BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > The Next BMW i model begins to take shape - plug-in hybrid sports sedan

04-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #45
nicholls_dean
Rep
Drives: Mazda6 2.2d TS 5Dr hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes and the i5 will follow the same philosophy in our expertise in using lightweight technology to mark a significant presence in that segment. As the i3 and i8 continue to do.
I like how in this conceptual art work, they retain the front end of what looks like a 3 Series Gran Turismo (the headlight design element anyway) and have managed to keep it looking contemporary, in-line with the i sub brand design.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #46
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls_dean View Post

The i8 weighs around half the weight of the Tesla.
The Tesla and i8 are in two completely different categories of car. How foolish to compare the two strictly because they share similar methods of propulsion. I guess a Ford F250 and Ferrari 458 Italia are in the same category too then.

And yes, I do expect BMW to give this four door sedan car 250 to 300+ miles of range when it goes into production FIVE YEARS FROM TODAY. Not tomorrow, not next week, but FIVE YEARS FROM TODAY. You know, when battery technology is more advanced.

At this point, any manufacturer that produces a luxurious electric car is competing with Tesla, whether they like it or not. Tesla is the benchmark right now.

With all due respect sir, get bent.

Last edited by Chihuahua; 04-15-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Plug in Hybrids are not Born Electric.

Only the i3 BEV is Born Electric !!

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:23 AM   #48
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes and the i5 will follow the same philosophy in our expertise in using lightweight technology to mark a significant presence in that segment. As the i3 and i8 continue to do.
So this is the rumored i5... Disappointing in so many ways...
I was really hoping to go back to BMW by 2017-2018 but I'm hopefully never going to own something with a combustion engine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
The Tesla and i8 are in two completely different categories of car. How foolish to compare the two strictly because they share similar methods of propulsion. I guess a Ford F250 and Ferrari 458 Italia are in the same category too then.

And yes, I do expect BMW to give this four door sedan car 250 to 300+ miles of range when it goes into production FIVE YEARS FROM TODAY. Not tomorrow, not next week, but FIVE YEARS FROM TODAY. You know, when battery technology is more advanced.

At this point, any manufacturer that produces a luxurious electric car is competing with Tesla, whether they like it or not. Tesla is the benchmark right now.
^This
Without a full electric range in 2020. This car will be still born...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
+1 and it will prob have like 35 miles range electric. Stop lagging behind bmw mercedes GM etc, Tesla has paved the way, try to keep up
Hummm.... So GM came out with the EV1 in 1996 and had introduced the skateboard chassis concept even earlier than that (other manufacturers did too) well before Elon even decided to create Tesla. And as far as hybrid drive technology goes, everyone knows that the American company TRW back in the early 1970's introduced the parallel-hybrid design and had running prototypes in 1971- 1973 or thereabouts.

And although the Tesla S is a great car in some respects and a class leader (in a class of $100K electric cars...), it really is just an electric car with a really big battery.

And it's no secret that at the birth of the automotive industry in the late 1800's and early 1900's there were both gas and electric propulsion designs, and gasoline won out simply for the reason gasoline makes for a better portable fuel source, as it still does today...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #50
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls_dean View Post

The i8 weighs around half the weight of the Tesla.

With all due respect sir, get bent.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Car not coming out until 5 years and already got haters
It's just a drawing... It is not even real. Nothing to hate. There are 5th graders all over the world drawing cars and imagining it will have a saltwater-fueled nuclear fuel-cell electric drivetrain that goes 300 miles on 2 ounces of fuel. And a 0-60 time of 2.5 seconds. Easy.

The Lambo doors just make it even more cool.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0