BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Question for you insurance pros

11-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There is every possibility that State Farm just didn't WANT to do that, but I vaguely recall asking my lawyer father and I think he confirmed. I think I ate the $250 on my truck, wasn't worth the hassle.
I can't comment on CA law and in my days as a claims guy I never saw a jurisdiction with that particular dumbass rule. Including deductibles in a subro is no effort and it's one of the few guaranteed thank yous in the adjusting game when you get to send a claimant a cheque for recovered deductibles. Can't imagine why an insurer wouldn't want to bother (it's literally adding one payment line to the release and one line to the subro cover letter).
Typical adjusters haven't yet passed the bar in Cali
      11-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #24
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
Update... the other party's insurance company just accepted liability. That should make things much easier. I'm going to try to bring it to a dealer for an estimate.

It's a 2012 Toyota 4runner. The body shop told my wife that they are not allowed to use OEM parts unless that car is less than a year old.
On a 2012, it's just as likely that a reconditioned used OEM bumper cover is available. You might want to ask the shop if they can go that route.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #25
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
On a 2012, it's just as likely that a reconditioned used OEM bumper cover is available. You might want to ask the shop if they can go that route.
Possibly that or I pay the difference for a new OEM cover. I've personally dealt with aftermarket bumper covers and they leave a lot to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #26
Trusnow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 740li xdrive

Garage List
sounds like u need a new insurance company.
MKSixer34173.50
      11-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #27
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Update... the other party's insurance company just accepted liability. That should make things much easier. I'm going to try to bring it to a dealer for an estimate.

It's a 2012 Toyota 4runner. The body shop told my wife that they are not allowed to use OEM parts unless that car is less than a year old.
That's a good idea. If your local Toyota dealer has a body shop I'd take it there. Toyota isn't going to use non Toyota parts. And if they are decent, maybe they'll even give you list price on the bumper cover(to make it closer to the aftermarket price) to get the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #28
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep

Follow up question:

My car is an SUV and the liable insurance company said they only cover $40/day for rental. Does that mean I can only rent what $40/day can get me? What if we really need an SUV that's more than $40/day?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #29
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Follow up question:

My car is an SUV and the liable insurance company said they only cover $40/day for rental. Does that mean I can only rent what $40/day can get me? What if we really need an SUV that's more than $40/day?
If you were to claim you need an SUV because you have a bad back and cars are more difficult to get into, you might get somewhere.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #30
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
If you were to claim you need an SUV because you have a bad back and cars are more difficult to get into, you might get somewhere.
Wait... I can't tell if this is a serious advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Wait... I can't tell if this is a serious advice.
Insurance companies usually have a standard rate they will give people, in your case it is $40 per day. They will usually tell customers they can upgrade to something else say for $60 per day, but they will only cover $40. If you mention to a manager you need an SUV (say for back reasons), they might be willing to cover one for say $50 a day after some negotiation. It isn't standard policy, but I saw it done multiple times.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Insurance companies usually have a standard rate they will give people, in your case it is $40 per day. They will usually tell customers they can upgrade to something else say for $60 per day, but they will only cover $40. If you mention to a manager you need an SUV (say for back reasons), they might be willing to cover one for say $50 a day after some negotiation. It isn't standard policy, but I saw it done multiple times.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

This is interesting. Because when my wife got rear ended, the liable's insurance (Liberty Mutual) never slapped a stipulation on what rental car she could get. They got her into the exact same car she has which was an SUV. I would argue with the liable party's insurance to get them to cover paying for a rental which matches what you have. It's not like you're looking to get a car which is upgraded from what you have now.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:09 PM   #34
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This is interesting. Because when my wife got rear ended, the liable's insurance (Liberty Mutual) never slapped a stipulation on what rental car she could get. They got her into the exact same car she has which was an SUV. I would argue with the liable party's insurance to get them to cover paying for a rental which matches what you have. It's not like you're looking to get a car which is upgraded from what you have now.
The confirmation states $40/day but when I talked to Enterprise, they told me AAA approved an SUV. So they probably have some special rate arrangement between them.
Appreciate 0