BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Introducing the BMW Motorrad VISION NEXT 100

10-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
As a rider I don't get the reason why they say you don't need a helmet, they cant circumvent physics in a wreck. Also don't like having to remove your hands from the bars to point and signal, again, unsafe and too much work instead of just using your thumb. I don't like it at all, but I can see someone that doesn't ride thinking that's all cool. Must be their auto designers working on this. Balance itself at a stop? Just get a can am or trike if that's what you need. Looks like they only want supersport customers with that uncomfortable riding position. Blah
Why would you take things so literally? It's a Vision concept, not something they will build tomorrow and expect sales the next day.
Why take it literally?
So they really think it's smart to ride without helmets and have to do more work and be unsafe to signal?

shouldn't concepts actually make sense and not just look cool?

This one doesn't.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Why take it literally?
So they really think it's smart to ride without helmets and have to do more work and be unsafe to signal?

shouldn't concepts actually make sense and not just look cool?

This one doesn't.
Like many motorcyclists actually use their turn signals (and remember to defeat them) now ... anyway, thing is: this bike couldn't be made without turn signals because they're required by law in so many countries on street-legal motorbikes. Even dirt bikes have to have 'em if they're operated on public roads, at least in the U.S. ...

I'm with you and other posters regarding the helmet. A stray pebble kicked up by a truck can kill you; I guarantee this bike or any other futurebike can't see that coming, much less take evasive action to avoid it that the rider can cope with physically. Even if tech like this ends up making a self-operating motorcycle possible (to go somewhat hand-in-hand with the driverless car), I'm almost certain helmets will never be made obsolete -- just as seat belts won't be made optional in driverless cars.

Keep in mind that BMW Motorrad and BMW's four-wheel divisions have always used each others' ideas as springboards. (Remember the C1? If not, look it up.) The Motorrad division, however, has arguably been the most forward-thinking two-wheeled manufacturer on Earth since the 1980s. Only Honda really rivals it. It knows bikes. It's not going to present an idea unless it's got some real-world possibility behind it.
Appreciate 0