BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > pre-LCI M135i - brakes / track feeling question

03-02-2018, 04:11 AM   #1
PiciuM
Rep
Drives: 2012 IS-F, ex-e90 330i

pre-LCI M135i - brakes / track feeling question

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about going back to BMW after couple of years with IS-F.
I want smaller, lighter car with manual transmission which can seat 4 and M135i ticks all these boxes. Later I would probably tune it slightly, starting with suspension upgrade and maybe later engine mapping.

Went through quite some reviews on web, but have couple of questions to you:

- brakes - I've heard in couple of reviews that brake pedal feel is inconsistent - sometimes pedal goes quite deep, sometimes it 'catches' from the top. Can somebody confirm it? How do these brakes deal with track? Are there some good pads from Pagid or ProjectMu for these calipers?

- track behaviour in general - any issues with OEM car overheating? I'm talking about 'medium car beating', as of course you can overheat almost every car... What about cars with Stage 1 tune (talking around 360bhp)?How compliant non-adaptive suspension is on track? How is understeer / turn-in with PSS tyres on stock suspension?

I would be very grateful for any honest opinions

Cheers!
Piotrek
      03-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I don't have an M135i, but I have driven the F20 on quite a few track days. My current 118i has the same brakes as the M135i.

The brake feel is good, and the balance of the car going deeply into corners with trail braking is excellent. Very consistent. With my engine, it is impossible to overheat the brakes, but I suspect I could do it with 300+ hp. There are optional Performance brakes from BMW. They are probably slightly better.

The stock non adaptive suspension is very compliant. It can feel a bit sluggish, but if works well for experienced drivers. In my opinion, the balance is best with a square tyre setup. With the narrower front wheels, you get a bit too much understeer. There is an optional Performance suspension from BMW, but I have never come across any F20 that has it, so I don't know how it performs.

The fake LSD works well for the smaller engines, but I would have gone for a Quaife unit on the M135i.

Another thing to consider, is M4 front control arms for more negative camber. Otherwise you will experience excessive outer tyre wear up front during track days.

The steering feel is a bit vague in the F20 until you push the car to the limit, but when you take it to the limit, you get plenty of feedback, even on ice tracks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
PiciuM
Rep
Drives: 2012 IS-F, ex-e90 330i

Thanks for very informative answer! So for you no inconsistent brake pedal feel, which is good news!

I would be happy to hear also from M135i owners about brakes / possible track overheating of OEM car.
      03-02-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
There are optional Performance brakes from BMW. They are probably slightly better.
Of course they are: you can have them orange. They are larger and heavier too: M Sport ("light blue" - never noticed on the rotor, did they install "Alternate part: Original BMW Accessories" with M Sport package?), M Performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I don't have an M135i, but I have driven the F20 on quite a few track days. My current 118i has the same brakes as the M135i.

The brake feel is good, and the balance of the car going deeply into corners with trail braking is excellent. Very consistent. With my engine, it is impossible to overheat the brakes, but I suspect I could do it with 300+ hp. There are optional Performance brakes from BMW. They are probably slightly better.

The stock non adaptive suspension is very compliant. It can feel a bit sluggish, but if works well for experienced drivers. In my opinion, the balance is best with a square tyre setup. With the narrower front wheels, you get a bit too much understeer. There is an optional Performance suspension from BMW, but I have never come across any F20 that has it, so I don't know how it performs.

The fake LSD works well for the smaller engines, but I would have gone for a Quaife unit on the M135i.

Another thing to consider, is M4 front control arms for more negative camber. Otherwise you will experience excessive outer tyre wear up front during track days.

The steering feel is a bit vague in the F20 until you push the car to the limit, but when you take it to the limit, you get plenty of feedback, even on ice tracks.
I had an m135i and over time fettled it to fix foibles I felt needed addressing.

Brakes - agreed they're not bad out of the box and I chose to upgrade hoses and changed to DOT5.1 fluid. Pads were OK and eventually switched to OE m4 sport pads however OE f8x standard pads are useful upgrade for m sport brakes. I also chose to upgrade to mpbbk spec by adding 370mm discs and calipers to the front axle of the car. Not essential TBH as you can buy 340mm slotted/dimpled discs to fit standard calipers but I tend to late and trial brake and this setup worked well for me.

Suspension - wallowy and vague on track - upgraded springs with OE existing adaptive will help - I went further with mine upgrading ARBs, adding F8x front arms and fitting f22 underfloor v brace to help locate rear subframe.

Diff - yes traction is an issue esp with 245 rear tyres and I had a Quaife LSD - superb.

Tyres - I think the car is under-tyred from the factory and so would work better with 8"/8.5" wheels with 245/255 tyres.

BP

PS - read this m135i owners thread on BabyBMW forum about his car and use on track http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=100021

Last edited by Bee Pee; 03-09-2018 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0