BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > X5M / X6M - 550 hp Twin Scroll Turbos

03-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The main argument here was that a turbo engine could not have the same dynamics as a N/A engine.

This is simply not true. A performance tuned turbo engine does not taper off near the end of it's range. Turbo engines can easily mimic high revving N/A engines with the right tuning. Some manufacturers completely control the boost at the cost of reduced low-end power to make sure their engines feel like N/A ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #24
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vAnt826 View Post
The main argument here was that a turbo engine could not have the same dynamics as a N/A engine.

This is simply not true. A performance tuned turbo engine does not taper off near the end of it's range. Turbo engines can easily mimic high revving N/A engines with the right tuning. Some manufacturers completely control the boost at the cost of reduced low-end power to make sure their engines feel like N/A ones.

The fact that these guys are using twin scroll turbos is encourage but it also means they want boost from top to bottom.

The other part of the equation is the new Ms are rumored to have KERs....if this helps mask turbo lag at the low end and the turbos are tuned to give punch all the way to the redline....it would be the least ugly option.
      03-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #25
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
The NA car just keeps pulling and pulling beyond the rev limiter if you want. I'd be shocked if any turbo car could do the same.
Volumetric efficiency called, he said you're wrong.

I've never seen an NA car continue to pull to it's redline. Torque in any engine without an artificially flattened mid range torque will drop off to redline.

It's no coincidence, that's one of the reasons a redline is chosen besides the capability of the valvetrain. If it did have the VE to pull to redline the engineers would redesign the head to allow it to rev higher.
      03-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #26
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

It wil be interesting over the next few years. I love the drive and pull of my M3 compared to my Dinan'd 335. It just didn't pull through to the top as hard. Torque like pig down low though.
Appreciate 0