BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Review: The Infamous BMW Y Cable

07-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #45
dubman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
Also, annoyingly, one of my colleagues who ordered the enhanced bluetooth/usb option says he can just plug his iPod into the USB port using the OEM Apple cable, and it all works fine!!!!!
Yes that's my understanding also. I'll be doing this as there's no point in buying the iPhone cradle with the new model on the way.....

Last edited by dubman; 07-03-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:32 AM   #46
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
you're right- and i can bet BMW will take their sweet time bringing out a cable- however whats more likley to happen is there will be an adapter you can buy to convert an existing cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #47
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

seems as if I'm shelling out for the H/K sound system, I might as well get extended bluetooth to improve my ipod sound quality.

will be nice to plug my iphone into a cradle as well, charge it and use an exterior aerial.

Pity that even though the 125i here has the basic bluetooth as standard, extended bluetooth costs exactly the same as on models without any bluetooth. It's just such a flipping expensive option!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #48
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Can you retro-fit extended bluetooth option in a car with the standard factory BT kit?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #49
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenyaman View Post
Can you retro-fit extended bluetooth option in a car with the standard factory BT kit?
Anyone knows...?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #50
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 120d F20 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilC View Post
Also, annoyingly, one of my colleagues who ordered the enhanced bluetooth/usb option says he can just plug his iPod into the USB port using the OEM Apple cable, and it all works fine!!!!!
Having tested both the standard and enhanced bluetooth USB before ordering I can confirm, the enhanced does work directly off your standard USB Apple Cable.

Also, the Album artwork displays on the standard idrive screen (no sat nav option)!!

I will comment, that without these forums and the fact I tried and tested all these options myself, BMW don't clearly define what the different upgrade options do and don't do, and to a degree the sales staff also appeared to not be sure.

All in all, in my opinion worth the extra pennies!!
      07-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #51
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
Having tested both the standard and enhanced bluetooth USB before ordering I can confirm, the enhanced does work directly off your standard USB Apple Cable.
Also, the Album artwork displays on the standard idrive screen (no sat nav option)!!
I will comment, that without these forums and the fact I tried and tested all these options myself, BMW don't clearly define what the different upgrade options do and don't do, and to a degree the sales staff also appeared to not be sure.
All in all, in my opinion worth the extra pennies!!
So what's the difference between the standard and enhanced BT USB in terms of hardware??
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:14 AM   #52
hufc2002
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d M Sport

I have the standard usb in my F20 and although I should be receiving my FREE Y cable either today or tomorrow (dealer rang me yesterday to say he had posted it) I think I will just use my USB stick for music and my phone as errrr.....a phone.

Estoril Blue 118d M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #53
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufc2002 View Post
I have the standard usb in my F20 and although I should be receiving my FREE Y cable either today or tomorrow (dealer rang me yesterday to say he had posted it) I think I will just use my USB stick for music and my phone as errrr.....a phone.
The enhanced supports all Apple products, Iphone, Ipod and Nano, in fact I don't use my phone, its a pain to keep pluging it in and out, I have a nano that stays in the car, much easier!!
      07-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #54
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So what's the difference between the standard and enhanced BT USB in terms of hardware??
Not 100% sure on this, but I think the hardware is the same, its more the software
      07-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #55
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Not 100% sure on this, but I think the hardware is the same, its more the software
Pretty expensive if it's just a software update! (around 450€, isn't it?)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #56
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think options are priced based on the added value the customer is willing to pay for, not the actual production cost. Adobe Photoshop is also just software, but not exactly cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #57
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

Hey Guys,

I ordered a Bluetooth and USB connectivity option with my car, but how do I know if it supports Apple products without a Y cable?
      07-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #58
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Why dont you only use a plain USB connection from your ipod? Works perfect in my F11.

Last edited by Touring; 07-13-2012 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #59
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Marvelous View Post
Hey Guys,

I ordered a Bluetooth and USB connectivity option with my car, but how do I know if it supports Apple products without a Y cable?
The Enhanced Bluetooth and USB is the option referenced 6NK, just check your order before wasting pennies on the Y cable
      07-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #60
Jonny_G
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: Jeep Patriot CRD

[QUOTE=Bogus;12318087]

QUOTE]

Are you being serious? You can honestly get album art on the 6.5" screen? I did not know that.

I'm loving my 116d ED and my BMW Loudspeaker/y-cable setup is reasonably good...but I wish I had gone for HK/Enhanced USB.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #61
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

I checked with my dealer yesterday, and they weren't able to tell if the difference between 6NH and 6NK only involves a software update. Actually they believed there must definitely be a hardware upgrade involved which might be the phone cradle, given the price gap. They're looking into it and will get back to me on monday...
I also asked for the Alpine sound upgrade and as far as they know, the hardware improvement compared to the standard hi-fi system is just a new amplifier and new set of speakers under the dashboard, but NO door-mounted tweet speakers...!
In the mean time, I got myself this:

Last edited by Brenyaman; 07-14-2012 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #62
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

Quote:
The Enhanced Bluetooth and USB is the option referenced 6NK, just check your order before wasting pennies on the Y cable
Mine is a 6NH... Darn...
      07-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #63
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Pinched from another Forum, hope this is of help,

6NH Hands-free facility with USB interface
wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Enables convenient connection of an MP3
player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle. Playback of the audio files via the
vehicle's audio system, operation by equipment-dependent controls (radio controls,
multifunction for steering wheel) of the vehicle. Including 12 V power socket in storage
compartment of armrest front

6NK Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices
wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Expansion by separate snap-in adapter
(available through BMW Parts and Accessories) for charging function and connection to
external aerial possible (not in combination with option code 807 'Japanese version').
Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the
vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive controller, favourites buttons,
multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle. Utilisation of the voice
control system possible only in combination with option code 249 'Multifunction for steering
wheel'. Including a 12 V socket in storage compartment of armrest front.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device:
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by selecting
'Office' from the menu.
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control
Display.
- Bluetooth audio streaming.
- At any given time, 2 mobile phone and one audio player can be paired via Bluetooth.
View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface.

6NL Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices including BMW Assistwireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Expansion by separate snap-in adapter
(available through BMW Parts and Accessories) for charging function and connection to
external aerial possible. Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or
USB memory stick in the vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive
controller, favourites buttons, multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle.
Utilisation of the voice control system possible only in combination with option code 249
'Multifunction for steering wheel'. Separate SIM card for BMW telematics and BMW online
services integrated into the vehicle. Including emergency call button and a 12 V socket in
storage compartment of armrest front.
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by selecting
'Office' from the menu.
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control
Display.
- At any given time, 2 mobile phone and one audio player can be paired via Bluetooth.
- View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface
      07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #64
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
I checked with my dealer yesterday, and they weren't able to tell if the difference between 6NH and 6NK only involves a software update. Actually they believed there must definitely be a hardware upgrade involved which might be the phone cradle, given the price gap. They're looking into it and will get back to me on monday...
I also asked for the Alpine sound upgrade and as far as they know, the hardware improvement compared to the standard hi-fi system is just a new amplifier and new set of speakers under the dashboard, but NO door-mounted tweet speakers...!
There IS a physical difference between the two- i got a quite for the retrofit- and it involved a new head unit, and new bluetooth unit.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #65
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Pinched from another Forum, hope this is of help,

6NH Hands-free facility with USB interface
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Enables convenient connection of an MP3
player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle. Playback of the audio files via the
vehicle's audio system, operation by equipment-dependent controls (radio controls,
multifunction for steering wheel) of the vehicle. Including 12 V power socket in storage
compartment of armrest front

6NK Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices
external aerial possible (not in combination with option code 807 'Japanese version').
Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the
vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive controller, favourites buttons,
multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle. Utilisation of the voice
control system possible only in combination with option code 249 'Multifunction for steering
wheel'. Including a 12 V socket in storage compartment of armrest front.
'Office' from the menu.
Display.
View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface.

6NL Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices including BMW Assistwireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
external aerial possible. Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or
USB memory stick in the vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive
controller, favourites buttons, multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle.
Utilisation of the voice control system possible only in combination with option code 249
'Multifunction for steering wheel'. Separate SIM card for BMW telematics and BMW online
services integrated into the vehicle. Including emergency call button and a 12 V socket in
storage compartment of armrest front.
'Office' from the menu.
Display.
- View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface
It is helpful indeed!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #66
NeilC
Rep
Drives: 116ED

Quote:
It is helpful indeed!
Although it doesn't mention that you need a y-cable with the 6NH but no
with the 6NK.

If you read it, you would get the impression that you can plug the iPod into the USB on both options the same way!
Appreciate 0