BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Moving to the US

08-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #67
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side.....yeah I guess this is 100% true. I don't know the details about taxes etc in EU....
Think it's better you don't know about our EU insane taxes ..

I just paid 2,023 Euros *yearly driver taxes* in Belgium !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #68
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post

Mine was maybe $300 bucks here, but roads are shit (paid another $1000 to fix my wheels and tires), education after school cost ton of money, and I don't even have medical insurance. I think in many EU country all this stuff is free, no?

I'd love to move to France or Italy.....
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #69
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Mine was maybe $300 bucks here, but roads are shit (paid another $1000 to fix my wheels and tires), education after school cost ton of money, and I don't even have medical insurance. I think in many EU country all this stuff is free, no?

I'm sorry man , here is nothing for free..
Our roads are shitty too after the winter with all the road salt it's full with holes.
Education after normal school cost a ton as well , my neighbour son went to the university for his bio doctorate he said the cost was 60K over the years...
We have a medical insurance but we need to pay for it every single month , and they don't cover everything .

Advice : Stay in the US , everything is cheaper in the US .
When I see the prices in the US , I think...*God bless America* !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 08-13-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #70
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I "moved" to the US a few times as a UK national, it really is very very hard to get a green card as a European, so I assume you have an O1 visa or fiancee lined up - good luck converting an h1b without a lot of patience

Luckily for me I eventually qualified for the O1 so a EB1 conversion was pretty straight forward, but even that's much harder now.

I would never dream of moving back, I make far more money, pay very little tax and everything important is much cheaper here.

Butthurt Americans talking about leaving here because their political sports team lost really are massively spolied children with no idea how the world works, but if the part time Starbucks baristas could be swapped for Indian, asian or european high skill workers that would be great!
Appreciate 3
Hawkeye2069.50
P111541.50
      08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #71
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

My medical insurance is about €1300/yr. And it doesn't cover nearly everything. And you still have to pay small amounts for things that are "covered". Free doesn't exist :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
I "moved" to the US a few times as a UK national, it really is very very hard to get a green card as a European, so I assume you have an O1 visa or fiancee lined up - good luck converting an h1b without a lot of patience

Luckily for me I eventually qualified for the O1 so a EB1 conversion was pretty straight forward, but even that's much harder now.

I would never dream of moving back, I make far more money, pay very little tax and everything important is much cheaper here.

Butthurt Americans talking about leaving here because their political sports team lost really are massively spolied children but if the part time Starbucks baristas could be swapped for Indian, asian or european high skillworkers that would be great!
Yeah, I've heard stories about getting a green card. A process that can easily take years from what I understand. The company I work for is getting me to move to the US on the basis of an L1 visa. They have a blanket petition, so they're familiar with the process.

That was one of the advantages of moving to the US. My US salary after taxes is significantly more pleasant to look at than my Euro salary. Not too mention BMW's are much cheaper in the states

Happy to hear the move to the US worked out for you.

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me is that all my family and friends will still be in the Netherlands and Belgium. That's going to be a bitch to cope with, I guess.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #72
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Lol maybe it's only some countries. I am pretty sure I saw some documentaries on Scandinavia and they said everything is free there....

Or maybe I should move to Russia then education and medical insurance are free there, no road tax, no real estate tax, and most don't even pay income taxes

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 08-13-2017 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #73
vroooom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
My medical insurance is about €1300/yr. And it doesn't cover nearly everything. And you still have to pay small amounts for things that are "covered". Free doesn't exist :P

Yeah, I've heard stories about getting a green card. A process that can easily take years from what I understand. The company I work for is getting me to move to the US on the basis of an L1 visa. They have a blanket petition, so they're familiar with the process.

That was one of the advantages of moving to the US. My US salary after taxes is significantly more pleasant to look at than my Euro salary. Not too mention BMW's are much cheaper in the states

Happy to hear the move to the US worked out for you.

Honestly, the only thing that bothers me is that all my family and friends will still be in the Netherlands and Belgium. That's going to be a bitch to cope with, I guess.

Make sure you have the appropriate visa before your arrival. Ifs it's an l1 with blanket petition make sure you have your i129 in hand for the immigration officer.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #74
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Wow, thats a sum. We here into Germany only have to pay our vehicle tax which is linked to the cylinder capacity and the co2 emissions. For me its round about 356,- Euro p.a. Thats quite cheap and additionally we have no speed limits onto our highways. Tollage is maybe coming up after the election period this hall, we will see.

Actually Phil, me and Mrs are spending the weekend 29.9. - 01.10. into Brussels. Dont show your muscles, but yourself and Britta?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #75
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Wow, thats a sum. We here into Germany only have to pay our vehicle tax which is linked to the cylinder capacity and the co2 emissions. For me its round about 356,- Euro p.a. Thats quite cheap and additionally we have no speed limits onto our highways. Tollage is maybe coming up after the election period this hall, we will see.

Actually Phil, me and Mrs are spending the weekend 29.9. - 01.10. into Brussels. Dont show your muscles, but yourself and Britta?
356 Euros ? Wow that's really cheap ! That's the yearly driver tax from my Mini diesel in Belgium .

Not sure about 29.9 because very often I also need to work in the weekends , it always depends of the work situations . But lately it's kinda complete chaos with the expansion of the company and the construction works .
If I can (never sure) I'll let you know

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 08-14-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #76
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:

that x 15 years: will cover the difference in tax for a new MY18 Manual M2 with the same specs overher compared to BE. Don't start any tax BS when you're from Belgium
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #77
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Is that an open invite? I might be able to make that.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #78
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post

that x 15 years: will cover the difference in tax for a new MY18 Manual M2 with the same specs overher compared to BE. Don't start any tax BS when you're from Belgium
I'm pretty sure you forgot something...
The registration tax from 10K !

*God bless America*

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #79
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

Again, move out of a poorly run city and you will not have many of the woes you just toss around for all of America. The roads in Boston are horrible, everything is ridiculously expensive... really doesn't have anything going for it aside from cultural diversity, good oysters and great views. I'll be back in Boston mid October and experience just about everything I care to.

Roads here are constantly being improved and generally pretty good, taxes are low compared to other places, cost of living is low and pay is pretty substantial. No complaints. Also the local food is amazing and so is the countryside if you're into fresh air and green landscapes.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #80
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Is that an open invite? I might be able to make that.
Less an invite but the opportunity to meet each other personal. Are you from Brussels too?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #81
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Again, move out of a poorly run city and you will not have many of the woes you just toss around for all of America. The roads in Boston are horrible, everything is ridiculously expensive... really doesn't have anything going for it aside from cultural diversity, good oysters and great views. I'll be back in Boston mid October and experience just about everything I care to.

Roads here are constantly being improved and generally pretty good, taxes are low compared to other places, cost of living is low and pay is pretty substantial. No complaints. Also the local food is amazing and so is the countryside if you're into fresh air and green landscapes.
Wife has a decent job 15 min from home, and she wont agree to move to countryside anyway. I am about 30 min from downtown
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #82
1mmaniac
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Less an invite but the opportunity to meet each other personal. Are you from Brussels too?
I meant 'invite to meet up' No, i'm not from around but might be able to make that but it depends on work. Not many enthusiast around my area so i'm willing to drive some miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:21 AM   #83
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Got it, but we should create an own thread for this or shift our talking about a meeting into the "chitchat-thread".
This is now totally OT to OP.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 01:36 AM   #84
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Hey all,

Tiny update. I've now been living in the US for about 3 months. Lancaster is not a very exciting place as most of you already pointed out, but I do kind of like the peace and quiet around here I miss my Bimmer though...

One thing I really dislike though is your completely retarded credit system :P I don't want a %^&^#$#! credit card, my debit card will do just fine, silly Americans :P

Not sure yet whether or not I'll actually stay here permanently or not.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #85
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Hey all,

Tiny update. I've now been living in the US for about 3 months. Lancaster is not a very exciting place as most of you already pointed out, but I do kind of like the peace and quiet around here I miss my Bimmer though...

One thing I really dislike though is your completely retarded credit system :P I don't want a %^&^#$#! credit card, my debit card will do just fine, silly Americans :P

What do you dislike about it? If you are happy with your debit card, why are you worried about building your credit, especially when you're not sure if you'll stay here? Mine was wiped clean when I got my green card...
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #86
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey all,

As long as you live within your means and pay the cc off every month, you can get some benefits like cash back or travel points, etc.

CC are also better than debit in case you ever get disputed charges. Debit comes straight outta your wallet.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #87
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
What do you dislike about it? If you are happy with your debit card, why are you worried about building your credit, especially when you're not sure if you'll stay here? Mine was wiped clean when I got my green card...
It's probably because I'm not really used to it and it has been annoying to work with in the few months that I've been here. It's really frustrating that you are being treated as untrustworthy from the get go.

Need utilities? Oh we'll need a deposit from you sir, because your social security number is telling us not to trust you. Want cable? Gotta pay a deposit. Want to cash this check sir? Sorry, third party company says you're not to be trusted because we don't know you.

Especially the last one was pretty annoying because for a while I got paid in checks. Closest issuing bank was over 300 miles away and I did not have a bank account. Kind of annoying when you want to pay for stuff...

So while I'm not really worried about building a credit score per se, even when not wanting to use a credit card it was smacked in my face a few times.

Stop being paranoid! I wish only "negative" credit score was kept, that way you're not punished for not being "part of the system".

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
As long as you live within your means and pay the cc off every month, you can get some benefits like cash back or travel points, etc.

CC are also better than debit in case you ever get disputed charges. Debit comes straight outta your wallet.
Living with in my means is not the problem. Noone has a credit card back home, everybody pays for stuff using a debit card. Can't spend money that you don't have. Honestly, that would probably be a good thing for some Americans. While the vast majority is responsible, there are also a lot of people who allow themselves to get f'ed over by the system. A lot harder to buy shit if you don't have credit.

I can see your point with regards to disputed charges, but honestly, I've never had to dispute a charge. I will however say that I'm real picky with what I buy and who/where I buy it from.

I also like CCs as business expenditure cards, but for all my personal stuff, I'll just stick to debit

Sorry if this post seems overly negative. I really do like it here. I'm seeing more fun cars here than back home, the food is better and so far it's been a pretty good experience.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #88
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Million times no, European produce is far better as it is mor elocal. All mega farmed here.
Agreed 100% I go to Europe many times since I am from there. And the food products is 100% better.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0