BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Opinions on ProNav vs Business Nav?

02-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Tamasine
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Opinions on ProNav vs Business Nav?

Sat nav is definitely something I'd like but I was wondering just how much better or desirable the ProNav is compared with the Business Nav?

Apart from the size of the display, what would I be gaining with the ProNav, and would the 'basic' Business Nav be ok, or is the ProNav just so much better it is clearly worth having?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
We have gone all round Europe on Business Nav. But you MUST get the Black Panel display.

While pro nav does more, it double the price and still doesn't include speed warnings, camera data or internet. I reckon the hardware costs £50 extra max so it really is a rip off.

But some must have all the best toys.

Also, business (presuming pre LCI) retains a much higher percentage GFV.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

Agreed with the above statement, unless you have money to burn, the pro nav doesn't really have any worth while benefit other than being a larger display over the business nav. As long as you get the black panel display added to the business nav, you will be happy you saved your money.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
dizx
Second Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

The pro nav (NBT) adds so much functionality, and can't be even be compared. Like BMW Apps, Spotify and so on. You can watch videos straight from a USB stick. Now with NBT Evo, you can have internet and wifi zone within the car.
      02-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I often want to watch videos and browse the net while driving.
Oh hang on...
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #6
Tamasine
Rep

Ok so I should be fine with the business nav - I don't need the nav for anything other than navigation but I am surprised that speed cameras are not a function on these.

I'm afraid I don't know and haven't seen what a black panel display is. As I'll be buying used I don't know what the chances of getting this or what benefit it would give me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
Agreed with the above statement, unless you have money to burn, the pro nav doesn't really have any worth while benefit other than being a larger display over the business nav. As long as you get the black panel display added to the business nav, you will be happy you saved your money.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The black panel is just a larger display in the instrument panel. If you have navigation, it is used to show turn by turn instructions. It can also tell you hints about how to use your throttle pedal in Eco Pro and things like that. Most cars with navigation should have it, and otherwise not. Not an expensive option.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 05:59 AM   #8
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamasine View Post
Ok so I should be fine with the business nav - I don't need the nav for anything other than navigation but I am surprised that speed cameras are not a function on these.
If you want all the functions, 3D maps (the Professional features, the Business lacks) and everything possible you should consider a standalone device (either dedicated or just a smartphone). By the way, BMW offers an accessory navigation device and a holder suitable for it and some smartphones as well.

You might also be interested in the maps/software update price: Nav system update (what a rip off), Professional Nav Map Update.

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know and haven't seen what a black panel display is. As I'll be buying used I don't know what the chances of getting this or what benefit it would give me?
Don't be too shy to see the configurator at http://www.bmw.co.uk: it's pretty much all the same still. The black panel is a verbose version of the standard one, explaining to those who fail to get it in brief. For example, when the navigation says "Turn right!" it should show an arrow to inform you where the right side is. This option appears hugely popular in UK for whatever reason (it had lots of support in other threads here, I recall) so it should be easy to find in a used car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
Tamasine
Rep

Thanks Ovekvam and No one.

I'm currently using a Tom Tom nav on my iPhone which is very good and includes speed camera warnings and live traffic information plus suggested alternate routes. However, I would like built in sat nav so I don't have to take the phone out of its case, place it in the Brodit holder, enable location services, etc. If I'm buying a newish car for a lot of money (for me) then I would like sat nav to be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
If you want all the functions, 3D maps (the Professional features, the Business lacks) and everything possible you should consider a standalone device (either dedicated or just a smartphone). By the way, BMW offers an accessory navigation device and a holder suitable for it and some smartphones as well.
Is this just the Pronav or both? I'm not too concerned with regular updates but would be ticked off if I were expected to pay this much money each time there was an update.

Quote:
You might also be interested in the maps/software update price: Nav system update (what a rip off), Professional Nav Map Update.

Thanks - looks good but from what I can tell it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if the car didn't have it

Quote:
Don't be too shy to see the configurator at http://www.bmw.co.uk: it's pretty much all the same still. The black panel is a verbose version of the standard one, explaining to those who fail to get it in brief. For example, when the navigation says "Turn right!" it should show an arrow to inform you where the right side is. This option appears hugely popular in UK for whatever reason (it had lots of support in other threads here, I recall) so it should be easy to find in a used car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
However, I would like built in sat nav so I don't have to take the phone out of its case, place it in the Brodit holder, enable location services, etc. If I'm buying a newish car for a lot of money (for me) then I would like sat nav to be included.
Oh yes, usage convenience looks unbeatable! The only benefit in fact. I hate to hang my phone too.

Quote:
Is this just the Pronav or both? I'm not too concerned with regular updates but would be ticked off if I were expected to pay this much money each time there was an update.
The ProNav should be more expensive, but the Business should cost too, of course. I would suggest you query the current pricing at a dealer and pay attention to the version of the maps your car of choice has installed: some just never update.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Oh yes, usage convenience looks unbeatable! The only benefit in fact. I hate to hang my phone too.
I prefer the Tomtom. Free lifetime maps, low cost, easy to carry on to random rental cars, and easy to replace when the technology is outdated every 4 years or so. And it remembers my favourite destinations if I replace the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #12
Tamasine
Rep

The inconvenience comes from the time it takes to enable location services, activate the Tom Tom app, and connect the charger (plus the wires involved!).

The upside is that the Tom Tom app is really good - accurate, excellent voice commands, real-time traffic updates (it switches to the local radio traffic station), and speed camera warnings.

I don't know if it's worse/as good/better than an OEM satnav like in the BMW though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
Tamasine
Rep

I called them and they said it's about £200-£300 for an update but that most people don't bother updating!

Quote:

The ProNav should be more expensive, but the Business should cost too, of course. I would suggest you query the current pricing at a dealer and pay attention to the version of the maps your car of choice has installed: some just never update.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #14
jabugui
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: f21 lci 120iA

I keep the same old tomtom with my old settings and favourites from car to car. Prefer to put my money on some performance or safety options for driving rather than car entertainment
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I called them and they said it's about £200-£300 for an update
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention you should exclude their update job price, of course! It's the carrier (CD in the Business case, AFAIK, while the Professional can be on USB which takes far less time to install: 45 minutes against 3 hours?) and the activation code, which, I believe, should be at no added cost but technically it's to be retrieved with the VIN by the dealer's employee. It's a complete DIY: insert the carrier, activate the procedure with iDrive and input the code. It's re-enterable: you don't have to have the car running those 3 hours at once, when you restart it should resume. AFAIK, WFIW: never did it myself, only wondered. On the other hand, if they do it, you should not buy the carrier, I believe...

Quote:
most people don't bother updating!
I wonder why! There are online options much cheaper mentioned in those threads I suggested to reference, but it's theft actually...

Last edited by No one; 02-15-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
Tamasine
Rep

More new info! Shows how little I know about technical BMW stuff!

I'm assuming though that it's not necessary to update all the time - the nav won't break down or get sluggish if it doesn't get an update?

Quote:
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention you should exclude their update job price, of course! It's the carrier (CD in the Business case, AFAIK, while the Professional can be on USB which takes far less time to install: 45 minutes against 3 hours?) and the activation code, which, I believe, should be at no added cost but technically it's to be retrieved with the VIN by the dealer's employee. It's a complete DIY: insert the carrier, activate the procedure with iDrive and input the code. It's re-enterable: you don't have to have the car running those 3 hours at once, when you restart it should resume. AFAIK, WFIW: never did it myself, only wondered. On the other hand, if they do it, you should not buy the carrier, I believe...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #17
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The inconvenience comes from the time it takes to enable location services, activate the Tom Tom app, and connect the charger (plus the wires involved!).
I can't leave the holder on either: it can attract "smart" thiefs to search the car for the device. But when it's safe (a garage or whatever) you can have a dedicated device installed just once. And use it.

Quote:
The upside is that the Tom Tom app is really good - accurate, excellent voice commands, real-time traffic updates (it switches to the local radio traffic station), and speed camera warnings.

I don't know if it's worse/as good/better than an OEM satnav like in the BMW though.
Reportedly TomTom is better. And even if it's not, you can easily replace it with the BMW accessory (not to mention other options) one. But you can't take the approach with the built-in: you take it "for better or for worse". And when your hardware becomes outdated and they stop supporting it...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming though that it's not necessary to update all the time - the nav won't break down or get sluggish if it doesn't get an update?
Of course it's not necessary from the technical standpoint! It just might come outdated: you depend on the road building and traffic changing activity where you drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
frazzle
Private
Rep

I love the pro nav, simply for the gadgetry and the quality of screen. Being able to store 20gb of music on the system, connect the phone, split the screen, use BMW remote etc, use BMW widgets, and also have the voice recognition and fab BMW 3d nav, all makes it worthwhile to me.

A family car that fits in the garage, has blistering pace, sounds meaty, reasonable running costs and loads of tech. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have the top end Garmin Nuvi portable for my Subaru; it knocks spots off any factory nav and has free updates (via a computer) for life. £299.
Makes any factory nav including pro nav look silly but I do find business nav perfectly sufficient.
Appreciate 0