BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 - Dashboard air bubbles

04-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Michael_S91
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i M Sport

BMW F20 - Dashboard air bubbles

Hi, my name is Michael, it is my first post about big problem what I have in my car.

I am a owner of BMW F20,118i ,1.5 Petrol, M Sport package. On my dashboard showed up an air bubbles (small one and bigger one) different places and stain on passanger side (air bag) :
-left passanger side (big stain) from left corner to the Central Information Display and the place where passanger air bag is
- left passanger side above passanger air bag
- behind the Central Information Display
- behind Instrument Cluster, Speedometer near windscreen

I had an appointment in BMW Service to service an Air Conditioning. I have a conversation with one of Service Advisor about checked my terrible dash to find what happened and what caused that big damage so I spend for that "check" an extra 100£. I told to Service Advisor about fogged up front window inside on dry and warm days and rainy days is that same.
So I left my car in service for abut 6-7 hours. When I came back on this same day to collect my car they don't found any leak. So I ask Service Advisor why my dash looks like from 20 years old car if my car is 2 years old is brand new!!!!? He just told me I must replace dash for new one and this can not be on warranty because they could don't find the problem !!! I have a quote of new dash of 2445£ inc. For me 6-7 hours is not enough to check everything under dash and it is impossible because they must take off trims panels etc. I would like to resolve this problem by I don't know how to do that. My car is still under warranty but they told me they can not do that on warranty because they couldn't find the problem.

What I have been checked:
1. Temperature of my coolant and oil (hidden menu):
After 40 min. drive:
- coolant temperature: +112
- oil temperature: +110
- o temp. raw data: +11.8

Seems looks ok ? So engine is not overheated

2. I have been checked coolant if is not leaking from the tank. It is same level of liquid.

3. I have been checked windshield: driver, passanger side and front, Numbers:

Right - Driver Side and Left Passanger but with info. about transparent etc. :
FUYAO
E1(in circle) 43R-001735
DOT782M540AS2
CCC(in circle)
E000137

Front windshield (on the picture below):

I don't know if the front windshield was replaced ? If it was the water came under the gasket and then with hot air form engine is cumulated under the dash (condensation) and that is why I have air bubbles ?

4. I have been checked the place where pollen/cabin filter is.
I took off the plastic cover under the glove box and on that cover is reduce sound material at it wasn't dry when I touched it seemed to be wet or cold. On that plastic cover I have seen a white sediment looks like dirt. BMW done air con. service so this same stain was on rubber floor mat.

5. I have been checked places under floor mats but is not wet and I couldn't find any leak.

So it is everything what I could check. Please see attached pictures below.Thank you for response.

Please see attached pictures of my dash :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Weiman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-Sport -14

Looks like a manufacturing issue. Surely it should be covered by warranty unless the dealer can prove that you caused the problem?

You might want to head over to babybmw.net which is a UK forum with more activity.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Seems like all the air bubbles are in the same part. Maybe something happened during production of the this part that made it delaminate. I have seen the process of making dashboards, and it is rather complicated, with lots of layers and machines involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Michael_S91
Rep

Weiman, ovekvam thank you for quick reply. Are my winshield was replaced ? What about the sound reduced material was cold/wet on bottom plastic cover where cabin filter is ? They don't have anything to proof it was caused by me but if it is manufacturing issue why they making a problems ? Thank you for the link to UK website.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 125i

Send a complain letter to the UK office with the repair shop code and explain the situation. There is a big gap of explanations on behalf of the bmw shop on this, since there is no abuse on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Michael_S91
Rep

HercPehl send a few emails today to customer service, bmw warranty, bmw UK claim office, bmw service advisor from last visit and to different managers. We will se tomorrow. Thank you for response. They ask me what I think it is ? Terrible staff.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

If you knew you would had a shop repairing cars not taking it to a repair shop to have yours looked...
Could be any reason however, the area you demonstrate as defect is close to the airbag. With time that may cause a problem, such as popping while parked and lead to an injury or the right opposite not work at all when needed.
Lastly the paid money concerned a product produced from a high valued luxury car company not from low end company....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Michael_S91
Rep

That is why I am afraid about the passanger Air Bag or other problems with electric (hope not). You are right about everything. Now I can wait for next visit and emails or call from BMW and pray. Hoping to find out what is the cause behind it. My first bimmmer...

Hi again,

Back to my case, BMW want a proof that my dash in my car wasn't replaced before, because my car was write off by insurance company CAT D and they thinking dash was replaced and that is why car was written off, they want a invoice of repairs but I don't have any invoices. I know o that car I have scratches on front bumper, front bumper lower grill (plastic is broken), deep scratch on left rear door, deep scratch on roof , deep scratch on rear bumper and injector with sensor was replaced. Basicly those things were as act of vandalism but insurance company writte off the car. Ho to proof BMW that my car wasn't damage in accident and the most important dash wasn't replaced ?

Last edited by Michael_S91; 04-05-2018 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #9
HercPehl
Enlisted Member
Rep

if the change took place in non bmw repair shop then you dont have much to battle on. on the other hand you car files is loaded on the main frame in germany. So advise them kindly to drop the bullshit and seek consumer legal help and raise a case with them if they dont comply.
Request solid proof regarding their assumption accusation on paper.....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #10
Michael_S91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercPehl View Post
if the change took place in non bmw repair shop then you dont have much to battle on. on the other hand you car files is loaded on the main frame in germany. So advise them kindly to drop the bullshit and seek consumer legal help and raise a case with them if they dont comply.
Request solid proof regarding their assumption accusation on paper.....
Where I can find an email address or phone numer to BMW in Germany (manufacturer )? I don't know If dashboard was replaced anywhere. Some people on UK forum think maybe front windscreen was smashed by vandal and then rain make damage on dashboard. For my that damge is under the leather.

Some people write to me to check a manufacture date stamped on dashboard, but I do not know where those numbers are ( somewhere under dash but where ) it is possible to check that ?

If I take photos of window numbers in my car can someone help me to check part/serial numbers on if the front window was replaced/damaged etc. ?

Thank you for you response.
Appreciate 0