BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Low Coolant Warning

05-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Low Coolant Warning

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My car is a 2012 118i M Sport (manual) with about 32000 miles on now. I've had it from new.

Yesterday morning the low coolant warning came on yesterday morning. I checked the level it and it was just below the minimum. So I popped to the dealer to get them to check it out and top it up. Apparently there was no sign of any leaks and they said it was 'normal' for this engine.

In the 18 years and about 12 new BMW's I have never once, had to top any of them up with coolant & I've done a lot of miles in the majority of them. Even my old 135 & M3 that used to see some regular track days never used a drop!

I do about 80 miles a day which is mainly all motorway and the car is never in standing traffic for long so it doesn't really get a chance to get really really hot.

I was wondering if anyone else's car with this engine has had to be topped up with coolant?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
PS2K
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M135i

I got this warning last week and popped the bonnet to check the reservoir. It appeared full so I took it to the dealer the same day and they indicated that it may have flashed up due to a sensor issue. In the end it was a false positive that is hopefully resolved with a software update after the first service.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Audi TT

Had this with my daughter's TT. Park it on an incline and it would sense low coolant. Needed topping once in 2 years and had no leak. Overly sensitive sensor
Appreciate 0