BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW M135i vs A45 AMG vs S3 Review by CAR

09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Agree that including the S3 is not fair game and the RS3 is more appropriate. Also like and back the comment that if BMW are going to stick an M badge on a car, then it should perform to M division expectations and IS fair game.

I am getting tired of BMW putting M on everything and charging for it when you dont necessarily end up with a true M product.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #24
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau
Agree that including the S3 is not fair game and the RS3 is more appropriate. Also like and back the comment that if BMW are going to stick an M badge on a car, then it should perform to M division expectations and IS fair game.

I am getting tired of BMW putting M on everything and charging for it when you dont necessarily end up with a true M product.
Yup but when over 50% of UK buyers purchase M Sport (which is about as diluted as you can get) the chances of ///M meaning just that is slim. I don't know why they didn't go down the 'is' route or call it 's' or 'p' or something other than M but that's what sells so I suppose I do know why.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #25
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

This test has been around for a while I think, right?

A fair few UK magazines do give the win to the A45. Although Evo magazine (which I'm a big fan of) gave the win to the M135i in their A45 vs M135i comparison, as did Autocar.

To be honest I've test driven both and prefer the M135i.
- performance felt very similar to me overall but the M135i has more oomph down low. Take away the launch control and acceleration times are very similar so not much in it.
- gearbox: preferred the 8sp auto in the M135i. The A45 dsg works well on upshifts but its jerky at low speed and often has a mind of its own when trying to manually downshift
- Exhaust noise the M135i wins hands down
- looks are entirely subjective, don't think either are beautiful cars but I prefer the M135i
- interior I prefer the M135i, but again subjective. The A45 feels more "racy" for sure but just can't get over that stuck on screen and the centre stack is very busy.
- handling: the A45 does have better ride control and outright grip, with the M135i having more body roll. Didnt get a chance to push them but I like the fact that the M135i is RWD and the balance that comes with that. Some will prefer the AWD grip of the merc so guess its another personal preference.

Add in that the A45 is more expensive (substantially more in UK, less so in Australia but still $10-15k AUD difference) and it was an easy choice for me. No doubt they're both fantastic cars and its great for the hot hatch segment to have them both pushing one another.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Agree that a more compelling comparison will be with the M2 (which will hopefully be produced!), but a nice article nonetheless. I harbor no ill will towards MB, as our MB SUV, purchased new in 1999, is carrying on and in great shape this many years later. But I'm a BMW guy at heart. I'm looking for a smallish DD to share the duties with my M5. So far, the candidates are a 997.1 TT, the A45 and the M2 (maybe the M235i, not sure yet).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #27
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
- looks are entirely subjective, don't think either are beautiful cars but I prefer the M135i
Have to say that in real life the A45 AMG blows the M135i in the looks department.

And wait for the BLACK SERIES A45 AMG....performance-wise it's going to blow away the competition if it's anything like a true Benz Black Series.

I really like the look of the new BMW 2-series (looks like one of the best designs BMW has to date), I just hope it can keep pace with the A45 AMG BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #28
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M Sport and M135i looks better than the Merc... When it's about taste it's impossible to please everyone
I'm sure that BMW will offer an M2 because they will not be satisfied with the last place after the RS3 will come out
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
samboy37
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 lci m3 mw/black/black/mpe

Hi guys
First post
Ordered an estoril blue m 135i last week and very excited. Hoping to be delivered before the end of thevyear i guess
Specced it right up as I compared to the a45. I had originally ordered the a45 as, until bmw shifted its price point, the m135i was too expensive on direct spec comparison. Got a great deal at my local bm dealer and it came in about 4 grand cheaper than the MB with comparable options
Sat in an a45 in Scotland. Seats very encompassing and sporty but would be uncomfortable as a daily commuter I felt.
Considered the performance exhaust. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions. Any idea of costs installed.
Also considering full circle.
Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #30
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Another test testing apples and banana's; idiots.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo88
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffoul232 View Post
Well don't quite get why all the mags are comparing awd models to rwd model. They do know that the m135i comes in xdrive. Apart from that its a nice feeling that an m-lite can compete with a bonkers amg model. And towards the end of the article they forgot to mention the benchmark/king of hatches the golf mk7 r. Look wise it's personal but engineering wise it's quite the bullet. For me it's 1) m135i 2) golfr 3) a45 4)s3

The new Golf R and the Audi S3 shares the platform, the engine, and almost everything except the chassis and some interior parts. So we already know what to expect from WV.
they share the chassis too. the interiors are usually totally different.

what's important to remember about Audi and VW is that even when they share platforms, they engineer their cars very differently. Audi focus on traction and rigidity, whereas VW generally focuses more on making the car feel lighter than it is. Hence they will feel different when you're driving them.

I had the first allocation/deposit in this country for an upcoming S3 sedan and cancelled it to buy a 135is----why? because I'd rather have a bit of fun than have never ending traction!

I had considered a CLA45 AMG but don't really like the way it looks....and really didn't want a 4 cylinder (have owned many 4 bangers). I feel like the CLA AMG is a very nice car----but lacks some imagination. It's like MB tried too hard to create something a bit crazy like the 1M....but I guess I should reserve total judgement til I drive one.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
they share the chassis too. the interiors are usually totally different.

what's important to remember about Audi and VW is that even when they share platforms, they engineer their cars very differently. Audi focus on traction and rigidity, whereas VW generally focuses more on making the car feel lighter than it is. Hence they will feel different when you're driving them.

I had the first allocation/deposit in this country for an upcoming S3 sedan and cancelled it to buy a 135is----why? because I'd rather have a bit of fun than have never ending traction!

I had considered a CLA45 AMG but don't really like the way it looks....and really didn't want a 4 cylinder (have owned many 4 bangers). I feel like the CLA AMG is a very nice car----but lacks some imagination. It's like MB tried too hard to create something a bit crazy like the 1M....but I guess I should reserve total judgement til I drive one.
I honestly believe that last time Daimler-Benz tried "something crazy" was the first generation SLK in 1990s. It all fits in today's market segmentation these "Gran Coupe"s with 4 door and coupe shape and a higher price tag than a regular sedan. It is a different form of crossover offering in a world where customers increasingly prefer among the lines products which offer a bit of everything. IMHO 1M is exact opposite of all this.

Also, I keep on seeing CLAs here, like the regular A series and I really find that there is something feeling wrong with the proportions of the CLA in real World. Interestingly I find A series much better looking in person, and if there is anyone feeling that a new 1 series hatch looks better well then my bet is that person is in absolute minority. New 1 doesn't even look like a new car in person, especially from side and rear, while the front is down right bizarre. However, I think that is still the best car in its segment, despite its looks, or lack of it.

Lastly, if I had to buy a A or CLA I would be forced to "custom destroy" the screen in order to drive anywhere without feeling nausea.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I honestly believe that last time Daimler-Benz tried "something crazy" was the first generation SLK in 1990s. It all fits in today's market segmentation these "Gran Coupe"s with 4 door and coupe shape and a higher price tag than a regular sedan. It is a different form of crossover offering in a world where customers increasingly prefer among the lines products which offer a bit of everything. IMHO 1M is exact opposite of all this.

Also, I keep on seeing CLAs here, like the regular A series and I really find that there is something feeling wrong with the proportions of the CLA in real World. Interestingly I find A series much better looking in person, and if there is anyone feeling that a new 1 series hatch looks better well then my bet is that person is in absolute minority. New 1 doesn't even look like a new car in person, especially from side and rear, while the front is down right bizarre. However, I think that is still the best car in its segment, despite its looks, or lack of it.

Lastly, if I had to buy a A or CLA I would be forced to "custom destroy" the screen in order to drive anywhere without feeling nausea.
No doubt that the A-class is more of a looker than the 1 series. The other day I saw a group of people standing around an A200 AMG and taking pictures. It was quite amusing to me.
The 1 series will definitely rock its world dynamically though!
As for the CLA, I'm really liking it, although I have not seen one in person yet. I can see the controversy with the oddly proportioned glasshouse, but I still love the overall look nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #34
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext
Quote:
Have to say that in real life the A45 AMG blows the M135i in the looks department.

And wait for the BLACK SERIES A45 AMG....performance-wise it's going to blow away the competition if it's anything like a true Benz Black Series.

I really like the look of the new BMW 2-series (looks like one of the best designs BMW has to date), I just hope it can keep pace with the A45 AMG BS.
Which is why I said that the looks preference is entirely subjective. I've seen both in the flesh and prefer the look of the M135i. Not as attention grabbing sure, but to me it's the better looking for my tastes
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #35
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

It's fairly obvious why magazines are pitting A45 against M135, BMW what the fuck are you doing, time to stop napping and roll out a new 1M or M2.

I am in the market now for a car. Cannot decide between the CLA45 or a Cayman S.
      09-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #36
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Which is why I said that the looks preference is entirely subjective. I've seen both in the flesh and prefer the look of the M135i. Not as attention grabbing sure, but to me it's the better looking for my tastes
No disrespect to Merc I like their C class it looks great, but at very first glance I thought the A class was a Ford Focus...

As for apples and bananas, too right! For the record though, bananas win.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

I don't know why u guys can't give credit whee it's due. I own a M5 which has only 4000km on the clock. I have just ordered the new cla45 yesterday as my daily driver. I think the 45 is a technological masterpiece . Imaging a 2 liter producing that power and i will be able to rev and enjoy that on populated highways. And what about that fuel consumption figure. I thinks it's amazing. Yes I agree the drawback is the screen but on my m5 my passenger seat belt knocks on the cheap plastic all the time and that's a car that cost more than double of the cla. So every car has some faults. Here in South Africa bmw has no car that can compare to this with a 2 ltr motor. Can't wait to get mine in 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #38
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Yup but when over 50% of UK buyers purchase M Sport (which is about as diluted as you can get) the chances of ///M meaning just that is slim. I don't know why they didn't go down the 'is' route or call it 's' or 'p' or something other than M but that's what sells so I suppose I do know why.
Because 90% of the general public can't distinguish between an i, ci, is and xi whereas everyone knows M. So if you're the type that cares to show off your car, you'd much rather have M over 'is'
      11-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

The A45 is obviously a brilliant car and they will sell like hotcakes because Mercedes has realised there is potential in this market segment. They realise that manuals are dying, and people do not care as much about driver focussed cars any more whereby you actually need to know how to drive.

Here's my point: Anyone who buys an AMG A45 or CLA or whatever, each and every single owner can use launch control, have AWD grip and hit an amazing
0-62mph (or 0-100km/h depending on where you live) and you don't have to be a skilled driver to do so. Kudos to Mercedes, but I guess I am one of the few people that wants to be rewarded when I drive and hone my driving skills (I'm an enthusiast right?) Try launching a RWD manual car and getting consistent acceleration figures.

But this is the direction the world is heading to and Mercedes will sell this car like mad because this is what people want. I will always choose a BMW so long as they offer a manual transmission with a RWD set-up.

But again, clever move by Mercedes. Will be interesting to see how BMW respond.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0