BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2016 F20 LCI LED headlights dim

12-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #23
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
So what it says is that the normal LED lights are "8 power", and the adaptive one (option on all 1-series) is "14 power"?
Indeed. "Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Selective Beam, with 14 power LEDs for high and low beam, with automatic beam-throw control and high-beam assistance" - this must be what OP (eseres) has.

"14 power LEDs": I wonder if it really should read "14 power" LEDs or 14 "power(?) LEDs" - an addition for corner lighting (no fog lights on M140i)?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Indeed. "Adaptive LED headlights with BMW Selective Beam, with 14 power LEDs for high and low beam, with automatic beam-throw control and high-beam assistance" - this must be what OP (eseres) has.
That explains why there are only two possible part numbers for LED lights as well. With and without the adaptive bit.

Quote:
"14 power LEDs": I wonder if it really should read "14 power" LEDs or 14 "power(?) LEDs" - an addition for corner lighting (no fog lights on M140i)?
It would make sense to have more LEDs to control where the light is going. But I doubt that all 14 are used at the same time during normal driving. Probably 8 or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #25
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze55 View Post
I have a m140i and the led headlights are fantastic
Just incidentally, what was your previous (or what is your other) car's headlight technology (your impression is based on comparison with): halogen, Xenon, LED?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #26
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m140i

Quote:
Just incidentally, what was your previous (or what is your other) car's headlight technology (your impression is based on comparison with): halogen, Xenon, LED?
I had a 2008 bmw 135i factory fitted with xennons. The LEDs on the m140i are far superior.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #27
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I had a 2008 bmw 135i factory fitted with xennons. The LEDs on the m140i are far superior.
Xenon headlights appear (reportedly) degrading over time before they go down completely (like those stars in the sky, but just a tad faster ):

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783937

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...354#post257354

https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/09...about-to-fail/

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s...bulbs-2796500/

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ligh...vy-useage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-i...mp#End_of_life
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 04:41 AM   #28
eseres
Rep
Drives: 2016 F20 LCI

Quote:
Here is a link to the Australian 1 series specification guide, refer to the lighting section for details of the differences in lighting fitout of different models. There are 3 different headlight fitouts halogen, 8 power led and 14 power led.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...k5iSkdqQjVFZTA
jaze55,

Thanks for posting the specs. Interestingly, the specs available in Hungary calls out 8 LEDs for both LED and Adaptive LED headlights - no difference for M140i. So I guess it could be an Australia specific option? I would be disappointed but if that were the case but also view it as a ray of hope that maybe I could get it upgraded to 14 LEDs somehow.

Erik
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #29
eseres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
That explains why there are only two possible part numbers for LED lights as well. With and without the adaptive bit.

It would make sense to have more LEDs to control where the light is going. But I doubt that all 14 are used at the same time during normal driving. Probably 8 or so.
Right, that is the other very annoying bit: at speeds below about 50km/h, the Adaptive LEDs open up wider than at faster speeds, leaving a dark spot right in front of the driver. I believe that with 14 LEDs, that issue is (would be) probably nonexistent.

Erik
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #30
eseres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3f View Post
"The inner lights are actually just design elements on the non-M140s, there is no light bulb/LED or anything in them. I wonder if the M140s maybe do have LEDs in the inner eyes, too... Or if they indeed have 14 LEDs, are they all in the outer ones or...?"

I will be very disappointed, if it just for looks. Really all that effort to make a fake light! Should just make it looks like the 2002 single round light. or at least a fog light, I will definitely find out more about the inner light in 2 weeks when visit to the BMW service.
ch3f,

Let us know what you find out about your inner lights... The fog lights on the non-Ms are in the grill below and they double as cornering lights. Since the M140i/M135i don't have the fog lights in the grills, maybe the main headlight units are different from the non-Ms?

Erik
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseres View Post
I guess it could be an Australia specific option? I would be disappointed but if that were the case but also view it as a ray of hope that maybe I could get it upgraded to 14 LEDs somehow.
They state "14 power LEDs" in UK as well: http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di...model=1-series (choose "Packages" | "LED Headlight Package | "LED Headlights"). Notice that they drive on the other side too if that matters. Yet LHD BMW country sites just don't seem to get into those details.

And just incidentally here's the official Australian link: http://www.bmw.com.au/en/all-models/...ion_guide.html (notice the guide is scrolled within the browser window separately).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:52 AM   #32
eseres
Rep

Quote:
They state "14 power LEDs" in UK as well: http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/di...model=1-series (choose "Packages" | "LED Headlight Package | "LED Headlights"). Notice that they drive on the other side too if that matters. Yet LHD BMW country sites just don't seem to get into those details.

And just incidentally here's the official Australian link: http://www.bmw.com.au/en/all-models/...ion_guide.html (notice the guide is scrolled within the browser window separately).
No one,

That is really odd. If you "Build your own" 1 series on the UK site, and pick LED headlights or Adaptive LED headlights from the "Optional equipment", regardless of whether you are building an M140i or a non-M, and you click on "Details" for the option, it will spec 8 LEDs, not 14. Clearly, there is inconsistency regarding the number of LEDs. I wonder which is true now but I'm a bit afraid that it is 8 LEDs for all 1 series. (For the 3 series, they list 10 LEDs in the "Details" description.)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #33
let me out of this forum
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive 25d

Halos

Sorry for taking this thread a bit out of line...
But have any of you noticed a difference in colour in the rings (DRL)?

There is a clear difference on my 118D F20 LCI. Left side is bright white/blue where as the right one is more "green/yellow-ish".
I mentioned it at the shop when i was there for an oil change. They also noticed it and have brought it up with BMW. Still waiting for an answer.

Apparently you need to replace to whole head light and not just the LED-bulb ( which i have done on a couple of E91īs)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #34
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseres View Post
I wonder which is true now but I'm a bit afraid that it is 8 LEDs for all 1 series.
That's the point.

Why don't you just post a picture/video of your headlights light spot for those who admire theirs to compare?

Like this:

Last edited by No one; 01-03-2017 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:36 AM   #35
eseres
Rep

Quote:
That's the point.

Why don't you just post a picture/video of your headlights light spot for those who admire theirs to compare?
No one,

Good idea. Here is a pic of the light output. Inside the red circle, find the dark spot. Because it is Adaptive LED the light, and the dark spot with it, move as the steering wheel moves. I find it very distracting.

Erik
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #36
No one
Major
Rep

Quite a nice light. Mine's no better I reckon, maybe a bit worse, but it's hard to tell as I drive on lit streets/highway. Regarding the dark spot, it looks like the compliment for an oncoming driver: if you had halogen everything would be that dark that far, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #37
eseres
Rep

Quote:
Quite a nice light. Mine's no better I reckon, maybe a bit worse, but it's hard to tell as I drive on lit streets/highway. Regarding the dark spot, it looks like the compliment for an oncoming driver: if you had halogen everything would be that dark that far, I guess.
No one,

That dark spot is only there when below 50km/h. Above that speed, the left side light projects more forward than to the side and so it closes up and eliminates the spot. If it were there to be easy on oncoming drivers, I'd have to think it would always be there.

Regarding it being brighter than halogen, unfortunately that is not the case. When I drive on the highway and cars pass me, their light patterns on the road almost always dominate mine, including newer halogens - which I think is a shame and that is what frustrates me the most. I will shoot a video next week to show what I'm talking about.

Erik
Appreciate 0