with confidence I ordered the part and I do beleive its the first F20 125i that is now running it(ordered direct from Burger anyway !)In my last email he told me that the tune was running successfully in the new F30 320i also.
In terms of installation it was extremely easy, I dont pretend to be knowledgeable about complex engines such as this one but half hour was all that was required, and the instructions are available to download on their website with great step by step instructions with pictures(very helpful).
There have been no warning lamps and the car feels great as already explained.
I will attempt to get some good pictures for you tomorrow but i can say that if you werent familiar with the engine already you would be unlikely to know anything was different. It is very discrete and will remove very quickly!
I hope this has helped, I know a lot of people will not want to tamper with something like this but honestly i feel like the car has found a new lease of life and having said that i didnt think it was slow before! In stock form it felt faster and more composed than my MK6 GTI i owned before!
Cheers
Adrian
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks Adrian for the informative reply. Once again, learn a lot from you again
      08-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi AusF20

The module is the Burger Motorsport N20 tune and i ordered it direct from the guys in the states. There are a few companies which are onselling it but i found it much easier to get it direct. They have paypal facility so ordering was simple and it arrived by USPS exactly one week after order. Cost landed was about $420 AUD. In short to answer your question about manufacturers warranty i think that answer is no. I did a hell of a lot of research about this before finally ordering it which included emailing Terry Burger direct several times. He always responded within a couple of hours and was most helpful. I would suggest that you contact him direct via email with any technical questions you have. If you head to www.burgertuning.com you will find the contact details for terry and also the actual tune, Its the only N20 one in the list. I also did a lot of reading on the www.N54tech.com forum where there is a sticky thread relating directly to the N20 tune. Terry posts regularly on that thread and it goes through all the development as it has happened including testing of his own F30 328i with the tune. He also posts on lots of the other threads on a daily basis I noticed. It was with confidence I ordered the part and I do beleive its the first F20 125i that is now running it(ordered direct from Burger anyway !)In my last email he told me that the tune was running successfully in the new F30 320i also.
In terms of installation it was extremely easy, I dont pretend to be knowledgeable about complex engines such as this one but half hour was all that was required, and the instructions are available to download on their website with great step by step instructions with pictures(very helpful).
There have been no warning lamps and the car feels great as already explained.
I will attempt to get some good pictures for you tomorrow but i can say that if you werent familiar with the engine already you would be unlikely to know anything was different. It is very discrete and will remove very quickly!
I hope this has helped, I know a lot of people will not want to tamper with something like this but honestly i feel like the car has found a new lease of life and having said that i didnt think it was slow before! In stock form it felt faster and more composed than my MK6 GTI i owned before!
Cheers
Adrian
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Hi Adrian,

Just wondering, with the BMS N20 tune, does it currently have multiple maps to choose from or is it more or less a plug in and 'all or nothing' tune?

I have yet to take delivery of my F30 but I'm looking putting this in once I've broken her in
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
AdrianB
Private
Rep

Hi spikey
It's pretty much plug and play, but is being developed all the time, so who knows in the future. I can recommend it highly though
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to keep my eyes out on their forums for their firmware updates then
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
202bc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F20 125i Sport

Hi,I am a new user of BMS JB4 and I had trouble when I connect the JB4 box to my new F20 125i where I didn't find the solenoid connector. Anyone here has similar situation? And the re-seller told me it will not achieve a full tuning as the normal one.

Any thoughts or suggestion?

Thanks.

BC
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
sootyvrs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

If it's anything like the M135i... later models (maybe post Jul '13) have moved to an electronic solonoid compared to earlier models so do not have a connector for this.

Just leave this part disconnected (as nothing to connect to). Reports were that cars with electronic solonoid produced a little less mid range torque with JB4 installed.

Last edited by sootyvrs; 12-27-2013 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Ecytsai
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have been thinking to put a tuning box on my 125i for quite sometime..
Has anyone in this forum tried any other tuning box? (Other than BMS)
Please share your experience!!
Appreciate 0