BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M235i/135i vs E92 M3

06-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
DougM
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp DCT

M235i/135i vs E92 M3

BMW drive experience at phillip island race track today

Consensus among participants seems to be the m235i was the giant killer. Drove that first then the M3 and was a bit underwhelmed by the M3s lack of torque and punch out of corners. DCT was clunky by comparison to the 8 speed auto as well. On the Main straight the M3 started to haul arse hitting 235 on a soaking track compared with 5-10 km/h less in the m235i. And there is no doubt the v8 sounds fabulous, especially blips on downshift. But everywhere else the smaller car felt very more impressive. m3 a bit harder to turn in and balance in corners as well. My modified M135i would have showed up the M3.

There were several new M3/4s in the pit garage - unfortunately we missed driving these by a couple of weeks. M3 in blue and red/orange looked fabulous.

I should add the 428i was a tidy handler and performed quite well - a great road car and still reasonably quick. Just a shame it sounds like a washing machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Robo_70
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d & M135i

I just missed getting a spot this week but will be in the next program. They did say the new m3/4 will be included from July so possibly worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
Robo_70
Australia
Rep

But was the M235i much better than your M135i? Given they start at $15k more are they that much better?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
DougM
Australia
Rep

No. I considered a new m235i but when the dealer said A$96k plus options drive away....I walked away and bought a 10 month old M135i fully loaded with options for $63k.

M235i is a tad wider inside which is nice. Standard Exhaust note is a bit nicer. But jumping back in mine to head home and it sounds better (m performance exhaust) and pulls harder (chip). Just felt more aggressive and exciting. Prefer looks of 2 but I prefer practicality of 4 doors for school run etc. In summary, very little difference in my opinion. Price difference not justified.

LSD in my car is a massive improvement. Not sure if 2's had LSD - I would think yes but they wouldn't let us beyond sport (no sport+ or disc off action) so hard to be sure.

Highlight of the day - 4 people riding in M3 driven by an instructor, full pace in the wet and second lap, traction off drifting at 120-140km/h in the wet. Great car control, amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Robo_70
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M135i View Post

Highlight of the day - 4 people riding in M3 driven by an instructor, full pace in the wet and second lap, traction off drifting at 120-140km/h in the wet. Great car control, amazing.
So some underpants in need of a wash then

LSD is optional in M235i also so you would be spending over $100k.. Agree can't be justified.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M135i View Post
No. I considered a new m235i but when the dealer said A$96k plus options drive away....I walked away and bought a 10 month old M135i fully loaded with options for $63k.

M235i is a tad wider inside which is nice. Standard Exhaust note is a bit nicer. But jumping back in mine to head home and it sounds better (m performance exhaust) and pulls harder (chip). Just felt more aggressive and exciting. Prefer looks of 2 but I prefer practicality of 4 doors for school run etc. In summary, very little difference in my opinion. Price difference not justified.

LSD in my car is a massive improvement. Not sure if 2's had LSD - I would think yes but they wouldn't let us beyond sport (no sport+ or disc off action) so hard to be sure.

Which LSD have you fitted to your M135i?

I did the M-Fascination day at Eastern Creek a couple of years ago - actually thought it was worth the spend, only in M3s and sharing the car with one other. Plenty of full laps in what was effectively Sport+, plus they allowed us to have everything off for the timed Motorkhana event and the skid pan drifting practice, so while we weren't at 10/10th on track, we were given plenty of leeway to get to know the car's quirks at the limit.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
DougM
Australia
Rep

Yeah we drove m3s with all systems off on the skid pan second gear 40 km/h boot it sideways and try to hold drift/doughnut. A bit trickier than it looks.

M235i in motorkhana was sport mode only. During Track driving all cars were in sport mode only.

I fitted a Quaife LSD and the difference in predictability and balance is great. No more squirrelly changing drive from wheel to wheel under power. Easy to hang out the tail and hold it there if you want.

The instructor lap makes us mere mortals look incompetent. I reckon I have a fair idea having driven fast cars and done maybe 20 track days with ever quicker lap times. But those blokes.....at another level. Had the same thoughts after instructor laps in a radical at eastern creek last year. Skill and ability to drive to slick grip and aero was just incredible. Hard on power way past where I braked then stand the thing on its nose and turn in hard. Firm deliberate actions, no pussying around. Highlight that day was flat 220 km/h through turn 1 at SMP no lift at all........wild!

Last edited by DougM; 06-26-2014 at 07:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Rbezzz
Rep
Drives: M135i

Haha I have done that day and also thought the 428 sounded terrible!!

Sun was out when I was there. That track has crazy grip levels.

There weren't any m1/2ers there but I did the M day as well and the M3s just were so old looking on the inside compared to the F series. I reckon your 1er with an exhaust and LSD would be just as much fun.

I think also the fact you can't go wild means you don't get the fullest from the high revving v8 whereas you get the low down torque punch from the m235
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbezzz View Post
I reckon your 1er with an exhaust and LSD would be just as much fun.
+1

I have MPE and quaife LSD on my M135i here in the UK and even on shabby UK roads, its totally transformed the cars ability to sound like it should have from the factory and getting the power down