BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Information about future 2018 1-series hatch

04-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #1
Petr0lhead
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F20 M-Sport

Information about future 2018 1-series hatch

I was able to gain some information about the upcoming 2018 BMW 1-series hatch for the european market.
It's not much but the following facts are pretty credible.

I can't tell you the source of this information and I don't know, if these facts are transferable to the 2-series Coupe as well but I would say they probably are.

- The next 1-series will be introduced around the end of 2017.
- It will be FWD (no surprises there) with an optional X-Drive that will be similiar to the new Mini Countrymans layout.
- It will keep the F-nomenclature.
- The entry-level engines will be three-cylinder units.
- The most interesting fact was that the next M135i will gain a four-cylinder engine since a six pot won't fit anymore and it will be X-Drive only, just like its competitors (Audi S/RS3, Mercedes A/CLA45 AMG).

So from 2017 onwards, there won't be any new rear-wheel drive, four-door hatch made by BMW at all and the 3-series is probably going to be BMW's entry for rear wheel drive cars.
I think they will loose a lot of costumers on that one, especially, if this is transferable to the next 2-series Coupe and maybe even the second-gen M2.

I think you don't necessarily need RWD for a 114i/116i. But I guess a lot of customers would like to see rear-wheel drive for the higher performance versions.
I'm fine with BMW having a FWD Active Tourer. But this is going a bit too far for me....

I wouldn't have bought my 1-series if it was FWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr0lhead View Post
I was able to gain some information about the upcoming 2018 BMW 1-series hatch for the european market.
It's not much but the following facts are pretty credible.

I can't tell you the source of this information and I don't know, if these facts are transferable to the 2-series Coupe as well but I would say they probably are.

- The next 1-series will be introduced around the end of 2017.
- It will be FWD (no surprises there) with an optional X-Drive that will be similiar to the new Mini Countrymans layout.
- It will keep the F-nomenclature.
- The entry-level engines will be three-cylinder units.
- The most interesting fact was that the next M135i will gain a four-cylinder engine since a six pot won't fit anymore and it will be X-Drive only, just like its competitors (Audi S/RS3, Mercedes A/CLA45 AMG).

So from 2017 onwards, there won't be any new rear-wheel drive, four-door hatch made by BMW at all and the 3-series is probably going to be BMW's entry for rear wheel drive cars.
I think they will loose a lot of costumers on that one, especially, if this is transferable to the next 2-series Coupe and maybe even the second-gen M2.

I think you don't necessarily need RWD for a 114i/116i. But I guess a lot of customers would like to see rear-wheel drive for the higher performance versions.
I'm fine with BMW having a FWD Active Tourer. But this is going a bit too far for me....

I wouldn't have bought my 1-series if it was FWD.
That sucks but what really grinds my gears is when people keep spelling lose with loose.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
That sucks but what really grinds my gears is when people keep spelling lose with loose.
LOL.
      04-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Can't be bothered with any of it. Bought a new BMW this round, and my next BMW will be an E30. Totally disinterested in anything they are putting out post 2013.
      04-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
OP is from Germany. Beer with him.

No hot news there, we've known that for some time, but I just assured myself that the successor to my 135i won't be another 1 Series.
      04-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
it's ok. english is not everyone's first language.....the fact that he's sharing this much from another country should be rewarded...not nitpicking his spelling; which is not cool.
Appreciate 1