BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Leather interior care (seats)

07-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
LordGee
LordGee
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport (2014)

Question Leather interior care (seats)

Hi,

I've very recently taken possession of my new 125i M sport and it's not only my first BMW ( ) but also the first car I own with leather seats.

Now I know I'm going to need to do some maintenance/cleaning of those seats in order to keep them looking good and I want to be proactive about it, and hence I'm trying to find some reliable and quality product to apply on a regular basis (every monthly/ quarterly / every six months ?).

So if some of you could recommend products that do the job well without breaking the bank that would be great.

I'm particularly looking for replies of people who have tried and compared a few products over time and can recommend one particular one.

Let's make this a constructive one instead of a "I hate product X" thread

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I like Mother's Leather Conditioner
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
Hummy
Rep
Drives: BMW M135I

Not a cleaner but more of a tip from me:

I've noticed if I sit with jeans that have buttons at the back, it tends to leave an indent on the seat-That is quite noticeable. Also, while getting out the car it may cause a feint cut across the leather on the side bolster
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
bmw-performance
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i M-sport AT

I use Ammo NYC. I really like the products Ammo supplies. It offers great value for money and Larry (Owner of Ammo NYC) gives great support by e-mail and with his YouTube channel.

I bought the AMMO INTERIOR REGIMEN KIT and the interior brush.

Check out his website: http://www.ammonyc.com
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Generally, most reputable brands found in auto shops are OK.
I have used Meguiars and ArmorAll leather wipes and found they keep the leather in good condition. A weekly wipe over works well.
When I get really keen (therapy) I do the full clean, condition, seal etc with Meguiars Gold range of Leather products.
Don't clean if the interior is hot or in full sunlight. Take your time working the conditioner into the leather.
If you spill something on the leather or have colour from clothing on it use a leather cleaner first, let the leather dry in the cool, then condition it, then seal it.
I found that using the cleaner with a soft shoe brush is excellent for cleaning seats and a microfiber cloth best for the conditioner. If you seal it after, you will only need to use the wipes to maintain it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Generally, most reputable brands found in auto shops are OK.
I have used Meguiars and ArmorAll leather wipes and found they keep the leather in good condition. A weekly wipe over works well.
When I get really keen (therapy) I do the full clean, condition, seal etc with Meguiars Gold range of Leather products.
Don't clean if the interior is hot or in full sunlight. Take your time working the conditioner into the leather.
If you spill something on the leather or have colour from clothing on it use a leather cleaner first, let the leather dry in the cool, then condition it, then seal it.
I found that using the cleaner with a soft shoe brush is excellent for cleaning seats and a microfiber cloth best for the conditioner. If you seal it after, you will only need to use the wipes to maintain it.
^^Pretty much covers it 100%
      07-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats on your new ride

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

Chemical guys leather products look good! That's what I would buy if I had leather. All their products leather, outside waxes, sealants and everything else have videos on YouTube showing you exactly how to use them and the results the achieve
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
LordGee
LordGee
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i M Sport (2014)

Thanks for all your replies and tips guys. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I'm less sure about Mothers, Armorall and Meguiars leather stuff. Funny smell, unnatural sheen. I've also tried Autoglym but that leaves a slightly greasy coating.

Happiest with Swissvax or Zaino, both as cleaners and protectors in that they dry matte and don't leave a residue. Then again, some say all that is needed with modern coated leathers such as found in BMWs is to vaccuum regularly and clean with a dilute solution of wool wash such as Softly.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Then again, some say all that is needed with modern coated leathers such as found in BMWs is to vaccuum regularly and clean with a dilute solution of wool wash such as Softly.
I agree that a vacuum is the first step.
Keeping the seats free from dust and grit is best.
I am not sure about using a diluted Wool wash as it contains wetting agents(spirits) and essential oils which work on woolen clothes, however, nearly all new cars have coated leather(PU) which wears well but can be damaged with prolonged wetting (this effects the porous PU).
If wetting products are used on a regular basis they can damage the PU top coat of the leather.
It initially feels good on the outside, but it is being slowly damaged.
Some Car “leather care” products also damage over time, however most are now formulated (water based) or use isopropyl alcohol so they pass into the leather without damaging the coating. There are some new products on the market like 'Bowden's own' that claim to be designed for modern leather seats. I have used it and it appears to work well. I think 'Leather wipes' are good for a general clean and protect. I would not use products that say they work on both leather and vinyl. If you intend to keep your car for a very long time, buy the best products you can afford.
Appreciate 0