BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > $15 / Hour for fast food workers... Opinions

09-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #67
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim View Post
real job and then side job for fun money...

all about it lol
Yeah, Its sad that my real job takes so much out of me that I don't feel like even driving fun cars after work anyways. What I really need is 100X minimum wage and not having to work at all.....
      09-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #68
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devant View Post
Que?
The whole 'people should pick themselves up by their bootstraps' mantra without you giving them the tools to do it. Wages are low arcoss the board and need to go up -not to 15/hr but up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #69
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
Yeah, Its sad that my real job takes so much out of me that I don't feel like even driving fun cars after work anyways. What I really need is 100X minimum wage and not having to work at all.....
join the club man.

all my eggs are in the "win the lotto" basket because i have been applying for jobs to further my career, but haven't had so much as a call back in months.

might as well just work 2 part time jobs at $15/hr and quit the day job lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #70
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I just went to Mcdonald drive-thru and had a $1 small coffee.
What if that becomes $1.50 or even $2 after raising the wage rate to 15/hr?

Although I do like McDonald $1 coffee, it will change my mind to go to Starbucks Tall coffee with unlimited free refill (gold card).
      09-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #71
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Why don't we give them an extra dollar an hour and the rest in Tide detergent.?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #72
Devant
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Why don't we give them an extra dollar an hour and the rest in Tide detergent.?
I am still laughing about that. Tide is the new street cred. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #73
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
Get laid off, pump out a few babies with the Mrs. (if that applies, if not find a "ladyfriend") and you'll get paid to sit on your rear end all day.
      09-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #74
Devant
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Get laid off, pump out a few babies with the Mrs. (if that applies, if not find a "ladyfriend") and you'll get paid to sit on your rear end all day.
Is that how they do in the ghe-tto?

"Nevamind all that, where my check at"
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #75
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

here is some additional information about this whole $15 thing, I tend to believe this article. This more about unions than the people who work at FF joints. Also if union win this one this will allow them to drive up wages in other jobs as well. I come from a union family and I can tell you the people that run the unions only get pay increase if they can get their workers a raise, since your union dues are % of your wages you make.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fas...MW_latest_news

Last edited by Maestro; 09-10-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #76
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Unions are BAD because they don't allow a small group to exploit workers wages to protect their bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #77
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Unions are bad because they encourage and protect incompetence.

I dislike unions in general, I feel it makes it less about your skills and what you bring to the table and a lot more about your seniority...regardless of your skill.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #78
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

There is no way this will happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #79
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

If this passes, not only will plenty of people lose their jobs, but I can also imagine lots more will be made part-time workers in order for the companies to save on paying benefits and extra hours. This wage increase will not help the fast food workers as a whole. Sure, some will benefit, but it won't be good in the grand scheme of things.

At the same time, it would be nice if paying them more would also make them better employees. Those guys are not paid enough to care about washing their hands when they come out of the bathroom or prevent them from licking your taco shells. I'd like some assurance that these guys aren't spreading disease in the community. (yea, I went on a bit of a tangent)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #80
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

From my understanding, if they increase the wage to $15/hour, business's costs will go up, resulting in higher prices for consumers, meaning we end up back in the same boat as pre-increase. I'm no expert tho..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #81
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
From my understanding, if they increase the wage to $15/hour, business's costs will go up, resulting in higher prices for consumers, meaning we end up back in the same boat as pre-increase. I'm no expert tho..

I would not say it will not pass, you can look at it this way, it was way for the government to raise your taxes without showing up as tax deduction on your pay check. Most of these people live off the government and the government is hard press to keep raising our taxes only to give it to these people since everyone getting fed up with it.

So if they force minimum wage up then these people get off the government payroll so they government can spend that money elsewhere and say they did not raise you taxes. However, business cost increase and they pass it along to use so at the end of day you have less money to spend elsewhere and these workers get a higher pay check and pay more taxes to the government so they get to collect more taxes in the end.

When the Government looks at increasing wages like this they take into consideration how much more taxes they get to collect. That is part of the analysis they do.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #82
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Unions are bad because they encourage and protect incompetence.

I dislike unions in general, I feel it makes it less about your skills and what you bring to the table and a lot more about your seniority...regardless of your skill.
Union had their purpose and growing up in a city which had lots of union workers, you can see what they did. However, they had their place and it is time to move on. The problem is too many people are not interested in standing up for themselves and are too willing to blame the company for the bad things that happen to them. Most people are too lazy to go look for another job if the job they have sucks. I know employers who know that there are people who are more than willing to accept less and be abuse to keep a job so they treat them badly. Now if people would just say screw the job and go get another one then these bad employers will die off since no one will work for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #83
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Isn't this just a chain reaction to Seattle's recent $15/hr minimum wage spike?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #84
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Effing moronic... all this will do is hasten automation. Why pay $15/hr to a low skill worker when you can get a robot to do it without the complaints and you pay 1 person $15/hour to maintain them.

And Im not saying that it will happen overnight but businesses will seek options if costs of labor go up by double or they will simply shut down and go out of business.

The lesson is supposed to be don't go and make a fast-food job a career but these ppl don't seem to understand the concept of getting skills and moving on to better jobs. And if you are too dim-witted to learn new skills then that's their problem to deal with not everyone elses thru the rise in prices, we shouldn't have to subsidize dumb, we do it enough as it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #85
wuzupfoo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3; G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I would not say it will not pass, you can look at it this way, it was way for the government to raise your taxes without showing up as tax deduction on your pay check. Most of these people live off the government and the government is hard press to keep raising our taxes only to give it to these people since everyone getting fed up with it.

So if they force minimum wage up then these people get off the government payroll so they government can spend that money elsewhere and say they did not raise you taxes. However, business cost increase and they pass it along to use so at the end of day you have less money to spend elsewhere and these workers get a higher pay check and pay more taxes to the government so they get to collect more taxes in the end.

When the Government looks at increasing wages like this they take into consideration how much more taxes they get to collect. That is part of the analysis they do.
Yes not many understand there is a method to their madness.. however the real irony is that our president wants to end income inequality but keeps on letting the Fed institute policies that make the rich, richer. I don't understand why he doesn't get it. Raising min. wage will have a temporary effect of getting cash into the hands of the poor but longer term will ruin the incentive to start new businesses. You cant rob peter to pay paul without consequences..

Now I don't think that $7.25 is exactly fair at the moment but $15? really wtf! something more modest like $9 would be better considering the inflation that we have experienced.

Sorry I usually only lurk here but I was just having this debate at work with someone and I couldn't help vent.. lol.. btw Im no conservative hater though I guess I am a fiscal conservative... I actually voted for this guy, I figured he was lesser of two evils... sad horn...
Appreciate 0