BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 1 series product argumentation

06-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

1 series product argumentation

So I went to another dealership today to see if I could better the discount offered by the other. A more uninspiring sales person I have yet to meet, with little product knowledge or enthusiasm. Perhaps the biggest problem is that bmws really do sell themselves and only require order takers, not sales people to process the paper work. That said, the lady I dealt with at the other dealership was awesome, so much so that I'd seriously consider giving her the business even if I could get a better deal elsewhere.

As it turns out they couldn't even match the discount, but I did get the "product argumentation" brochure, as they didn't have proper brochures (the other dealership did have proper brochures). I'm not sure if the general public is supposed to see these, they certainly are interesting.

I wish I had this in pdf format so I could show you guys, but I'll give you a few highlights instead. It starts with a double page picture of a sea of golfs, ready for shipping and says "golf...". Open up the spread and inside is one red sportline 1 series "...class"

It breaks the 1 series down into 5 arguments:
Individuality
Design
BMW efficient dynamics
Driving Dynamics
BMW connected drive

It goes on to outline the urban and sport line, there are 756 different possible combinations with a 1 series (exterior colours, upholstery, trims and wheels)

2880 combinations with the urban line. 2880 with the sportline leading to a total of 6516 combinations. This was printed before the M sport pack which adds more combos of course.

They consider the rivals to be the VW golf, Audi A3 and mercedes A class. They put a lot of emphasis on available options of each (of course all the options they use as comparison are naturally all available on the 1 series)

The competition in a nutshell:

BMW 1 series
The new bmw 1 series really stands out from a crowd, with it's compact shooting break design, sporty appearance and unbeatable efficiency and driving dynamics. The bmw urban and sport lines allow customers to express their individuality to a degree that was, until now, unimaginable. It has a fenerous sense of spaciousness. The vehicles rear wheel drive, which is unique to its segment, coypled with outstanding equipment features such as connectedDrive make the new bmw 1 series the no 1. car in the compact class.

VW golf
The current VW golf is the sixth edition of this model, which has been on the market since 2008. We don't anticipate this mpdel to receive any further facelifts, seeing as the golf 7, it's completely redesigned successor is scheduled to debut in autumn 2012. The golf instigated what is nowadays referred to as the compact class and as germany's best selling car, it is clearly built to appeal to a very wide range of people. Over the years, this broad appeal has necessitated a rather bland (almost boring) design. After all, VW operates on the principle "play it safe, don't make any changes to the best selling model." It's greatest strength is that it doesn't have any great weaknesses.

Audi A3
The audi A3 sportback, which has been available since 2004, is definitely getting on in years. It's two facelifts in 2008 and 2010 didn't do much to change this. It's successor is expected to arrive in Autumn 2012. In many ways, the audi a3 has proven itself to be quite a solid performer, but it's hardly a trailblazer. Technological highlights aren't the A3's strongpoint. It's driving characteristics do emphasise sportiness but, as a front well drive, it delivers considerably less driving pleasure than the new bmw 1 series. A new model is expected in autumn 2012.

As an aside I happened to come across an upcoming A3 in a parking lot here in south africa. It was completely uncamouflaged and honestly it mixed this cute bubbly A1 profile with a super angry audi front. Neither of which I particularly like. I struck it off my list of possibilities after seeing it

mercedes A class
With it's short, high and extremely wedge shaped bodywork, the A class is quite a special competitor. Launched in 2004 and given a facelift in 2008 the A class never really managed to build up a large customer base. Lacking in emotion the A class mostly appeals to an older, less dynamic group of buyers- the type whose primary aim is to drive a mercedes. (ouch). Nevertheless the A class is not regarded as a 'real' mercedes by most. (double ouch, can't say I disagree though). Driving comfort and balanced proportions are not the first things that come to mind when you lay eyes on it. While it offers good flexibility and safety features, along with easy operation, these qualities are more counteracted by its indifferent handling and rather noisy engine. Mercedes itself also seems to have come to this conclusion. It's successor (expected in autumn 2012) is rumored to have a much more dynamic design and a classic hatchback.

While I'm not completely blinded by the 1 series, I don't like the design of 3rd rear brake light, the fact that the rear wiper doesn't do a 180 degree wipe, rather just a strip and it only has one reverse light (just to use the back of the car as an example of things I don't like) The argument they make against the competitors do make sense. Both the A class and A3 will change this year, but I still feel confident that even without waiting to see what they're about, putting my money in the 1 series will give me the most ownership satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

All the sales talk about the car being classy and exclusive doesn't appeal to me at all. For me it is pretty much all about driving dynamics. The F20/21 is the only new car on the market that offers rear wheel drive with a practical compact sized body.

The alternative was to go for an older car or the new Toyota GT86. It is however less practical and more expensive.

Before deciding, I got a chance to drive an F20 on an ice racing track on a frozen lake. I was very convinced by the handling of the car, and decided to buy one.

I have driven some Golfs as rental cars, and the driving experience does not even come close to the F20.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Well said, it's all about the rwd... When i was looking around for a new car the audi a3 and vw golf provided way more car for the money in terms of equipment/price point of view but i could not get over the fact that when you sat down behind the wheel of a golf or a3 i could not tell wether it was the 2012 version or the 2007 version or whatever. It just felt old and boring even brand new... That's not fun to buy... Now with the all new golf and a3 coming this fall the choice is way more difficult, especially when you probably get a well-specced a3 with quattro for the same price as an equivalent f20 without awd..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
Well said, it's all about the rwd... When i was looking around for a new car the audi a3 and vw golf provided way more car for the money in terms of equipment/price point of view but i could not get over the fact that when you sat down behind the wheel of a golf or a3 i could not tell wether it was the 2012 version or the 2007 version or whatever. It just felt old and boring even brand new... That's not fun to buy... Now with the all new golf and a3 coming this fall the choice is way more difficult, especially when you probably get a well-specced a3 with quattro for the same price as an equivalent f20 without awd..
I assume you want awd because of snow? In south africa where it doesn't snow I wish my GTI was rwd in terms of putting the power down, but I don't need the expense and drivetrain loss of an awd car. I assume the new A3 will follow this formula, accept the shortcomings of the fwd 2.0T or pay lots of money for a Quattro S3.

The styling of the A3, well that's personal choice. But it does have a pop up infotainment screen. I don't understand this because when would you want to drive the car with this retracted? Even if it's just displaying what radio station you on, I would want it up and on. And when up it looks like an afterthought, not nicely and stylistically incorporated into the dash.

Audis draw card has always been interior quality, but I've touched, squeezed, tapped every interior panel in the 1 series and it is premium through and through. I haven't put pen to paper on my 125i just yet so I'm open to any alternative but the a3 isn't it. Possibly a golf 7 GTI may be an alternative but I don't want to wait that long. And with a gazillion permutations my 1 will always be a little more special than the GTI which only comes in a handful of colours.

Fortunately I managed to get my GTI in quite an uncommon colour. Blue graphite. It's been complimented endlessly. I guess I want my new car to also be a bit unique. In south Africa the m sport pack is more expensive in lesser models than the 125i, so much so that it makes no sense to choose it when considering how much it costs in comparison to the base price of the car. As estoril blue is M specific my car will always be a little uncommon.

I suspect a lot of people will think its actually an M135i. I can live with that

On an emotional level I want a 1, on an intellectual level I can't formulate much of an argument against it. So I guess this forum will have to endure the difficult process of me chewing over every option until I sign off my spec for build
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi Diesel20
If you want to base your decision upon a practical perspective

BMW engines won the 2012 Engine of year award

The 125i is quicker than a GTi

Looks flasher

Tiff Needell from 5th Gear loves the F20 ('it rear wheel drive, what joy')

Estroil Blue is only available for M Sport

Has a BMW badge
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
dubman
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125iM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Audis draw card has always been interior quality, but I've touched, squeezed, tapped every interior panel in the 1 series and it is premium through and through.
I'm glad to hear this.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi Diesel20
BMW engines won the 2012 Engine of year award