BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need Career Help

11-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Need Career Help

I have always received great advice from everyone on this forum, so I thought I would give this a shot.
I am 31 and on the lower end as a medical device sales rep. I have had a good sales career previously to moving over to this sector. I mainly do bitch work and cover cases the guy I work with doesn’t want to do. I don’t get to do any selling at all. I completely understand earning your dues, but it is challenging being on the level of a 23 year old. As of lately it seems like he doesn’t want me around and I feel a throw under the bus is coming. I know the first response will be get a new job. My problem is I have been bouncing around too much and its really starting to affect me. Over the last two years I’ve been in a similar position at two different companies. This is a field that is all about cultivating relationships and I have started to reach out to those I have at different companies. This field tends to only hire on personal referrals and this is where I want to be. I just would like to get some outside perspective. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I have always received great advice from everyone on this forum, so I thought I would give this a shot.
I am 31 and on the lower end as a medical device sales rep. I have had a good sales career previously to moving over to this sector. I mainly do bitch work and cover cases the guy I work with doesn’t want to do. I don’t get to do any selling at all. I completely understand earning your dues, but it is challenging being on the level of a 23 year old. As of lately it seems like he doesn’t want me around and I feel a throw under the bus is coming. I know the first response will be get a new job. My problem is I have been bouncing around too much and its really starting to affect me. Over the last two years I’ve been in a similar position at two different companies. This is a field that is all about cultivating relationships and I have started to reach out to those I have at different companies. This field tends to only hire on personal referrals and this is where I want to be. I just would like to get some outside perspective. Thanks in advance.
Confused... So you know the most common response is going to be - "get a new job" but seems you don't want to do that... There isn't a magical ingredient you can sprinkle and instantly change the 24 year olds perception of you...

With that said, the part I find most interesting is that this has happened to you before and has caused you to hop around jobs... At some point you may have to dig deep and contemplate whether or not the issue could be you / work ethic / personality or if it truly is somebody else's fault all the time...

You're soliciting advice from strangers, you obviously aren't happy there and living in the pending doom phase - for your own well being, best to start fresh and maybe do things differently? I don't know you from the next guy and just going off of your cryptic post...
Appreciate 2
CANGRKE70813.50
Rob340i87.00
      12-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #3
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Confused... So you know the most common response is going to be - "get a new job" but seems you don't want to do that... There isn't a magical ingredient you can sprinkle and instantly change the 24 year olds perception of you...

With that said, the part I find most interesting is that this has happened to you before and has caused you to hop around jobs... At some point you may have to dig deep and contemplate whether or not the issue could be you / work ethic / personality or if it truly is somebody else's fault all the time...

You're soliciting advice from strangers, you obviously aren't happy there and living in the pending doom phase - for your own well being, best to start fresh and maybe do things differently? I don't know you from the next guy and just going off of your cryptic post...
Bro... you always say negative things here. Keep making a fool of yourself. Realize ppl have it tough sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your being taken advantage of. My twin brother was in a similar situation in his sales job.

I would say you should try a different sales career, tons of other things to sell, be your own boss, maintain your own client', stick to your own schedule.

Being 31 (older) can only help you, not hurt. Ppl rather trust older ppl cause they think you're more experienced.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM4Dominate View Post
Quote:

Bro... you always say negative things here. Keep making a fool of yourself. Realize ppl have it tough sometimes.
If you constitute that as negative, then you're more idiotic than we already know you to be...

Don't bother PM'ing me again humble bragging about who you know and blah blah blah... Waste of energy and time bothering with you...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you constitute that as negative, then you're more idiotic than we already know you to be...

Don't bother PM'ing me again humble bragging about who you know and blah blah blah... Waste of energy and time bothering with you...
One thing is for sure. You aren't contributing here, and you don't contribute to this forum at all.

Go be a dick to someone else.

Last edited by aBMWfan; 12-01-2017 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I wanted to add some clarification to some of the points you brought up. My intention was not to be cryptic, but concise to give enough info and not write a book.
I agree with you on the personality point- we don’t click, but he isn’t my boss and has not incentive for me succeeding. It’s a weird situation that if I ended up doing better it could take money away from him in the future. In previous positons I could show my value tangibly with the amount of revenue I generated. This position I cover for him and his revenue grows. I pride myself on being objective and I’m not saying that everything is someone else’s fault.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One thing is for sure. You aren't contributing here, and you don't contribute to this forum at all.

Go be a dick to someone else.
Oh I'm sorry, and your continuous millennial mentality is going to help? LOLOL... Age doesn't equate to being entitled to shit... Whenever you open your mouth, it's groan inducing... Hate to break it to you - age and tenure alone doesn't open doors or guarantee promotions...

I can't with you... I just can't... It's no wonder people face palm when you call or when they have to see you... Stop derailing the ops post with your petulance, it's a waste of brain cells...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I wanted to add some clarification to some of the points you brought up. My intention was not to be cryptic, but concise to give enough info and not write a book.
I agree with you on the personality point- we don’t click, but he isn’t my boss and has not incentive for me succeeding. It’s a weird situation that if I ended up doing better it could take money away from him in the future. In previous positons I could show my value tangibly with the amount of revenue I generated. This position I cover for him and his revenue grows. I pride myself on being objective and I’m not saying that everything is someone else’s fault.
Is this a "sales" position or "admin" position? If it's sales, I would just stop being the boy wonder's crutch - see how he fares when having to carry his workload himself... Again, I'm not sure the exact specifics of your job function or duties - if it doesn't include bailing him out, then don't...

Ultimately, even if he does decide to do some under the bus throwing - as long as you've done what's required / expected of you, you got nothing to worry about... Unless he's the nephew of the owner or some shit like that... That's an entirely different story at that point...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:55 AM   #10
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry, and your continuous millennial mentality is going to help? LOLOL... Age doesn't equate to being entitled to shit... Whenever you open your mouth, it's groan inducing... Hate to break it to you - age and tenure alone doesn't open doors or guarantee promotions...

I can't with you... I just can't... It's no wonder people face palm when you call or when they have to see you... Stop derailing the ops post with your petulance, it's a waste of brain cells...
I think you actually good points on this thread. I probably shouldn't have commented the way I did. But that doesn't save you from your faults.

I'll own up this time, but the way messaged me a few weeks ago, I'm still bothered by it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #11
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think you actually good points on this thread. I probably shouldn't have commented the way I did. But that doesn't save you from your faults.

I'll own up this time, but the way messaged me a few weeks ago, I'm still bothered by it.
Here's the difference between you and I... You are still bothered by some interaction you and I had a few weeks ago... Meanwhile, you haven't so much as been a fleeting thought for me - zero fucks were given... Not because it's you, it could be anyone in your place, because life's too short to be hung up over something so minuscule... It's alright if someone has a difference of opinion of yours or disagrees with you - not everyone likes pizza and not everyone finds Emily Ratajkowski sexy...

Same can be said about your passive aggressive comments - your quasi apology tied into comments like - "but doesn't save you from your faults" or any other bs comment like that... I'd take a good long hard look in the fucking mirror before you start spouting off about people and their faults... You aren't in any position to be giving a sermon on people's flaws or faults in my opinion...

With that said, I'll accept your semi apology - there's a glimmer of hope that you at least recognize you might've jumped the gun on your comments, so I'll give you that...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #12
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's the difference between you and I... You are still bothered by some interaction you and I had a few weeks ago... Meanwhile, you haven't so much as been a fleeting thought for me - zero fucks were given... Not because it's you, it could be anyone in your place, because life's too short to be hung up over something so minuscule... It's alright if someone has a difference of opinion of yours or disagrees with you - not everyone likes pizza and not everyone finds Emily Ratajkowski sexy...

Same can be said about your passive aggressive comments - your quasi apology tied into comments like - "but doesn't save you from your faults" or any other bs comment like that... I'd take a good long hard look in the fucking mirror before you start spouting off about people and their faults... You aren't in any position to be giving a sermon on people's flaws or faults in my opinion...

With that said, I'll accept your semi apology - there's a glimmer of hope that you at least recognize you might've jumped the gun on your comments, so I'll give you that...
Alright I have some stuff I need to work-out on my end Shoei. Sorry to derail the thread OP. Best of luck to you
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #13
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
OP, pm me for a discussion. I'm in management in your field and may be able to provide useful insights.

Cheers-mk
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5715.50
      12-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #14
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Alright I have some stuff I need to work-out on my end Shoei. Sorry to derail the thread OP. Best of luck to you
Both of you guys look like dicks by derailing the OP's thread and turning it into an argument between the two of you.

I hope both of you have more class than that.

As for the OP:

We need a bit more info on your situation. I'm a bit unclear as to what is preventing you from getting further at your job. You say it is a sales job, but you aren't doing any sales. Why is that? Has management determined that your job title is now something else? Is your co-worker dictating what your role is?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
bromance?
Appreciate 3
Hawkeye2069.50
Zayzel385.00
      12-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
OP, pm me for a discussion. I'm in management in your field and may be able to provide useful insights.

Cheers-mk

This forum is always fun to read because people argue about the silliest things.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

Cheers-mk
For some reason it wont let me pm you. PM me so I can send you one back. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

OP if you're good at sales and can sell yourself, you can make it in any industry out there. Have you considered financial services? territory manager? etc?
Unless you have a opportunity to take your bosses jobs or have growth potential with the company, I would see it as a dead end.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
OP if you're good at sales and can sell yourself, you can make it in any industry out there. Have you considered financial services? territory manager? etc?
I had previously been a territory rep and then a sales manager before my transition into med device. How it works when you start out it’s at the bottom. This includes what is called covering a case. A lot of people don’t realize when they going into surgery there is a rep in the OR who is there to make sure that the hardware is implemented correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
bromance?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I know this thread has been all over the place, but I’m interested if there is anyone else out there with a background in med device?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #22
Memaxndapickel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Appreciate 0