BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW 1-day M school vs Porsche?

06-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

BMW 1-day M school vs Porsche?

Has anyone done both or have thoughts on which they would rather attend?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Have you considered taking a course at Skip Barber Racing School? They offer high performance driving programs too. Being instructed and coached by pros was an extremely valuable and humbling experience for me. I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber MazdaSpeed (MX-5) 3-Day Racing School, Advanced Car Control School and the MazdaSpeed 2-Day Advanced Racing School (3 times). I’m also a graduate of the dearly departed Hawaii International racing School (SCCA Spec Racers). It was during the first day of the 3-Day Racing School, when I quickly realized that I wasn’t nearly as good a driver as I thought I was (despite being a solo run group HPDE “veteran”). After many hours of professional coaching and hundreds of miles of scrutinized lapping, I’m definitely a more competitive, safer and MUCH better driver than I used to be. I know that the high quality professional racing instruction I received at Skip Barber was well worth the cost. FYI, Skip Barber Racing School routinely offers promotions, and these discounts make the school relatively affordable and a good value.
      06-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
cmo_93
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

I too have been torn on choosing a driving school.

The Porsche Car Control Clinic for 1K sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Look into ins as well I read somewhere not long ago that BMW is you break it you bought it. Could turn into a very expensive day.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Look into ins as well I read somewhere not long ago that BMW is you break it you bought it. Could turn into a very expensive day.
It's standard practice for driving and racing school students to have "unlimited" liability for crash damage. Think about it, would you let some stranger toss your car around on a race track with absolutely no liability?

At Skip Barber, crash damage can be limited to a maximum of $ 4,000 per incident by purchasing their insurance for an additional $250 per day or $500 per course. This insurance even applies to their wheel-to-wheel race weekends. It must also be noted that a student can have more than one incident over the course of a school or race weekend.
      06-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I did the 2-day PSDS. All instructors were race-licensed, professional drivers or ex-racing drivers. The thing I loved about it, and this isn't for everyone, was that there is no instructor in the car with you from the get-go. They ride one time with you at the end. You are split into groups, given the car, and they coach you over the radio through all of the track sessions. Typically they're in the car with you for the most of the drills one time only. I learn SO much better this way. I don't want to pay a lot of money to sit in a classroom for hours and be lectured about it. I learn by doing. The intro lecture was 45 mins. and and 15 of that was a fun Q & A session. They're idea of showing you the track is take you around it in the van and explain everything you should be doing as they are driving you through it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's standard practice for driving and racing school students to have "unlimited" liability for crash damage. Think about it, would you let some stranger toss your car around on a race track with absolutely no liability?

At Skip Barber, crash damage can be limited to a maximum of $ 4,000 per incident by purchasing their insurance for an additional $250 per day or $500 per course. This insurance even applies to their wheel-to-wheel race weekends. It must also be noted that a student can have more than one incident over the course of a school or race weekend.
Right I knew all that, was just pointing to a recent thread (that I didn't link) where this was discussed in depth. Not arguing with the logic, just trying to throw some info out for others so there are no nasty surprises.

That's why a lot of track day issues are towed off the track and down the street before calling insurance companies. None of that is covered either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Maybe you have already , but if not, before you spend the money on a school why not do a couple of autocross events with your local BMW or PCA and at least two HPDE so you get a feel for your car and your ability to drive it at speed. First few DE events you will have an instructor more than capable to keep you safe and get you familiarized with the protocalls, terms and driving at a track. If you like it then spend the big bucks at a franchise school, at least by then you should be in a position to take full advantage of what you are paying for. Remember keep the shiny side up!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Maybe you have already , but if not, before you spend the money on a school why not do a couple of autocross events with your local BMW or PCA and at least two HPDE so you get a feel for your car and your ability to drive it at speed. First few DE events you will have an instructor more than capable to keep you safe and get you familiarized with the protocalls, terms and driving at a track. If you like it then spend the big bucks at a franchise school, at least by then you should be in a position to take full advantage of what you are paying for. Remember keep the shiny side up!
This makes sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #10
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Have you considered taking a course at Skip Barber Racing School? They offer high performance driving programs too. Being instructed and coached by pros was an extremely valuable and humbling experience for me. I'm a graduate of the Skip Barber MazdaSpeed (MX-5) 3-Day Racing School, Advanced Car Control School and the MazdaSpeed 2-Day Advanced Racing School (3 times). I’m also a graduate of the dearly departed Hawaii International racing School (SCCA Spec Racers). It was during the first day of the 3-Day Racing School, when I quickly realized that I wasn’t nearly as good a driver as I thought I was (despite being a solo run group HPDE “veteran”). After many hours of professional coaching and hundreds of miles of scrutinized lapping, I’m definitely a more competitive, safer and MUCH better driver than I used to be. I know that the high quality professional racing instruction I received at Skip Barber was well worth the cost. FYI, Skip Barber Racing School routinely offers promotions, and these discounts make the school relatively affordable and a good value.
I agree. I think if anyone wants to learn advanced driving skills, then he/she should attend the Skip Barber racing school. But if he/she just want to learn some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking, then Porsche or BMW school is enough, and a cheaper option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I agree. I think if anyone wants to learn advanced driving skills, then he/she should attend the Skip Barber racing school. But if he/she just want to learn some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking, then Porsche or BMW school is enough, and a cheaper option.
PSDS is SO much more than "some basic skills like catching a slide or emergency braking".
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
SDH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
Well said mr barber, couldn't have advertised you racing school any better myself
Appreciate 0