BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New Spy Shots of the 2017 1 Series Sedan in China

08-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #45
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
No need for a RWD sedan smaller than a 3-series, apparently.
That's a good come back
      08-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #46
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

I WANT A RWD 2 SERIES GC IN BOTH 228i GC, M235i GC AND M2 GC FORMS. LIKE OR +1 SO BMW KNOWS! I don't deny this will be a fun car (really enjoy the new mini) and sell great. It would be a great car for many people, like my sister, who is waiting to purchase a new mini and does not care about the drive wheels. BUT I hate that this is FWD. I have a crazy love affair with my RWD e46 and want a near direct replacement as its getting older. The 1 series hatch would have been a great option (but we didn't get that in the US, instead we get a whole load of other crap options to fill other niche markets). The hatch is fine and it has more power, rear wheel drive, still compact and some new gizmos (comfort access). I do not care that I would have a drive shaft that goes thru the back seats which means realistically I can only carry 4. I hardly use them anyway but like the option of carrying a few people in a pinch. I give no sh*ts if they are comfortable. We can take their car if they are going to complain. STOP FEEDING US ALL THIS GARBAGE ABOUT BMW MAKING LAME MASS MARKET CARS SO THEY CAN AFFORD TO MAKE GREAT DRIVERS CARS. GIVE ME THE DRIVERS CAR I WANT, YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ENGINES, PLATFORM AND EVERYTHING ELSE YOU NEED! Please
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #47
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual
Is it confirmed to have FWD? That gear selector is used only for BMW's rear drive/rear biased models. Notice the 2 Active tourer and the new X1 don't have this shifter.
Yes, but to me it only indicates a ZF 8spd transmission, not the wheels driven.

Center stack looks similar to X5/6 and G11 ones..which looks pretty nice.

Cant tell much on the outside but im not holding my breath, looking at recent BMWs designs.

Dont get all this FWD hate. Certainly i prefer RWD but at this price point i guess it doesnt make commercial sense, not to mention the back seat/trunk room that the RWD platform would take away in a car this size.

Pray that they actually make a 2er GC which scott said that its platform can be used for both FWD and RWD.
I'm sorry but if you are buying a compact BMW and need to make sure you have room enough in the back seats for say a family... Then go buy an accord for the same price, or better yet a Mazda 6 if you want something that's not a total dud. I fail to see how only 10 years ago BMW sold many many e46 with all the so called shortcomings of RWD (******* and now in a short time span that formula absolutely does not work??
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Quote:
That's a good come back
Maybe so, but far from true.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #49
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
When BMW said they had no need for a sedan smaller than a 3 series, they must have meant a 3 series from 10 years ago...
Yes indeed... Time will yield a 2er Gran Coupe.

They can do only N26 xDrive and it will never really touch the 3er sales. The 2 is the new 3 anyways. They just keep upsizing each model so they have to complete the lower line up to stay competitive in every segment.
SOLD! 228i M Sport, M235i and M2 please. I know my step dad would get one too. ANYDAY NOW BMW!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #50
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I am 6'2" tall, and fit comfortably into the back seat of the 1 series hatch when the front seat is adjusted for me. I would not mind if the one series was smaller and lighter.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #51
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Quote:
That's a good come back
Maybe so, but far from true.
Sarcasm is lost on you lot.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #52
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual
Is it confirmed to have FWD? That gear selector is used only for BMW's rear drive/rear biased models. Notice the 2 Active tourer and the new X1 don't have this shifter.

Center stack looks similar to X5/6 and G11 ones..which looks pretty nice.

Cant tell much on the outside but im not holding my breath, looking at recent BMWs designs.

Dont get all this FWD hate. Certainly i prefer RWD but at this price point i guess it doesnt make commercial sense, not to mention the back seat/trunk room that the RWD platform would take away in a car this size.

Pray that they actually make a 2er GC which scott said that its platform can be used for both FWD and RWD.
I'm sorry but if you are buying a compact BMW and need to make sure you have room enough in the back seats for say a family... Then go buy an accord for the same price, or better yet a Mazda 6 if you want something that's not a total dud. I fail to see how only 10 years ago BMW sold many many e46 with all the so called shortcomings of RWD (******* and now in a short time span that formula absolutely does not work??
I said I'd rather have it RWD. But it actually makes sense to be FWD in a commercial stand point. People that buys those kind of cars dont give a shit if its FWD or RWD, even the 3 series i bet that at least 80% of buyers dont know which wheels are being driven.

So for BMW makes sense to have more space and be cheaper in a market where ppl dont really care about driving dynamics, but care about those other useless things. Still, it isnt that bad, we all know that BMWs AWD its very rear biased.

And i dont really give a crap about this car, if they give us the 2er GC in RWD form.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #53
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
corolla
      08-07-2015, 03:27 AM   #54
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
ZF 8spd is a longitudinal automatic so this wouldn't fit a FWD setup... but a FWD 1 series sedan makes sense to combat the CLA and A3 sedan...both are FWD...

So the F87 M2 will be the one and only since BMW M will not make a FWD M car.
It just needs to be a transmission with an electronic gear selector instead of a mechanical one. Lots of FWD cars these days have electronic shifters, so its not just with the longitudinal ZF 8HP that BMW can use that shifter.

The transverse ZF 9HP is used with an electronic gear selector in most (all?) of its applications. Acura TLX/MDX, Chrysler 200, Honda Pilot, Jeep Cherokee, among others.

And M could make AWD M cars...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #55
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It just needs to be a transmission with an electronic gear selector instead of a mechanical one. Lots of FWD cars these days have electronic shifters, so its not just with the longitudinal ZF 8HP that BMW can use that shifter.

The transverse ZF 9HP is used with an electronic gear selector in most (all?) of its applications. Acura TLX/MDX, Chrysler 200, Honda Pilot, Jeep Cherokee, among others.

And M could make AWD M cars...
Come on!!! Jeep and their troubled 9 speed and VW with their rubbish dual clutch.

BMW is making a huge mistake with FWD. It doesn't matter in China as 99% of them cannot drive safely. Where ever I travel in the world I always come across terrible Chinese driving.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #56
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I'm Chinese and everyone says I'm a great driver...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #57
DaZuc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
I'm Chinese and everyone says I'm a great driver...
Are they from NZ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #58
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Any updates on this?