BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Evolve E-sport for M135i - 282kw/576nm

09-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #23
simple_man
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Interesting chart, which confirms my concern to some extent. I'm ol' skool (not too old) so AFRs like this are, on first glance, terrifying. But so is the stock AFR plot. I wonder what a BMW tech would think? The chart also begs the question about exhaust gas temperatures (EGTs). I wonder if Evolve has a chart of these as well. If the tuned chart has higher EGTs (probably not all that much higher, actually) I'd be worried about the increased risk of turbo failure.
Got to remember that N55 is direct injection. By design, it's a lean-burn and EGT's are controlled within the limit due to improved fuel burn/efficiency. It may not act as true DI under WOT+BOOST but still have much improved burn patten within cylinder (think specially shaped piston and chamber top).

Regardless, I would hate to see mine M135i been run any leaner than stock with added boost. Risky endeavor without proper R&D.

Pending some proper ECU flash to come on the market. Piggy-back is a band aid. Cannot tap in to full ECU potential and adds some unnecessary risk.
There is so much untapped mid-RPM torque right there between 1500-4500
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Can someone inform me, a somewhat clueless man, why one would take this tune over the JB4? As far as piggybacks go, it would seem that JB4 is a reasonably safe setup that's been around for a while, and a few extra hp's shouldn't matter. If it was the matter of a real flash like a Cobb, it'd be another story, but it seems like six of one, half a dozen of another. Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?
      09-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #25
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

It is blindingly-obvious with a little more information. Evolve-Technic is an Australian company, hence some level of support here downunder. When I inquired some time ago, while you can acquire the JB4 here, there is no support except by picking up the phone and calling the UK (this may have changed).

My preference is to wait for a flash, like the Cobb or rumoured DMS....but I've been waiting a while.
Appreciate 0