BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Introduction - My new F21 118d M-Sport

06-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E30 325i & F21 118d M Sport

Introduction - My new F21 118d M-Sport

Hi all,

First of all let me introduce myself, I'm Ashley, i'm 19 from Surrey in the UK.

I currently have a 1989 E30 325i Coupe which i am using everyday. Whilst I love it to pieces i wanted to start using it as a weekend car during the summer so it was time to start looking for a daily.

In i went to local BMW dealer and 2 days later i have placed an order for a 118d M-sport LCI in Alpine White.
I haven't gone crazy with options but they are as follows:

Coral Red Dakota Leather
BMW Professional Media Package
Interior Comfort Package
Adaptive LED headlights
Heated Seats
Auto Transmission

Ordered her on Saturday 30th May. Iv'e been told mid to end June for delivery but I'm expecting about 6 weeks so more mid July.

For now here's a picture or two of my E30

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

That's a beauty. Reminds me of the red E30 I used to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The rims look like pans.

Aren't the wheels too much /\? Rix313's don't look so flat down, even the racing one's, may be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix313 View Post
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Excellent condition! Congrats for the new purchase too!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Ahh 'Nostalgia' Brings back some fun memories
Congrats, The new one will bring you some new joys
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Aren't the wheels too much /\? Rix313's don't look so flat down, even the racing one's, may be:
Sorry , what do you mean? Too much camber.?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Ashley1995
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks All, cannot wait until it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley1995 View Post
Sorry , what do you mean? Too much camber.?
Yes, indeed. I mean it just looks quite exaggerated to me: I don't know the correct setting for the model so that could be all right actually.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Yes, indeed. I mean it just looks quite exaggerated to me: I don't know the correct setting for the model so that could be all right actually.
The E30s often have around 2 degrees negative camber in the back when lowered. Up front they have slightly less, but it is popular to increase the camber with camber plates. I ran about -3.5 degrees up front, and -1.5 degrees in the back on mine. That was working rather well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The E30s often have around 2 degrees negative camber in the back when lowered. Up front they have slightly less, but it is popular to increase the camber with camber plates. I ran about -3.5 degrees up front, and -1.5 degrees in the back on mine. That was working rather well.
I see. My previous cars had torsion rear suspension. Noticeable negative camber would have meant an expensive repair/replacement - may be that's why it looks just faulty to me (although I never ran mine that far).

> That was working rather well.

And hard? Running tyres on edges must mean premature wear off. That must be why the front tyres are different from the rear and look brand new.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The tyre wear when running straight is usually rather modest. Most of the wear happens when pushing a car around corners and braking hard. In that case it is the outside edge of the front tyres that go first. With plenty of negative camber, you get more even tyre wear. If you are more the of the straight line drag racing type, you are of course better off keeping the tyres as upright as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
No one
Major
Rep

Aggressive cornering outside a racing track is mostly unsafe, straight line opportunities are just more frequent. (Hard braking in a turn is to be avoided every time, AFAIK.)

A car appearing to feature no racing dedication other than housewife's rims and aggressive camber looks a bit strange: some people mimic "cool" racing cars without plenty of understanding, but, of course, there are hard racers trying to conceal that ("sheeping wolves" ) too.

Nice looking car, actually, it's not that I'm picking on.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Aggressive cornering outside a racing track is mostly unsafe, straight line opportunities are just more frequent. (Hard braking in a turn is to be avoided every time, AFAIK.)
Hard braking in corners is one of the things an F20/F21 handles very well, and gives it an advantage compared to cars like BMW E30 or most Porsches. That means you can enter corners with a very early apex (which you probably think should be avoided as well?).

I have very little interest in straight line acceleration, but like hard cornering. Maybe that is why I bought a 116i instead of a car with a heavier drive line.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:

I have very little interest in straight line acceleration, but like hard cornering. Maybe that is why I bought a 116i instead of a car with a heavier drive line.
I thought I was reading my own post. Americans don't have a choice it's a shame as the 116i is a great car to drive. You do get a true go-cart feeling.

I would have purchased the 216i convertible but not available.
      06-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #15
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hard braking in corners is one of the things an F20/F21 handles very well, and gives it an advantage compared to cars like BMW E30 or most Porsches. That means you can enter corners with a very early apex (which you probably think should be avoided as well?).

118i is mechanically the same as 116i, same weight, just more power. I hate to brake, but I like acceleration.

I meant those "laws of physics" that make braking hard impossible on a tight curve unless you wish to slide/spin off. It takes braking before the turn to enter it at a safe speed to avoid troubles like obstacles, poor/slippery surface, the blind turn going tighter on, etc. (not very applicable to a racing track, where you can be reasonably sure the turn is what you expect and there's the safety runaway area, probably), but that safe speed allows an early acceleration when it's all clear and I like to take the opportunity. It's interesting to control the acceleration rather than go flat down and just wait while it struggles to speed up due to lack of power.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
118i is mechanically the same as 116i, same weight, just more power. I hate to brake, but I like acceleration.

I meant those "laws of physics" that make braking hard impossible on a tight curve unless you wish to slide/spin off. It takes braking before the turn to enter it at a safe speed to avoid troubles like obstacles, poor/slippery surface, the blind turn going tighter on, etc. (not very applicable to a racing track, where you can be reasonably sure the turn is what you expect and there's the safety runaway area, probably), but that safe speed allows an early acceleration when it's all clear and I like to take the opportunity. It's interesting to control the acceleration rather than go flat down and just wait while it struggles to speed up due to lack of power.
What you need is to go along to BMW's driver training weekend they will show how braking is fun even handbrake turns.

You can read all corners know matter how tight they are and you drive to the conditions. It easy to drive fast in a straight line and use the power.

Gears are for controlling power and the 8 speed auto is great for finding the correct gear at the time needed.

I've never had my 116i struggle coming out of any corner.
      06-09-2015, 11:05 PM   #17
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
What you need is to go along to BMW's driver training weekend they will show how braking is fun even handbrake turns.
I drive in the city. I'm not ready to enjoy receiving someone into the back end.

> handbrake turns

No thanks, I don't think I need that.

Quote:
You can read all corners know matter how tight they are and you drive to the conditions.
I really doubt I can read what I can't see. I'd rather look first and that takes slowing down before too late.

Quote:
It easy to drive fast in a straight line and use the power.
Yes it is. But it's a safe pleasure compared to attacking blind/doubtful turns. I never said I didn't want to challenge corners, it's just mostly appropriate in a safe place, I believe.

Quote:
Gears are for controlling power
Yes, I know. It's just when there's no power there's not much to control. When there's quite some it's more challenging to balance between applying power and avoiding wheel spin. And even in the first gear I'd rather go faster if I can.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #18
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
I drive in the city. I'm not ready to enjoy receiving someone into the back end.

> handbrake turns

No thanks, I don't think I need that.

I really doubt I can read what I can't see. I'd rather look first and that takes slowing down before too late.

Yes it is. But it's a safe pleasure compared to attacking blind/doubtful turns. I never said I didn't want to challenge corners, it's just mostly appropriate in a safe place, I believe.

Yes, I know. It's just when there's no power there's not much to control. When there's quite some it's more challenging to balance between applying power and avoiding wheel spin. And even in the first gear I'd rather go faster if I can.
My wife was the same as you, but after a couple of BMW driver training racing track days with a top racing driving beside her showing her the correct way to drive she now loves doing hot laps and having the rear end of BMW's M cars throwing out coming out of corners.
      06-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
My wife was the same as you, but after a couple of BMW driver training racing track days with a top racing driving beside her showing her the correct way to drive she now loves doing hot laps and having the rear end of BMW's M cars throwing out coming out of corners.
You seem to keep skipping my main point: I drive in the city. And I do believe racing track techniques are of quite limited (if any) application there.

If I weren't that cautious I would have smashed my car just the other day because of a dumb ass cutting the turn on the incoming traffic lane around a building's corner so I couldn't see him coming into me. It's quite a common example.

Let's stop hijacking the thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
You seem to keep skipping my main point: I drive in the city. And I do believe racing track techniques are of quite limited (if any) application there.
You should try some track days to see the true potential of the 1 series. It is great fun. For urban transport, I hardly ever use the car. That is what the bicycle is for.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
You should try some track days to see the true potential of the 1 series. It is great fun.
Yes, I guess so. It's just the quality of services here is very low (though the prices are very high). Also, the local drivers are so misbehaving I just doubt they can make them behave on the track (I can't afford renting one for my dear self only ). I might go to see some day...

Quote:
For urban transport, I hardly ever use the car.
Yes, they promote that hard here too, but absolutely unconvincingly. When in cars the locals tend to avoid physical contact, generally. Otherwise they seem to just seek it while I don't appreciate that.

Quote:
That is what the bicycle is for.
Bicycle is of limited use in winter or even bad weather, I believe. I loved riding my sport bicycle when I was a schoolboy, even despite everyday maintenance due to it's low overall quality and lack of spare parts. It's just the city wasn't so congested back then.

By the way, I was shocked to discover the price of the BMW M sport bicycle (still lacking the shoe clips on the pedals ). I'd rather have a BMW car for only ten times the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #22
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Bicycle is of limited use in winter or even bad weather, I believe. I loved riding my sport bicycle when I was a schoolboy, even despite everyday maintenance due to it's low overall quality and lack of spare parts. It's just the city wasn't so congested back then.

By the way, I was shocked to discover the price of the BMW M sport bicycle (still lacking the shoe clips on the pedals ). I'd rather have a BMW car for only ten times the price.
I use my bicycles all year, even in snow, with spiked tyres. For less than 10 percent of the price of our 116i, I could buy a brand new electric BMW mountain bike with all the bells and whistles.
Appreciate 0