BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F2x MP BBK ++ - initial impressions

03-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #1
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

F2x MP BBK ++ - initial impressions

My brake upgrade completed as follows:-

Calipers
  • Front - swapped std blue m sport to larger F30 Oe blue m-sport calipers
  • Rear - no change
Discs - all round OE MP BBK discs c/w OE larger protection plates
  • front [370mm]
  • rear [345mm]
Pads c/w new wear sensors
  • Front - OE M3/M4 sport pads;
  • Rear - OE MP pads at the rear
Lines - HEL ss braided hoses - black

BF - DOT 5.1

Pad break-in ritual as follows to get the disc and pad temperatures high enough to ship pad material evenly to the disc faces:-
  • Light braking to warm the pads and discs.
  • 8-10 hard stops*, 60-5mph in quick succession.
    *Hard stop = getting to the point of ABS intervention, but not actually triggering.
  • Brake pressure must be released as you approach stop - do not stop the car after each deceleration.
  • Repeated above with some higher speed deceleration, say 80-10 on a private closed road......
  • Drive for several miles afterwards to let the brakes cool.

The std car's brakes are very good - I think EU spec M135i pads are superb for DD and occasional track work - so the m2/m3/m4 sport pads were a leap of faith. However, although its early days, so far no noise but wow can this thing pull up...pedal feel is definitely improved [I have yet to get the DSC/ABS recoded which I think will soften the pedal a tad] with great initial bite but still progressive and easy to modulate [important to me and I was concerned that I might make the brakes too binary].

BP

461m trial fit

Front

usual 397's
Front

Rear
      03-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The most critical factor is to get the brake balance spot on. If you change more in one end of the car than the other, you will increase your stopping distance. A lot of brake "upgrades" end up like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The most critical factor is to get the brake balance spot on. If you change more in one end of the car than the other, you will increase your stopping distance. A lot of brake "upgrades" end up like that.
Agree - hence why I opted for an OEM upgrade in terms of the calipers, pads and discs.

During break-in of pads/discs, the force you feel, that makes you lean forward when braking hard enough w/o activating ABS, is noticeably more for a shorter period of time. Indicates greater power and shorter distance.

Don't get me wrong the std m135i brakes are good - the initial comparative impressions are that these take the brakes to the next level.
      03-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

The optimum braking happens with the tyres on the limit of locking up, and even the stock brakes can do that. I don't think it is possible to reduce the braking distance. It should however be possible to get rid of more heat than the stock brakes can do, and brake better after several hard stops. Usually the most efficient way to achieve this, is to install air hoses from the front of the car to the brake hubs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, "optimum braking" occurs for a shorter time and distance based on my current set v std m sport setup.

Bigger disc diameter means vented slots on circumference of discs is moving faster through the air increasing the cooling effect. Extra leverage from large discs means that brake force is increased for same pressure applied....

As far as air ducts, I noticed that LCI M135i doesn't have the open ducts as per Pre LCI so not sure if or how you can remove blanking plates from inner wheelarch liner - as per thread below - works on the LCI cars ?
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtop...=ducts#p775132

03-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I think it is possible to open the air ducts. My previous 2012 116i M-Sport had them open from the factory, while they are closed on my LCI 118i M-Sport (with M-Sport brakes). Maybe I don't need to with only 136 hp! :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Is your LCI 118i 3 cyl ?

How does the engine compare with pre LCI 4 cyl ?
      03-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update - did a dash from South London to Brighton [south coast UK] to home in SW London last night.

Motorway there and empty, cross-country roads on the return journey.

This brake setup is, in a word, immense.
      03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Is your LCI 118i 3 cyl ?

How does the engine compare with pre LCI 4 cyl ?
Yes, that's the one. I haven't run it in yet, but it feels rather similar so far. I prefer the 3 cylinder sound, but it seems to run slightly rougher under 1400 RPM than the four. And it rev matches automagically. Turbo lag is similar or maybe less.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I think it is possible to open the air ducts. My previous 2012 116i M-Sport had them open from the factory, while they are closed on my LCI 118i M-Sport (with M-Sport brakes). Maybe I don't need to with only 136 hp! :-)
I'm sorry but (already from the first pictures released) the F20 LCI doesn't seem to have anymore the brake ducts, even on the M135i pictured above. That's one of the most deceiving parts of the BMW vision for the future, I guess the aesthetics primed as well as the cost of the (extensive for a LCI) modifications, who cares any more for "Form follows function" (traditionally associated to the M sport packages) ? Not the almighty marketing department and not the future FWD buyers, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I opened my brake ducts for my track day in my pre LCI M135i; the brakes coped really well.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #12
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

In fact, the non-M sport line does have two dedicated ducts to the brakes, plus one wing-duct to the intercooler. The humble looks, does have full functionality.
Appreciate 0