BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Need Career Help

12-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #23
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I know this thread has been all over the place, but I’m interested if there is anyone else out there with a background in med device?
Figured I would ask one more time?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Figured I would ask one more time?
1. Reach out to MKsixer if you haven’t done so.

2. My philosophy is that if you dread waking up in the morning to go into work, then you shouldn’t be at that job. I’ve moved on from 2 jobs where that was the case and it worked out well for me. You have to believe that you will find something better before it can happen.

3. Look on LinkedIn for people in your field and do informational interviews. Heck, start with people at your work but maybe in different departments.

4. Do you like sales in general or do you specifically like medical sales? And why? The answer to that might open up more doors. Maybe you could consider moving to a city or state where that field is growing.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #25
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post

2. My philosophy is that if you dread waking up in the morning to go into work, then you shouldn’t be at that job. I’ve moved on from 2 jobs where that was the case and it worked out well for me. You have to believe that you will find something better before it can happen.

3. Look on LinkedIn for people in your field and do informational interviews. Heck, start with people at your work but maybe in different departments.

4. Do you like sales in general or do you specifically like medical sales? And why? The answer to that might open up more doors. Maybe you could consider moving to a city or state where that field is growing.
Yeah, I have reached out to him and he’s been great. I do want to stay in medical, but I’m always open possibilities. I really enjoy sales and have had a lot of past success. I love the aspect of being able to be in charge of how much you make. I’m open to move to wherever, but it’s a challenge because its need based not a single location that it on the rise. I appreciate the response and will work on reaching out to those individuals.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I have reached out to him and he’s been great. I do want to stay in medical, but I’m always open possibilities. I really enjoy sales and have had a lot of past success. I love the aspect of being able to be in charge of how much you make. I’m open to move to wherever, but it’s a challenge because its need based not a single location that it on the rise. I appreciate the response and will work on reaching out to those individuals.
Maybe MKSixer can hook you up with a job?

Also, if you have had a lot of success in the past, maybe think about what worked then and what’s different now. If it works, then follow that same formula.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

You can pm me as well. I'm in R&D management at a HUGE med device firm and have attended lots of cases myself so I have an understanding of the sales side.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #28
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
You can pm me as well. I'm in R&D management at a HUGE med device firm and have attended lots of cases myself so I have an understanding of the sales side.
pm sent, thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      12-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #29
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for everyone posting, I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #30
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

sounds like you have to stop bouncing around stick with one job you think you can be good at it.
sometimes you have to stay on the porch for while before running with big dogs.
      12-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #31
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
This is huge. You will spend many of your waking hours at your job. You don't have to love it, but if it is something you despise you are in for a world of hurt. I've had family friends who worked for 30 years at a job they couldn't stand, only to die a year or two after they retired. That isn't a life you want to live.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #32
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I'm not in the sales field, but I am in the field of medicine. Do you have anyone that you can seriously talk to about your current situation that is in the same field or something similar? I would think it would be beneficial to get another perspective on your current situation especially if they were familiar with medical device sales. It's always good to have a second set of eyes or opinion on things because they may see the situation differently or they could have the same concerns as you thus ultimately giving you more reason to either walk away from this particular job or switch careers entirely.

Networking with other people in your field could be a great way of finding out if what you're currently doing is normal and part of the job (and once you put in the time, you will be rewarded type thing) or if you really are getting screwed and only doing the cases that the other guy doesn't want to do. People within your field that you talk to could know of jobs that are closer to what you had possibly envisioned as a medical device representive. Knowing people and building working relationships is imperative. I don't think that can be overstated. Finding someone that you can talk to and bounce ideas off from your current situation to maybe a new medical device sales firm looking to hire, etc. would be ideal to help you in this predicament that you're in.

Lastly, medical sales as a whole can be a good career. If you are a good salesperson and don't mind being in an operating room with tubes hooked up to patients, blood, and seeing scalpels cut through skin then you can be very successful at medical devices sales specifically. With that said, if medical device sales isn't what you envisioned or want to do anymore, but still want to stay in medical sales then you can look into even more specific medical sales like orthopedic medical sales, etc. Pharmaceutical sales is also an alternative that you can think about. There are quite a bit of medical sales jobs that are similar in terms of involving in and around the medical field, but different enough that you may like one and not the other.

Keep your eyes open, network with others in your field, and follow what you enjoy doing, and you'll be successful.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:50 AM   #33
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Unsure your level of education but at 31 it's still not too late (if you have a college degree) to get an MD or DO.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post

Lastly, medical sales as a whole can be a good career. If you are a good salesperson and don't mind being in an operating room with tubes hooked up to patients, blood, and seeing scalpels cut through skin then you can be very successful at medical devices sales specifically. With that said, if medical device sales isn't what you envisioned or want to do anymore, but still want to stay in medical sales then you can look into even more specific medical sales like orthopedic medical sales, etc. Pharmaceutical sales is also an alternative that you can think about. There are quite a bit of medical sales jobs that are similar in terms of involving in and around the medical field, but different enough that you may like one and not the other.

Keep your eyes open, network with others in your field, and follow what you enjoy doing, and you'll be successful.
I am in the OR for every case. None of that bothers me. I appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #35
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Unsure your level of education but at 31 it's still not too late (if you have a college degree) to get an MD or DO.
I have my B.S. but I really have no interest in going to medical school. I really enjoy sales.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #36
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, I would be interested in other sales sectors people think would be worth transitioning into?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #37
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
I have my B.S. but I really have no interest in going to medical school. I really enjoy sales.
One more vote for you to change fields into s/t more suited to your interests - if you are really JUST into the sales end of it, you probably don't belong in an OR, even under these circumstances. Perhaps you should be looking for the working/advancement conditions you want, rather than limiting it to just one kind of sales. the salesmen I've known well have left me with the impression that selling is selling, no matter what the product (I know there is more to it, but the core sales skills seem fairly generalizeable).
Appreciate 0