BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Help. Retrofit 8.8 inch screen

10-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
icetuto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20

Help. Retrofit 8.8 inch screen

Hello my dear friends, i have a bmw 116D f20 lci, from 2016... and i have some questions about the bigger screen.

Is it possible for me to fit the 8.8 screen? I've seen it on f30 and some tutorials about it but only for the f30... i know i have to code it, to get the screen the proper resolution and etc...

What do i need to buy besides the screen itself?
I need to buy the original one right? Or do i need to buy a chinese-kind to do it?

I tried to do some searches but i can only find stuff really outdated and i dont want chinese poor quality you know?

Best regards!!

[EDIT] Btw i have the professional bmw radio - 663 Code
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S3 Quattro 300 Hp

Hi,
This has been discussed many times before.
The process is the same as F30.
You will need NBT head unit , 8.8" screen, controller, gps antenna.
Online shops are already selling these parts as a kit. No need to but seperately.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
icetuto
Enlisted Member
Rep

As you saw on my post i talked about the f30 posts... and i wanted to check if the process was the same... so the budget is 1k+?
If you can adress me to a post with the tutorial or something like that would be great
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

I will pm you a few topics.
Note: you WILL need an emulator or a generated license code for the head unit to work otherwise it will block itself when you connect it to your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
icetuto
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eray View Post
I will pm you a few topics.
Note: you WILL need an emulator or a generated license code for the head unit to work otherwise it will block itself when you connect it to your car.
So an emulator ir just a fakra connection in the middle of the display and the head unit right?

Thank you for the response, so its actually the Head Unit, display and a gps antenna ? And also coding of course

Holy hell, im new to all of this... im old school, like when we needed to change the head unit and it was just needed an adaptor, and do some wiring you know? Ahahaha
Even in my Clio 3 Rs all of this was very easy
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #6
eray
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

yeah it needs to be coded to your car's VIN in order to work. I personally got help from a aftermarket shop that retrofits these parts, so I can't help you out about coding and emulator part. However, basically yes emulator just fakes your car's control unit to pretend like that part belongs to your car. second way to achieve this is to buy or generate a license code online and code it yourself. pretty sure a litte bit research on that issue will get you some results. good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
lisaliyan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hi,
Did you ever buy a Chinese-kind? Not all Chinese-kind is poor quality.
Hope you find a good one.
Appreciate 0