BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 Cruise Control Retrofit

04-08-2023, 08:35 AM   #89
Jovan_Kolun
Registered
Serbia
Rep
Drives: BMW f20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJO View Post
It's nothing but an educated guess that one of the Sportline kombis from the around the same year will have the leds because, as you say, there is no way to know from the VO/options list.

My car had 249 in the list because it had the limiter and I added 544 during the coding.
Fair enough - thanks a lot!

I will send an update once I have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:39 AM   #90
M2UUG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i Sport F21 LCI

Garage List
Hi, does anyone have access to the PDF? I cannot view or download it for some reason
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:44 AM   #91
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2UUG View Post
Hi, does anyone have access to the PDF? I cannot view or download it for some reason
Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DIY Cruise Control F30 F20.pdf (1.25 MB, 93 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #92
M2UUG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i Sport F21 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Here it is.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #93
Dikkens
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Thanks for the tutorial, still lightly overwhelmed with the coding.
I just installed a new wheel instead of the limiter only wheel, I'm wondering if anyone could help code in the retrofit for a small fee via remote connection?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 06:40 AM   #94
Dikkens
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikkens View Post
Thanks for the tutorial, still lightly overwhelmed with the coding.
I just installed a new wheel instead of the limiter only wheel, I'm wondering if anyone could help code in the retrofit for a small fee via remote connection?
So I got cc working with fa code in esys.
But I need to do fdl coding as I want my limiter button not to work as cc set button. Is bimmerutility the best solution for this current day?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #95
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

You can get bimmerutility or esysultra. If you like I can do it for you remotely.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #96
Dikkens
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
You can get bimmerutility or esysultra. If you like I can do it for you remotely.
Cheers, might take you up on that!
I recently bought my f20, and prior to adding the VO code for cruisecontrol, i also had engine start/stop always off but that somehow is now again set to on.
Which makes me wonder, could i have reset other things? The engine has also been chipped/mapped for additional performance.

I only added 544 and coded FEM(Body), ICM and KOMBI.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:00 AM   #97
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I recently bought my f20, and prior to adding the VO code for cruisecontrol, i also had engine start/stop always off but that somehow is now again set to on.
Which makes me wonder, could i have reset other things? The engine has also been chipped/mapped for additional performance.

Start Stop is always activated if Eco-Pro mode is selected and even Bimmercode cannot stop it.

I haven't tried to disable it on my F20 and nothing changed after I coded the steering wheel buttons (544 only added to Salapa elements)

My MHD remap also didn't affect the SS.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/f20/
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #98
Dikkens
Rep

Quote:
Start Stop is always activated if Eco-Pro mode is selected and even Bimmercode cannot stop it.

I haven't tried to disable it on my F20 and nothing changed after I coded the steering wheel buttons (544 only added to Salapa elements)

My MHD remap also didn't affect the SS.

https://bimmercode.app/cars/f20/
Yeah also only added 544 to salapa elements, but i did write & "Read" modified FA from VCM.
Also it was prior so that it started in comfort mode with start/stop system off, set by the previous owner i presume.

Last edited by Dikkens; 05-08-2023 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:39 AM   #99
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

Quote:

if you ever fdl code something it will be reset when you vo code. Its best to note down what you coded then after vo coding you can restore the coding in the new coding file.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:39 AM   #100
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah also only added 544 to salapa elements, but i did write & "Read" modified FA from VCM.
Also it was prior so that it started in comfort mode with start/stop system off, set by the previous owner i presume.
I can't remember what I did other than follow the pdf in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #101
Dikkens
Rep

Quote:
if you ever fdl code something it will be reset when you vo code. Its best to note down what you coded then after vo coding you can restore the coding in the new coding file.
Thanks, yeah i wasn't aware if any vo/fdl coding was done prior to me purchasing, so it was tricky for me to figure those out.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #102
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

If you follow the thread it will work, whatever was deleted can be restore later by coding it back.
If something is missing after vo coding you can restore it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 05:14 AM   #103
muckz88
Rep
Drives: BMW 1Series F20 / Mercedes CLA

Hi All,

I have a F20 2014 116d diesel. Car reg S14 LCJ

I would like to add cruise control to my vehicle as I use it for work and cover a lot of miles.

My car has hill start assist and the steering wheel only has the ‘Lim’ button as standard. See image attached of current steering wheel and ‘soon to be replaced’ cluster.

The other 2 pictures attached show the new Steering wheel ive purchased and the 2nd hand digital cluster I am upgrading to.

I have been told I will need to virginise the Cluster before I can attach and code it in to my vehicle. As well as coding the Cruise control.

I plan on downlaoding E-Sys to do this but have read through these posts but am abit apprehensive about it as it seems fairly complex. Im fairly ok with this kinda stuff usually but so worried i’ll mess up my car in the process.

Does anyone have a simple step by step guide as to how I code the cruise control?

Also, any guides on how to virginise the cluster and code that in would also be really helpful? I thought it would be a straight up swap, plug and play jobbie, wasnt expecting to have to code this aswell 🤦🏾‍♂️

A few other questions I have:

-Do I need to purchase a license to use Esys for coding?
-Where can I download the latest version?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide 🙏🏾
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 10:00 AM   #104
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

If the cluster has less mileage than the vehicle then it might work by just coding.
You can use R270+ to erase mileage and change vin on eeprom.
Add 540 to fa and vo code to add cruise control, you might need to edit some fdl incase it bring error about the lin variant.
For most of the work you dont need a launcher, esys alone can do. You only need a launcher to edit fdl. PM me i can send you a copy of esys
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 04:44 AM   #105
BlueBill
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320

Hi, did it work? that sounds really cool. It sounds quite difficult to install?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #106
muckz88
Rep
Drives: BMW 1Series F20 / Mercedes CLA

Quote:
If the cluster has less mileage than the vehicle then it might work by just coding.
You can use R270+ to erase mileage and change vin on eeprom.
Add 540 to fa and vo code to add cruise control, you might need to edit some fdl incase it bring error about the lin variant.
For most of the work you dont need a launcher, esys alone can do. You only need a launcher to edit fdl. PM me i can send you a copy of esys
I had some time today so gave this a go..

I got as far as connecting my car to E-Sys then an error code popped up saying my PsdZdata folder is empty… have no idea what that even means!

Any ideas on where I can download it?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #107
TheNine90
Banned
Rep

You can find threads in this forum where you might get it
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 06:01 PM   #108
Jamz3k
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi could someone point me in the right direction for downloading Esys and Pszdzdata, I’ve just got myself an f21 m135i and looking to enable cruise control. I’ve already installed the switches.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 12:48 AM   #109
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz3k View Post
Hi could someone point me in the right direction for downloading Esys and Pszdzdata, I’ve just got myself an f21 m135i and looking to enable cruise control. I’ve already installed the switches.

Thanks in advance!
Bimmerfest has a specific forum where you can find what you need...

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/bm...ogramming.175/
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 02:52 AM   #110
JohnnyLyme
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

The steps I went through were:

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
For the physical install I used this guide.
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
which was surprisingly quick & I didn't break/rip anything )
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hope this helps someone, but post a message if you need any clarifications.

Hello guys, i'm in dispair. I bought a F20 from 2013 and i'm trying to retrofit Mfsw and Dcc. My car came without any of these two( simple straight steering wheel). I've managed to vo code 249 abd 544. Media buttons work, coded set button to act like lim button and is working( nor lim or cruise light lit up in dashboard). When i press cruise it shows " cruise control ready" and when i try to set the speed " cruise control faillure". Do you think flashing the bkombi and the dependents will help me? Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0