BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > $100,000 + Nyse = ??? (NSW)

02-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

When I played that game in early '09 I put it mostly in Baidu which is like a Chinese google. Not sure how they are now but my team finished second in the state. As others have said Apple would be a good bet now.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
When I played that game in early '09 I put it mostly in Baidu which is like a Chinese google. Not sure how they are now but my team finished second in the state. As others have said Apple would be a good bet now.
I remember that boom.

Vanity covered his bases. Be smart and remember that finance isnt an exact science despite what many especially those carrying their pitch forks in the news believe. Be clever, your teacher will award a well thought out clever plan more than he will someone he gets lucky.

It might be worth your while to check stocks out for companies that provide drilling gear or do refining. Check out Mitchem. the beta is a little higher than i would want but it will give you an idea of the industry and some of its trends.

In your final paper, be sure you justify everything you have done, as vanity said about the euro to dollar value, that would be good to include reasons why you DID NOT do something as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Most of the money has already been made on AAPL, at least in the short term. It took out the $500 barrier in short order after posting a blowout quarter never seen before. Even if it moves through $600, it's only 20% gain from these levels. There are going to be many stocks out there that gain much more than 20% and do so sooner than AAPL. Finding which ones will be the hard part. For example, BAC is up about 60% from its low and AAPL is only up about 33% during the same period.

AAPL was my best trade last year, but I wouldn't be itching to buy it at $505 unless you had a pretty long term horizon. Even then, the law of large numbers HAS to start playing a role in the stock and in the company. I could be wrong, but are you confident that in 5-10 years, AAPL will still be the leader in tech? Tech is so fragile that it's hard to say because the consumer is fickle. AAPL makes devices that are hot right now. Products come and go. I believe AAPL can be humbled as quickly as they rose to prominence.

BTW, AAPL is one of my favorite companies, but they are more susceptible to competition than some other leading companies who have been leaders for longer and have higher barriers to entry.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 02-19-2012 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Cheeserolling
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 Mazda B4000

Wow! Thanks once again for this info guys. And yes, I meant to say Tuesday. I realized we have school off tomorrow. Definitely I will ask my teacher about commodities for oil and such. I think I will look into companies such as Wrigley, McDonalds, Starbucks. Would something like Proctor and Gamble or Coca-Cola be a good choice? And then I should stay away from things such as airlines, General-Electric, construction, home-improvement, or anything that requires higher amounts of money for the average family? What about IBM, HP, or banks like JPMorgan or Bank of America?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I did the same project 3 semesters ago. Go with Apple. I did Apple, Verizon and AT&T. I did pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Cheeserolling
Registered
United_States
Rep

Actually we are buying in on Friday, sorry for the confusion. Teacher said no commodities/dividends. I will ask about keeping the 100k in the US dollar. So far I've come up with McDonalds, Walgreens, Walmart, and Mitcham. The oil shortage has interested me, too bad I cant go into commodities. Also, what about something like Amazon? How about beer companies? Spring/Summer will be around and having a drink seems like a cheap way to cool off.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #29
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeserolling View Post
Actually we are buying in on Friday, sorry for the confusion. Teacher said no commodities/dividends. I will ask about keeping the 100k in the US dollar. So far I've come up with McDonalds, Walgreens, Walmart, and Mitcham. The oil shortage has interested me, too bad I cant go into commodities. Also, what about something like Amazon? How about beer companies? Spring/Summer will be around and having a drink seems like a cheap way to cool off.
No dividend stocks? That seems really weird to just eliminate most of the Dow 30 like that
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
Cheeserolling
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
No dividend stocks? That seems really weird to just eliminate most of the Dow 30 like that
I meant that we can invest into stocks that provide dividends, but we will not collect the dividends.

and P.S. we're ending in June not May.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #31
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
100k$ on Apple. Safest bet you can do with this POS market. It is at 500$ now... by the end of May, the new MBP and iPad 3 will be revealed. Easily will be at minimum 525$/550$.
Don't forget the iPhone 5.....

I kick myself all the time for not buying as much as i could when it was $85 before the 3G phone. Had about $80k that i was looking to do something with at the time. Makes me feel nauseated at times.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-23-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
How about beer companies? Spring/Summer will be around and having a drink seems like a cheap way to cool off.
The market knows that those companies will have higher sales in those periods so that info is already priced in. If they beat estimates you could see a pop but higher revenue doesn't automatically translate into higher prices. Same with Apple, the market knows that new products are around the corner and are basing their valuations on pretty solid sales numbers.

You could make a case for defensive stocks but at the same time unemployment is falling, consumer confidence has been moving back up and the Euro debt crisis is coming closer to a resolution. Also, if you look at earnings, companies have been killing it but the market has still been relatively cautious, leading to the lowest P/E ratios we've seen in a long time.

Point being, you could make a good case either way. There's no right answer which is why your grade will come down to how well you can articulate your decisions, not your overall return number.

Just some things to think about...
      02-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Hoping you picked up P&G earlier this week. AAPL is overbought, avoid Nat Gas & Coal.
      02-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #34
HungHingHK
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
your are picking safe long term blue chips, this is not a investment strategy for 3 months. There will always be douchebags that put everything into penny stocks and get lucky. Not saying you should go penny (or maybe you should) but you gotta go a little more aggressive than that. Those are my grandma's stocks bro
      02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

dollar stores if you think the recession is going to remain.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #36
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungHingHK
Quote:
your are picking safe long term blue chips, this is not a investment strategy for 3 months. There will always be douchebags that put everything into penny stocks and get lucky. Not saying you should go penny (or maybe you should) but you gotta go a little more aggressive than that. Those are my grandma's stocks bro
I have to agree here. You're playing it a bit too safe and need to go more aggressive to get your percentage gains up.
Appreciate 0