BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Whats th difference between sport mode and putting auto box in to Drive Sport?

04-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
thomo59
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Whats th difference between sport mode and putting auto box in to Drive Sport?

Hi all,

Just had a 118d SE auto on demo, and wanted to know if there was any difference between putting the car in the sport mode using the toggle switch and just pushing the gear over to the left into Sports Drive.

Can anyone advise what is the difference between the two and whether doing both makes the car the most sportiest (if thats even a real word ).

Thanks

Last edited by thomo59; 04-26-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Eh, sport mode is changing the throttle response and the suspension (if you have adaptive suspension) to a sportier stand.

Last edited by hwelvaar; 04-26-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

Sport on the AT does not make you manually change gears, in whatever mode you are. If you use the flippers in D you go to manual, but after a while of not using the flippers yourself, it returns to D. If you use the flippers in S, it stays in M.

As to OP's question.

In mine, sport mode (via the button) also changes the gearbox. If I go from comfort to sport, the gearbox goes down one gear and keeps the revs higher.

Similarly, if I drive in comfort and flip the gearbox from D to S, it changes down one gear and keeps the revs higher.

It seems that you get about the same effect by doing two different things. In S, the gearbox does wait a little longer to shift up than in D.

If you are driving in sport, however, and then put the gearbox in S as well, the car keeps the engine higher in the revs and is even more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgguysomg View Post
Sport on the AT does not make you manually change gears, in whatever mode you are. If you use the flippers in D you go to manual, but after a while of not using the flippers yourself, it returns to D. If you use the flippers in S, it stays in M.

As to OP's question.

In mine, sport mode (via the button) also changes the gearbox. If I go from comfort to sport, the gearbox goes down one gear and keeps the revs higher.

Similarly, if I drive in comfort and flip the gearbox from D to S, it changes down one gear and keeps the revs higher.

It seems that you get about the same effect by doing two different things. In S, the gearbox does wait a little longer to shift up than in D.

If you are driving in sport, however, and then put the gearbox in S as well, the car keeps the engine higher in the revs and is even more aggressive.
If I hear all this, it makes me wonder less if I did the right thing by ordering a MT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
thomo59
Rep
Drives: Mercedes

Thanks for the replies, the demo car did not have adaptive suspension or paddles on the steering wheel and just remained in automatic with DS showing in the instruments panel when you pushed the lever over to the left. Then as you said only went in to manual when you move the gear stick.

When I had it in both Sports on the gearbox and Sports on the toggle switch it did feel quicker and sharper than when just one was in Sports setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
omgguysomg
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
If I hear all this, it makes me wonder less if I did the right thing by ordering a MT
It's easy though. If you just want the snappier gearbox, without the added throttle response, heavier steering and harder suspension, put it in S. If you want the whole car to be snappier, put it in sport. If you want the most aggressive set-up, do both.
Appreciate 0