BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Paint misMatch inside tailgate

01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Paint misMatch inside tailgate

Was clearing out the boot today, and don't know why I have not noticed before, but the inside of the hatch area in not the same as the exterior paint, like a non metallic finish, def not the same as the exterior which is Estoril Blue.

Also under the bonnet is the same, is this correct or a fault.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Pictures?
Will get some pics tomorrow as the light was fading, it's like the inside is Blue but rough and non metallic. cant understand why they would not finish it the same as the outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
pron
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
Was clearing out the boot today, and don't know why I have not noticed before, but the inside of the hatch area in not the same as the exterior paint, like a non metallic finish, def not the same as the exterior which is Estoril Blue.

This is normal.
They actually use a solid basecoat with no clear in the engine bay, boot and similar places. Coloured primer as it is also known I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post

It's normal, these sections are painted only with primer or basecoat to save material/money.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honziss View Post
It's normal, these sections are painted only with primer or basecoat to save material/money.
Thanks for confirming, this really lets a brand like BMW down, yeah you cant see it from the outside but for the cost of the car these type of cut backs in my eyes think is the brand any better then it's rivals. My last car a Vaux Astra sport hatch, 3 years of trouble free driving which I covered 126k. They was no primer in the bonnet or hatch area was the same as the exterior. Quality and drive I really find it hard to say the BM is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Dreamweaver
The only difference is that the exterior paint has the clear coat on it.

The quality of the paint and how it is applied by BMW is at a premium level to the paint processes used on a ASTRA by OPAL. A shinny paint job means nothing.

It is not BMW saving money on a paint job.
Like all BMWs now built in Germany, the entire body of the 1er is submurged and rotated through several tanks using electrolysis and chemical reactions
This process neutralises, seals, protects and primes all the surfaces including the inner frame and cavities before it is painted, so there is no reason to clear coat those internal panels as they are not constantly effected by sunlight and the enviroment. Yes it probably saves a few euros in coatings and time, however I am sure that the process of the dipping is far more costly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The interior and exterior painting are usually done by different robots with different process equipment. Due to limited working room and proximity to other metal surfaces inside a car, it is not possible to run with the same high voltage charging as you can when painting exterior panels.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

There's a difference between cutting back and doing unnecessary work. Different surfaces on different areas go through different processes so they can perform different jobs, there's nothing shocking about that. If anything, I'd imagine painting everything the same would be easier than putting two different treatments on different surfaces - you don't use the same paint on your front door as you put in the hallway do you.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

i think a shiny paint job on the underside of the luggage compartment lining would look a bit weird? imagine waxing it...
Appreciate 0