BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW Wash/Care Solutions

06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

BMW Wash/Care Solutions

Dear bloggers,
I was doing a research to find the best tools for protecting my beautiful black F20 paint

I received my car last wednesday, brilliant and perfect...now, 9 days later, there are lots of marks because of bad car washers at my office's parking lot, they use really bad products.

Today, I went to my local Sonax Car Center and I paid for the full paint care service, with includes everything I need to remove marks and seal. They say this lasts for 12 months. So I will leave my car tomorrow morning and the day after tomorrow I'll let you know the results.

To make long story short, I was looking for some products in order to keep this paint treatment and keep my car brilliant.

Do you have any suggestions for products?

check this site http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/blog/d...pro-polishing/
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi
The problem with those local car washing places is they use the same clothes and this is where the problems start. There are many good brands of car washing and detailing products on the market that you can use. It is more the time taken to clean the car and how it is done that is important. I use a high pressure washer or hose with a flat spray head and wash the car from the roof down to remove any grit particles, then I fill a watering can with warm water and desolve the car wash solution in it. Next, I water the car from the top down and let the solution sit for a couple of minutes, this is to dislodge or soften any dirt or dust, then I fill the watering can with warm water only and repeat as before. Next, I fill a bucket with warm water and add the car wash, mix it, then use a wool mitt to wash the car going in straight lines from the top down making sure that the water is pushed out in front of the mitt. Once you have cleaned a small area, wash it off with the watering can filled with warm water and a half cap of Dishwasher rinse aid (this will stop spotting). While it is still wet use a large chammis in a slap and drag motion to remove the water. Then, use a microfibre cloth to wipe any excess moisture. finally if you want that just bought the car shine use a clay bar and clay bar lubricate to polish or then use carnauba wax in a weave pattern and buff off lightly by hand. Finnaly, clean your wheels seperately with a wheel cleaner and tyre conditioner. Your car will look and stay in showroom condition. If all of this is too hard, take your car to a professional detailer like you are doing, have a coffee or two and watch them do it. I have used a few high end products and the likes of auto glym, Z18, but now use Meguiars. It is most important that you only wash and polish your car in the shade. I hope this will help you keep your car looking flash. PS If you want to do a quick clean when you have been caught in light rain with fine road spray, just use a high pressure washer or hose with flat nozzle (from the top down) then rince with the watering can (warm water and 1/2 cap of dishwasher rince aid), this will remove most of the grit. Do not wipe off the car if you do the quick wash!!!!!

Last edited by AusF20/F48; 06-24-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

I am suprised that no one else has commented on their own car detailing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Hi
The problem with those local car washing places is they use the same clothes and this is where the problems start. There are many good brands of car washing and detailing products on the market that you can use. It is more the time taken to clean the car and how it is done that is important. I use a high pressure washer or hose with a flat spray head and wash the car from the roof down to remove any grit particles, then I fill a watering can with warm water and desolve the car wash solution in it. Next, I water the car from the top down and let the solution sit for a couple of minutes, this is to dislodge or soften any dirt or dust, then I fill the watering can with warm water only and repeat as before. Next, I fill a bucket with warm water and add the car wash, mix it, then use a wool mitt to wash the car going in straight lines from the top down making sure that the water is pushed out in front of the mitt. Once you have cleaned a small area, wash it off with the watering can filled with warm water and a half cap of Dishwasher rinse aid (this will stop spotting). While it is still wet use a large chammis in a slap and drag motion to remove the water. Then, use a microfibre cloth to wipe any excess moisture. finally if you want that just bought the car shine use a clay bar and clay bar lubricate to polish or then use carnauba wax in a weave pattern and buff off lightly by hand. Finnaly, clean your wheels seperately with a wheel cleaner and tyre conditioner. Your car will look and stay in showroom condition. If all of this is too hard, take your car to a professional detailer like you are doing, have a coffee or two and watch them do it. I have used a few high end products and the likes of auto glym, Z18, but now use Meguiars. It is most important that you only wash and polish your car in the shade. I hope this will help you keep your car looking flash. PS If you want to do a quick clean when you have been caught in light rain with fine road spray, just use a high pressure washer or hose with flat nozzle (from the top down) then rince with the watering can (warm water and 1/2 cap of dishwasher rince aid), this will remove most of the grit. Do not wipe off the car if you do the quick wash!!!!!
Maybe nobody else wants to share their techniques :P but thank you so much for your amazing and full detailed technique to wash your car. It takes about an hour and a half for the full proccess in a professional detailer and I' satisfied with the ond I found close to my house. They applied the paing nano protection from Sonax with 12 months warranty and the results are excellent
Now in a week or two They will apply the carnauba wax
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
I am suprised that no one else has commented on their own car detailing.
I guess people out there are busy caring for their cars

Anyway, here are my detailing habits:
I deliver the car for Ditec paint protection a couple of months after new car delivery. After that it only needs an easy treatment once a year in the same detailing shop.
Between the yearly treatments I wash the car myself, mostly once a week, or after 2 weeks if the weather has been nice. This is the way I do it:

1) Luke warm high pressure spray with shampoo. (If the wheels are very dirty I spray them separately with a suitable product first). The high pressure spraying takes 30 minutes, half of it is spent on the wheels, either they are precleaned or not.
I don't forget to spray the rubber floor mats, hanging on the wall.
2) Handwashing the car with a quality microfibre mitt. I use around 15 litres lukewarm water in a bucket, with a good shampoo. The wheels, wheel arcs and exhaust pipes are cleaned separately with a sponge inserted with shampoo. Here goes another 10 litres of lukewarm water.
3) Spraying with high pressure clean and cold water, to get rid of any soap leftovers (I actually do that in two steps - first after washing the body, second after washing the wheels).
4) Spraying the engine compartment with high pressure clean and cold water
5) Drying the car with a microfibre towel, being careful not letting the towel touch the ground or the wheels.
6) Wiping off door and trunk openings with a microfibre cloth

Every second time or at least when needed I extend the washing by:
7) Wiping off the engine and engine compartment with a microfibre cloth (people think I'm insane when the see me doing this)
8) Vacuuming the interior
9) Wiping off all interior surfaces, including windows

Step 1-6 normally takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the complete process about 3 hours.
Preferably done Sunday morning on a nearby petrol station

Last edited by Superspeed; 06-26-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
And I presume you then go to the 6er!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
And I presume you then go to the 6er!
Almost true, but the 1er is my daily driver, so it needs more frequent washes!
The 6er has more delicate interior surfaces, so it tends to take even longer time.
Needless to say having two new cars keep me busy during week ends
      06-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
Almost true, but the 1er is my daily driver, so it needs more frequent washes!
The 6er has more delicate interior surfaces, so it tends to take even longer time.
Needless to say having two new cars keep me busy during week ends
I want two BMW's too!

I want to sell my wife's CRV and buy the X3 ...let's call the Ocean's eleven!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
1) Luke warm high pressure spray with shampoo. (If the wheels are very dirty I spray them separately with a suitable product first). The high pressure spraying takes 30 minutes, half of it is spent on the wheels, either they are precleaned or not.
I don't forget to spray the rubber floor mats, hanging on the wall.
2) Handwashing the car with a quality microfibre mitt. I use around 15 litres lukewarm water in a bucket, with a good shampoo. The wheels, wheel arcs and exhaust pipes are cleaned separately with a sponge inserted with shampoo. Here goes another 10 litres of lukewarm water.
3) Spraying with high pressure clean and cold water, to get rid of any soap leftovers (I actually do that in two steps - first after washing the body, second after washing the wheels).
5) Drying the car with a microfibre towel, being careful not letting the towel touch the ground or the wheels.
6) Wiping off door and trunk openings with a microfibre cloth

Every second time or at least when needed I extend the washing by:
7) Wiping off the engine and engine compartment with a microfibre cloth (people think I'm insane when the see me doing this)
8) Vacuuming the interior
9) Wiping off all interior surfaces, including windows

Step 1-6 normally takes 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the complete process about 3 hours.
Preferably done Sunday morning on a nearby petrol station

I go through a fairly similar washing process, except that I don't have the luxury of a warm water pressure hose, so cold has to do.

When cleaning the interior (also every 2nd wash), in addition to vacuuming, I clean the following with a very soft bristled brush:

- Air vents
- iDrive display
- Instrument cluster
- Stalks, gearlever, control buttons (radio, aircon)
- High gloss surfaces - the black is particularly sensitive and prone to showing scratches, very careful here

I also then use Sonax Extreme matt interior cleaner on pretty much all plastic surfaces, except the high gloss stuff, of course. Amazing stuff, works very well, prevents static build-up and smells OEM without a fruity or flowery fragrance.

I also dress the tires with Turtle nano gel, which gives a subtle shine and lasts well in summer.

Less regularly:

- Every 3 months or so, I'll wash and then apply a coat of Meguair's Gold Class carnauba wax. Love it. I also then use Meguair's Gold Class trim detailer on the black trim pieces (mirror undersides, B-pillar plastic, rear wiper stalk, etc)

- Once a year, I'll do a complete clay bar treatment myself, then wax with Gold Class. This takes about 4-5 hours though, so not something I like to do too often! The finish this provides is incredible, usually a few photos follow as evidence...

Below is a shot of my previous car after claying and a layer of NXT Tech Wax, then Gold Class. Still need to do this with the 1er, but will wait for summer (it's winter and raining here in Cape Town).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
I go through a fairly similar washing process, except that I don't have the luxury of a warm water pressure hose, so cold has to do.

When cleaning the interior (also every 2nd wash), in addition to vacuuming, I clean the following with a very soft bristled brush:

- Air vents
- iDrive display
- Instrument cluster
- Stalks, gearlever, control buttons (radio, aircon)
- High gloss surfaces - the black is particularly sensitive and prone to showing scratches, very careful here

I also then use Sonax Extreme matt interior cleaner on pretty much all plastic surfaces, except the high gloss stuff, of course. Amazing stuff, works very well, prevents static build-up and smells OEM without a fruity or flowery fragrance.

I also dress the tires with Turtle nano gel, which gives a subtle shine and lasts well in summer.

Less regularly:

- Every 3 months or so, I'll wash and then apply a coat of Meguair's Gold Class carnauba wax. Love it. I also then use Meguair's Gold Class trim detailer on the black trim pieces (mirror undersides, B-pillar plastic, rear wiper stalk, etc)

- Once a year, I'll do a complete clay bar treatment myself, then wax with Gold Class. This takes about 4-5 hours though, so not something I like to do too often! The finish this provides is incredible, usually a few photos follow as evidence...

Below is a shot of my previous car after claying and a layer of NXT Tech Wax, then Gold Class. Still need to do this with the 1er, but will wait for summer (it's winter and raining here in Cape Town).
Thanx for tips how to clean air vents and difficult places
For us here in Scandinavia the winter season is the big challenge when it comes to washing and detailing. Due to freezing cold weather, snow, salty and dirty roads it's impossible to keep the same standard as in summer. So I regularely get the car washed in an automatic car wash (without brushes, only high pressure water and chemicals). The car won't be properly cleaned this way, so alternatively I am looking for a manual car wash where they know how to wash without damaging the paint. Which is hard to find. Some of these places are served by underpaid illegal immigrants who do the job in 10 minutes without changing or rinsing the sponge

At least my weekends are less busy during winter
      06-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some of these places are served by underpaid illegal immigrants who do the job in 10 minutes without changing or rinsing the sponge
Which is exactly why I don't let anyone touch my car, as much effort as it creates for me on the weekends.

At least it's a fairly therapeutic excercise most times!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Nadav
Rep
Drives: F20

iBeech , we want new guide from you.
How To : Wash F20.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav View Post
iBeech , we want new guide from you.
How To : Wash F20.
Well, your Crimson red isn't too filthy I've seen

Last edited by Superspeed; 06-26-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Hi all
Good to see everyone sharing their ways to help others care for their Ers.
Thanks for all the good advice. My pet gripe is cleaning wheels, I have tried all sorts of cleaners but you have to wipe or brush them to get rid of the residues. Can anyone tell me if there is a spray on product that totally cleans wheels without having to wipe or brush them as well. I like the exercise, but cleaning the crevices in the wheels drives me mad. The wheels always look dirty with brake dust etc. I have been told there is a new product out there that you spray on that stops the dust from sticking in the first place and you can simply hose them off. Anyone come across it?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Im surprised no one uses the two bucket method and snow foam with there pressure washer.

Heres my method, 2 months in and not a swirl mark in sight.

Firstly i rinse the car off with a medium pressure of cold water, too much pressure will drive grit into the paint.

Then i apply snow foam all over the car, it dwells on each panel for 4-5 mins slowly running off the car lifting any dirt. To apply the snow foam you need a special attachment for the pressure washer and the actual foam itself.

I then rinse the car again with the pressure washer on high pressure this time and again apply another round of snow foam. At this stage i also spray on my wheel cleaner and adjitate with a brush on the alloys. Once ive been round the wheels i again pressure wash the whole car. At this stage the car is pretty spotless and ive not yet layed a wash mitt on it.

Now at this stage i use 2 buckets one with warm water too rinse the wash mitt in and the other with the shampoo to wash over the car. Everytime i wash a panel i rinse the mitt in the clean water bucket then mitt into the shampoo bucket and wash next panel. This way if any grit is on the mitt its rinsed and cleaned before it goes back on the car. I wash the wheels with a seperate mitt.

I then pressure wash the entire car, dry off using microfibre towels then apply a quick detailer or a wax depending on whats needed.

I find using this method great and when i actually wash the car its a doddle. Making sure the wax levels are always good so the water beads well and keeps the paint tip top!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Excellent mikeysix... I did the 12 months paint protection service with sonax last week with really grest results and today I am waitung fir the carnauba 99% wax service, wich lasts 2 or three months.
I will post pics later
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysix View Post
Im surprised no one uses the two bucket method and snow foam with there pressure washer.

Heres my method, 2 months in and not a swirl mark in sight.

Firstly i rinse the car off with a medium pressure of cold water, too much pressure will drive grit into the paint.

Then i apply snow foam all over the car, it dwells on each panel for 4-5 mins slowly running off the car lifting any dirt. To apply the snow foam you need a special attachment for the pressure washer and the actual foam itself.

I then rinse the car again with the pressure washer on high pressure this time and again apply another round of snow foam. At this stage i also spray on my wheel cleaner and adjitate with a brush on the alloys. Once ive been round the wheels i again pressure wash the whole car. At this stage the car is pretty spotless and ive not yet layed a wash mitt on it.

Now at this stage i use 2 buckets one with warm water too rinse the wash mitt in and the other with the shampoo to wash over the car. Everytime i wash a panel i rinse the mitt in the clean water bucket then mitt into the shampoo bucket and wash next panel. This way if any grit is on the mitt its rinsed and cleaned before it goes back on the car. I wash the wheels with a seperate mitt.

I then pressure wash the entire car, dry off using microfibre towels then apply a quick detailer or a wax depending on whats needed.

I find using this method great and when i actually wash the car its a doddle. Making sure the wax levels are always good so the water beads well and keeps the paint tip top!
Quite correct, this is the real deal and proper way of doing things.

The problem is the time it takes to do this! Also, I don't have a pressure cleaner, so snow foam is not an option for me. That's why I stick to the warm (actually, fairly hot) water and microfibre noodle mitt, making sure the mitt is clean at all times. Usually, I go through two buckets to keep the water clean, but I need to actually get a bucket with a grit-catcher/grid in the bottom to prevent crud from floating around.

Quick detailer/wax every time you wash? Where do you find the time?

BTW, how often do you clay? (I'm presuming you do, based on the effort in other areas?)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

Cool Carnauba service...

In the middle of carnauba wax service
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Quite correct, this is the real deal and proper way of doing things.

The problem is the time it takes to do this! Also, I don't have a pressure cleaner, so snow foam is not an option for me. That's why I stick to the warm (actually, fairly hot) water and microfibre noodle mitt, making sure the mitt is clean at all times. Usually, I go through two buckets to keep the water clean, but I need to actually get a bucket with a grit-catcher/grid in the bottom to prevent crud from floating around.

Quick detailer/wax every time you wash? Where do you find the time?

BTW, how often do you clay? (I'm presuming you do, based on the effort in other areas?)
I do clay mate but only on a as req basis. When the car was prepped for me buy the garage it was actually very good. Ive known guys to collect brand new cars and there already covered in swirls!!! I dont wax everytime it does take a bit of time to do it properly but ill generally everytime give it a quick spray on wax. Can nip round the car in no time because its liquid!
What i would say though is that if you can every few months put some time aside to give it a good clean and cleanse, seal the paint and wax, washing is a doddle. I have great fun with the snow foam too!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Quote:
Do you actually spray inside the engine bay? Isn't that bad for engine parts or alternators and stuff??

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
No problem, but of course carefully around electrical or other delicate parts.
      10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
German Engineering
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '10 E87 116d

Maybe this could be useful on how to wash your car properly:
Appreciate 0