BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Unsatisfactory BMW service experience.

04-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

the things we sacrifice to "drive the ultimate driving machine"...

04-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #24
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

the things we sacrifice to "drive the ultimate driving machine"...

04-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #25
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
My unsatisfactory experience (today) at Passport BMW

I want to make the disclaimer that my only prior experience with "premium" vehicles was with Audi. I had a 2010 S4 which was primarily serviced at Audi Silver Spring. All of my comparisons are from my experience there.

I made my appointment 1month ago (for today) for my 1200 mile break-in service. Booking process at the time was smooth, I got the time I wanted due to the in-advance notice.

I show up today at my appointed time, 7:30. My SA was cordial, however, lacking the collegial, friendly demeanor with my Audi SA. At no point during the booking process did he ask if I had any questions about the service being performed today or give me an estimate time of completion.

He tells me to proceed to the Loaner car desk. The lady there basically ignored me. Her co-worker sitting next to her realized this, and asked if he could help me. And to my dismay, he stated that there were no loaners available. He sent me back over to my SA to get a slip for Enterprise.

Luckily the Enterprise desk is onsite, but I had to provide a $100 security hold and received a rather dingy/smelly nissan sentra.

I was in a rush to get to my doctors appointment, so I got on my way.

My feedback:
I made the assumption, because I received a loaner every time with Audi unspoken, that I would receive a BMW loaner also. Especially, with a 1month notice of appointment.

The Audi service was well orchestrated, I was greeted warmly and promptly at my car. I was in and out after dropoff within 10 minutes. I received an Audi S4 loaner for the day. I was the 3rd owner of that S4, one that I bought privately. And Audi of SS made me feel like I bought a 2015 off their showroom yesterday.

1st world problems, I know....and this post could be interpreted as self-serving or entitled. But I felt that my service experience was so far off the mark that I had to put it on paper. If my experiences with Audi was a 9 out of 10. This experience was a 3 or 4.

Apologies for the rant.
Funny, the opposite happened to me. I bought a new Audi Q5 and when I dropped it off for service they ran out of loaners. They had an Enterprise counter and I was given a dingy Jeep Patriot or Compass for the day. Any mainstream dealer can run out of loaners on any given day, it just depends on your luck. Well, except for Lexus. They'll make it right by giving you an extended test drive with one of their cars in inventory.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:20 PM   #26
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

OP - At least the dealer didn't use your car as a courtesy shuttle like they did for a fellow M5 member

In all seriousness I'm always leery leaving my M5 at the dealer. I have heard so many horror stories that is all I think of. And we all know no one cares about anyone's car like the owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #27
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
the 1200 mile break-in service, just as a reminder, isn't "just" an oil change.

as per service manual:
-engine oil flush and exchange
-differential oil flush and exchange
-engine oil filter replacement
-oil pan and differential screw and gasket replacement
-enable launch control
-general mechanical inspection

probably 1-2hrs of labor. and I don't make the assumption that my car will go up on the lift shortly after dropoff.

Although I do occasionally ask for a loaner, I did make the assumption (perhaps erroneously in this instance) that this service is long enough to warrant one. I will make sure I ask for one every time if I don't care to wait.

However, the other aspects of service during my experience were also less than satisfactory.
Yeah you typically have to ask for one. I use Silver Spring BMW but whenever I call to make an appointment they've always asked ahead of time if I'd like a loaner. They've always had one, I've gotten an X3, an X5, 328i, and a 328d station wagon. Luckily I've gotten nothing but great service whenever I do go in.

Yeah...I've been to the service area at Silver Spring BMW a lot....soon enough I'll know everyone on a first name basis and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #28
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I love how everyone tosses the M3 out as an "80k car". Also a guy with a 1 series bashing an X1?? Seems ironic.

But on topic. Find a better dealer. My dealer makes me feel special and gives me a reach around on the way out. I always get the same tech and SA is awesome. I had the exact opposite experiences when I used to take my A4 into Audi. So its just a dealer thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #29
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I love how everyone tosses the M3 out as an "80k car". Also a guy with a 1 series bashing an X1?? Seems ironic.
slam the 1er but I would lay good odds at collector auctions in 2045 low mile e82/e88 will have an audience. X1's however

Quote:
But on topic. Find a better dealer. My dealer makes me feel special and gives me a reach around on the way out. I always get the same tech and SA is awesome.
U want Happy ending with service
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #30
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
slam the 1er but I would lay good odds at collector auctions in 2045 low mile e82/e88 will have an audience. X1's however

I mean maybe if its a 1M.

Also I wasnt slamming a 1er i was more laughing they think its much better than an X1.

Last edited by dmk08; 05-06-2015 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post

If a 128i ever becomes a collector's item...ever, I'll drink my own piss.

A 1M I could understand though.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
If a 128i ever becomes a collector's item...ever, I'll drink my own piss.

A 1M I could understand though.

the 128 and 135 are definitely going to have a cult following for years to come....whether they are 'collector cars' is a different story----but like the 2002 and the E30....their prices will stabilize and enthusiasts will definitely be searching for them in the future. they tick plenty of good boxes: Coupe-only, small, fun, and unique. Most of all they provide a connected driving experience, unlike most 'modern' BMWs.'
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #33
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I mean maybe if its a 1M.

Also I wasnt slamming a 1er i was more laughing they think its much better than an X1.
i really like the X1....it's my favourite 'loaner' car everytime i drop my car off for service....much better than the horribly soft and disconnected 2-series and 3-series, surprisingly.. But the 128 and 135 are a waaaaay more enjoyable driving experience. No comparison really.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #34
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the 128 and 135 are definitely going to have a cult following for years to come....whether they are 'collector cars' is a different story----but like the 2002 and the E30....their prices will stabilize and enthusiasts will definitely be searching for them in the future. they tick plenty of good boxes: Coupe-only, small, fun, and unique. Most of all they provide a connected driving experience, unlike most 'modern' BMWs.'
Cult following sure, but yeah I don't think they'll collectors items later on.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #35
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i really like the X1....it's my favourite 'loaner' car everytime i drop my car off for service....much better than the horribly soft and disconnected 2-series and 3-series, surprisingly.. But the 128 and 135 are a waaaaay more enjoyable driving experience. No comparison really.
Thats why I got an F80 for the weekends
Appreciate 1