BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > VW and World Cup Ads

06-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Is it just me or is it a bit rich of them to jokingly rib its US customers over the lack of a US team in the World Cup when they've just been hit with anther $1B fine over the diesel emissions scandal ?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Lol I noticed that too.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Those ads are painfully stereotypical, too -- and are historically and factually inaccurate. Examples:

- Germany did not give us the frankfurter. The 'hot dog' as we know it is actually a parboiled (as opposed to fully smoked or raw) derivation of Vienna sausage. Just as 'Cologne' is 'Koeln' in German, 'Vienna' is 'Wien' in German -- hence the term 'wiener', which is the proper slang term for the type of sausage a hot dog is. That, my friends, is Austrian.
- Belgium does not host the largest techno festival in the world by many measures. Tomorrowland is one of the biggest, but both Electric Daisy and Ultra have comparable per-day attendance -- and they're both in the U.S.

VW ads used to be absolute genius. Now they're just inane.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      06-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
AMSWagon
Private
Rep
Drives: G63

I find them trying too hard to be funny and is tasteless. Maybe a different approach such as "US didn't make the World Cup but with a VW you are part of the wining team", lol.
Appreciate 0