BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > $15 / Hour for fast food workers... Opinions

09-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

$15 / Hour for fast food workers... Opinions

Since when has working at a fast food joint been an actual career option for people?

These jobs are for high school students, college students or those looking to make a little extra money. NOT to raise a family of 2 or 3 or 4!!! Get an education and better yourself, raising minimum wage to $15/hour is absurd and promotes laziness. I would understand $9 or maybe even $10 per hour but $15 is out of control.

http://news.msn.com/us/fast-food-wor...-for-wage-hike

Thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

There are temps on my plant floor that don't even get anywhere near $15/hr and are doing 10x the work anyone at McDonalds would ever do.

I personally think it's dumb. Raise the minimum wage to $15 and then what happens to the cost of goods? A $20 Big Mac?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

no comment..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
There are temps on my plant floor that don't even get anywhere near $15/hr and are doing 10x the work anyone at McDonalds would ever do.

I personally think it's dumb. Raise the minimum wage to $15 and then what happens to the cost of goods? A $20 Big Mac?
Please make the Big Mac $20. Perhaps less losers will buy them.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Could mean less spit in our food.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Since when has working at a fast food joint been an actual career option for people?

These jobs are for high school students, college students or those looking to make a little extra money. NOT to raise a family of 2 or 3 or 4!!! Get an education and better yourself, raising minimum wage to $15/hour is absurd and promotes laziness. I would understand $9 or maybe even $10 per hour but $15 is out of control.

Thoughts...
Total fking agreement happening right here!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

1. If I get a job which pays 15/hr right now, I would be much well off than now. . With all the stuff I am doing, I will be living more comfortably, and I can most likely buy the damn C63amg (BS/REG/507) far faster than scheduled.

2. 15/hr bureaucrat law will fail. I sure am not going to pay $15 for Chipotle burritos. (when change in wage is perfect elastic to change in price).

3. It will drive out markets, Walmart, etc out of the city limit. Mom and pop stores will mainly hire their kids at 15/hr. That will equal to less sales tax, and crappier service from small business owner's kid.
(small owner's kid is just an opinion. who know the service may get better)
      09-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

$15/hour is ridiculous. I understand raising minimum wage but $15/hour? come on.
Here's a good article on why it's a good idea:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ers-got-raises
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Bad idea, current low wage people will be replaced by machines, young people will not have 'first jobs' people will become 'career' fast food workers, but there will only be one or two people in the store because many things will be automated.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post

Thoughts...
Since when parents determined it was their responsibility to pay for their kids college. More than half the kids in college aren't required to work at all. Those that do are in college so they can get higher quality job.

Don't get me wrong, i agree. Fast food work should be a stepping stone job. But for many reasons, it's not so much anymore.

I personally would let them strike and hire all new employees. Those places are designed for high turnover rate and that would take care of any thoughts of that happening again.

I'm also all for the freedom to assemble. if they succeed, more power to them. But i think if they strike they'll be reminded that you need a skilled position to strike. Otherwise, you just get replaced.
      09-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
$15/hour is ridiculous. I understand raising minimum wage but $15/hour? come on.
Here's a good article on why it's a good idea:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ers-got-raises
i believe this just pertains to fast food workers. Not national Minimum Wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Bad idea, current low wage people will be replaced by machines, young people will not have 'first jobs' people will become 'career' fast food workers, but there will only be one or two people in the store because many things will be automated.
True that. Rich people are rich because they think differently. They'll find a way to lower costs and that will likely come from employing fewer people.
      09-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
i believe this just pertains to fast food workers. Not national Minimum Wage.
I was trying to say, although poorly, was that fast food workers make at or close to minimum wage, right? So by raising the minimum wage by a dollar or two would be fine and that would there by affect the hourly rate these folks get. But to raise it to $15 an hour for the FF workers is a no for me.
The link I posted talks specifically about the fast food demographic.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I was employee (as an invitee) from franchisee for a day at Wendy's.
It was without pay, but at that time, I was very interested in how fast food operate. After working there for 2hour at non-traffic hour, I realized there are sooooo many crap to do. I physically couldn't handle after 5th hour. I still went on.

Even walking on the floor was a challenge. It was so slippery to even move around the cash register area. (some employee said it will be better if I buy a non-slippery shoes).

Do they deserve more money than $7.50/hr? SURE WHY NOT!
Do they deserve 15/hr?? HECK NO!
      09-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

McD's isn't the place to earn a "living wage" as stated above. IF you want to raise a family, you and the wife will probably need a edumacation/job.

The Dakotas are paying something like 25-30/hr to work at McD's at least until the black gold runs out.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The problem w America is exactly outlined in this thread...

1) a person doesn't work, has kids and gets benefits makes say enough to afford housing and their kids

2) a person works at mickey'ds and wants $15 an hr w 0 education

3) a physical therapy assistant with maybe 2 yrs of post high school graduation makes $27 / hr easy pretty much anywhere

4) a person w an 4 year bachelors in business from a reputable school barely makes $30 in an extremely expensive area

That my friend is why this country is on a downhill course... the proprtions are seriously fucked.
      09-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

I wonder what a McManager would make?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I was trying to say, although poorly, was that fast food workers make at or close to minimum wage, right? So by raising the minimum wage by a dollar or two would be fine and that would there by affect the hourly rate these folks get. But to raise it to $15 an hour for the FF workers is a no for me.
The link I posted talks specifically about the fast food demographic.
I hear ya. I personally think we need a fast food revolution in this country. For health reasons alone.

I will back the employers no matter what their decision. But i hope they don't cave to the pressure.
      09-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I wonder what a McManager would make?
I'm not sure, but it's a decent living. And that is one good thing about McDs is they hire from within for managerial positions. Nearly all of their executive positions are held by restaurant employees. They have wonderful benefits as well.

If you have no other career option. Work there, bust your ass, get recognized and they will promote you.
      09-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Im all for raising ff worker wages. if that drives the price up, then maybe the country will stop eating as much shitty food.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #21
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Guarantee people bitching about not making enough to live on have an xbox and cell phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

if this actually happens I'm going to apply there.

part time at $15/hr after work will result in quite a nice chunk of change do fun stuff with.
Appreciate 0