BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Eco Pro drive is like driving a beached whale

05-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982 View Post
There's more to ECO PRO than just altering throttle response, it also alters gear box parameters, as well as making more economical use of onboard equipment such as air conditioning.

Using it on the motorway with cruise crontrol delivers a large amount of bonus blue miles, so there has to be more to it that just savings from the right foot, given once you are at cruising speed the throttle input is more or less the same (aside from the odd hill).

Before I comment further I do appreciate your posts on this subject. I go along with most of what you are saying, and being an mpg 'anorak' for more years than I like to remember, know a bit about driving for economy.

Yea, I know there is more to Eco-Pro than throttle sensitivity. But think about it, even gearbox strategy and use of climate control, it is all the stuff many of us have been adapting for years, to get the extra mpg out of a motor.

I've had 49.5 mpg out of my "pre ED" 330d auto touring, over 60 miles of mixed driving, without driving slow, just applying what a lot of this Eco-Pro programming is doing. What I'm saying, it is a reminder to many drivers what can be achieved with a little restraint.

The 328i I tested, I drove as I drive my 330d in normal driving, was well over 40mpg, but did try Eco-Pro on A roads and dual carriageway. Yes it does add to the mpg, but I could have got virtually the same driving in a eco friendly manner anyway. But without that awful throttle feel. Yes it did indicate I'd gained a few miles, but the driving mode was more subdued, simply on how I was going along with the Eco-Pro system.

Personally I will use it when I get a 328i auto touring, every little helps.

This is what I recorded after an 80 mile test drive, over M-way, dual and mixed A road driving, and through congested villages. Plenty of acceleration, driving with the flow and typical of my normal style. (MPH average wasn't my trip only, forgot to set it before I started the drive).

BTW... that's from an F30 328i, so hope your smaller 1-series petrol cars bring in much better mpg results.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
Koalway Kid
Koalway Kid 69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D Sport (f20)

Garage List
average 61.5mpg on eco pro over 177 miles but it does feel like you're towing a caravan.
Attached Images

120D Sport (F20) Bk Sapphire/Coral Red/Piano trim/Sport Seats/18” 385 wheels/ Sport 8 speed step auto/Park Assist/Internet/Office/3D Nav/DAB radio/ Harmon Kardon/M Sport suspension/Anthracite headlining/ Driver comfort package/Interior comfort package/ Visibility package/Sun protection package/BMW Pro Media package/Variable m sport steering/PDC
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
so hope your smaller 1-series petrol cars bring in much better mpg results.
HighlandPete
indeed they do, on a similar journey i'd be very dissapointed with less than 46.

Quote:
being an mpg 'anorak' for more years than I like to remember, know a bit about driving for economy.
HighlandPete
Fair play. I have only recently started to drive for economy (mostly due to ever increasing petrol prices!). Its possibly fair to say that i am someone who stands to gain more out of ECO PRO, as it trains me to drive more economically.

I think the vast majority of people (such as me) never change anything to do with the gear box, and if they do, they can't apply changes at the touch of a button in the cabin as you can when you switch down from sport. Even for mpg aficionados that's a useful thing?

Now ive been using it a while, I really don't feel like ECO PRO gives me an 'awful throttle feel'. I understand why you say that because at first i thought the same, but once i got used to it and began to understand it more, it feels more normal. It also makes you really appreciate what you can get out of driving in sport when you do get the chance to use it.

ECO PRO is never going to be a silver bullet for fuel economy, especially as a lot of variables are outside of the car or driver's control, but to most people who are trying to get some economy out, its a good feature to have, i'm a fan of it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalway Kid View Post
average 61.5mpg on eco pro over 177 miles but it does feel like you're towing a caravan.
I would hope so in the diesel. Some of us were getting over 60mpg from Passat B5 TDi's back in the late 1990's. I have averaged 69mpg in a 1998 110TDI from the West Highlands to Warwick Services, driving the speed limits, without any eco features.

You'll have to do better than low 60's.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #27
Koalway Kid
Koalway Kid 69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D Sport (f20)

Garage List
Quote:
I would hope so in the diesel. Some of us were getting over 60mpg from Passat B5 TDi's back in the late 1990's. I have averaged 69mpg in a 1998 110TDI from the West Highlands to Warwick Services, driving the speed limits, without any eco features.

You'll have to do better than low 60's.

HighlandPete
That was my 1st run on a wet and very stormy day... it's basically doing what the BMW spec suggests.... but i'm planning a trip to cornwall soon and hope to get high 60's... still not bad for 184bhp
120D Sport (F20) Bk Sapphire/Coral Red/Piano trim/Sport Seats/18” 385 wheels/ Sport 8 speed step auto/Park Assist/Internet/Office/3D Nav/DAB radio/ Harmon Kardon/M Sport suspension/Anthracite headlining/ Driver comfort package/Interior comfort package/ Visibility package/Sun protection package/BMW Pro Media package/Variable m sport steering/PDC
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalway Kid View Post
That was my 1st run on a wet and very stormy day... it's basically doing what the BMW spec suggests.... but i'm planning a trip to cornwall soon and hope to get high 60's... still not bad for 184bhp
Yes seriously, getting over 60mpg is an excellent result. Shows how far BMW have taken their motors.

As we know, many drivers will be reporting mid 40's for the 118d and 120d, but what you are returning shows just what is possible, and Eco-Pro is part of the package for getting top mpg.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have only recently started to drive for economy (mostly due to ever increasing petrol prices!). Its possibly fair to say that i am someone who stands to gain more out of ECO PRO, as it trains me to drive more economically.

I think the vast majority of people (such as me) never change anything to do with the gear box, and if they do, they can't apply changes at the touch of a button in the cabin as you can when you switch down from sport. Even for mpg aficionados that's a useful thing?

Now ive been using it a while, I really don't feel like ECO PRO gives me an 'awful throttle feel'. I understand why you say that because at first i thought the same, but once i got used to it and began to understand it more, it feels more normal. It also makes you really appreciate what you can get out of driving in sport when you do get the chance to use it.

ECO PRO is never going to be a silver bullet for fuel economy, especially as a lot of variables are outside of the car or driver's control, but to most people who are trying to get some economy out, its a good feature to have, i'm a fan of it.
Good points again.

Personally I don't like the 'elastic' dull feel of the throttle in Eco-Pro. I like a constant and pretty tight throttle response in any vehicle. Plus being used to a 330d and previously a 540i (V8 4.4-litre), instant response is normal, but highly controllable. Even for cruising, where I've never found cruise control more economical than feathering the throttle.

I do believe BMW have made massive strides in getting driver awareness in their ED featured cars, now they are in a very clever way educating drivers on how economy can be achieved, by giving options.

The industry knows that driver education and training is the best way to improve mpg efficiency, well documented in studies.

Clearly BMW are on the education path. They speak in some data of giving driver feedback and recommendations on driving style. All very subtle really, but key to getting more mpg.

Quote:
In addition, ECO PRO tips and a fuel consumption history display help the driver to drive as efficiently as possible. The reward: the bonus range, in other words the additional kilometres that the driver gains by driving more economically.
Sort of sets up a personal competition, the desire to get "more miles" bonus.

I'm sure it will also help drivers to really understand that speed costs heavy on fuel economy. Gets away from the often quoted opinion. "My car does the same mpg, however I drive it" nonsense.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #30
nickdpp
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
I've had 66 miles more out of a full tank using ECO.
very amazing figure, i think the result depends on the traffic, 66 miles mean 100 km, it's really a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #31
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdpp View Post
very amazing figure, i think the result depends on the traffic, 66 miles mean 100 km, it's really a lot
Traffic, Type of Road, Outside Temp.

The 66 figure came from a run down the M1 motorway from Bradford to Silverstone and back. I've no idea what MPGs i got out of the single seater open wheel racing car i was driving at silverstone though. lol.

On average 30 to 35 blue bones miles is to be expected from my 116i.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #32
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Why even buy a BMW if you your going to drive it like a nanny.

I hate sloppy steering which Eco Pro has so I never use Eco Pro.
      06-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #33
RiczPT
Rep
Drives: F21 118d

ECO PRO is fine most of the time in daily routines. However, i've had bad experiences like in overtakes and getting in on the highway because I expected more power delivery.

It's good for mpgs, because most of the time it's a challegnge to get as much of bonus miles as possible!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #34
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

+1 on the whale breaching. Eco Pro is not possible to use with the traffic I navigate - if I/the car hesitate I loose.

Eco Pro will save you nothing at constant speed over Comfort - except by turning down the AC for you a bit.
      06-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #35
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Eco Pro is Fab

In my opinion, Eco Pro is marvellous, brilliant in fact....it takes all the economy oriented, dynamics inhibiting, freude am fahren (joy of driving) limiting, reasons-for-buying-the-car destroying set points and collects them all together into a single button push that you can assiduously avoid using for the lifetime of the car.

At best Eco Pro will save you a couple of miles per gallon, while frustrating the hell out you by providing all the dynamics of a 1996 518 with worn piston rings and leaking valves.

In Eco Pro you essentially waste the £25 - £38,000 you spent on your car in order to save 1/10,000th of that at each visit to the fuel pump.

Driving 10,000 miles per year, a 5mpg improvement will net you about £150 p.a savings or 0.5% of the average purchase price. Eco Pro literally ruins the responsiveness of a BMW and is there to fulfil government rules and regulations. Eco Pro completely negates the reason for buying a BMW. As I said at the beginning, what makes it brilliant is that all those performance destroying set points are collected together in 1 button that you don't need push....leaving the rest of the car's performance pristine and a joy to use
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:24 AM   #36
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
In my opinion, Eco Pro is marvellous, brilliant in fact....it takes all the economy oriented, dynamics inhibiting, freude am fahren (joy of driving) limiting, reasons-for-buying-the-car destroying set points and collects them all together into a single button push that you can assiduously avoid using for the lifetime of the car.

At best Eco Pro will save you a couple of miles per gallon, while frustrating the hell out you by providing all the dynamics of a 1996 518 with worn piston rings and leaking valves.

In Eco Pro you essentially waste the £25 - £38,000 you spent on your car in order to save 1/10,000th of that at each visit to the fuel pump.

Driving 10,000 miles per year, a 5mpg improvement will net you about £150 p.a savings or 0.5% of the average purchase price. Eco Pro literally ruins the responsiveness of a BMW and is there to fulfil government rules and regulations. Eco Pro completely negates the reason for buying a BMW. As I said at the beginning, what makes it brilliant is that all those performance destroying set points are collected together in 1 button that you don't need push....leaving the rest of the car's performance pristine and a joy to use
Agree.

I cannot believe how paranoid are some people over saving a miserable dollar with a miserable preforming car in Eco Pro.
      06-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #37
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The thing is that Eco Pro makes the car cheaper to buy in the first place, since the car scores better in the official test for CO2 emissions. During daily driving I see no point in using it. I hardly use Sport or Sport+ either. It is mostly Comfort or DSC Off for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #38
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

These short distance/perfect condition results are worthless. Next time you fill up, reset and see what your REAL mpg will amount to. People doing long highway trips will obviously get better mpg.

My M135i also did 42mpg over 37miles - once...
      06-24-2015, 02:48 AM   #39
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

REALLY GUYS
If you want economy, you should have bought a Hyundai i10 or something like it.
Why do we buy BMW. To drive a BMW. It should only come in Sport and Sport+ modes.
The only reason BMW had to put the Eco mode in was to get the Co2 emissions under the threshold and get the lowest MPG/L per 100k for the green tick. The past few models from BMW were fairly ordinary (M excluded)when it can to driver enjoyment.
Finally BMW saw the light and gave us these new engines and drive trains. So lets enjoy them.
Don't get me wrong, the choice is up to you, but given the heritage, I think the Mode switch should be left in Sport.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #40
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
Don't get me wrong, the choice is up to you, but given the heritage, I think the Mode switch should be left in Sport.
In our F20, the only thing that changes in Sport, is the throttle mapping, and I find it better in Comfort. You only have half the pedal in Sport, and it makes it less precise. The performance is just as good in Comfort, and you have more control over the car. And for fun driving, you want DSC Off, which leaves the throttle mapping in Comfort anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #41
abdustherese
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 120d M Sport

New member here. This is an interesting discussion. I experimented, on my daily commute, between eco pro and comfort driving at the speed limit, and noted a difference of around 5mpg average over the journey.

I don't mind the throttle response on eco pro so much as it tends to provide enough power for most situations. Comfort puts the car on par to most other cars on the road. Although, I have a 120d so the throttle mapping and response would be different.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #42
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In our F20, the only thing that changes in Sport, is the throttle mapping, and I find it better in Comfort. You only have half the pedal in Sport, and it makes it less precise. The performance is just as good in Comfort, and you have more control over the car. And for fun driving, you want DSC Off, which leaves the throttle mapping in Comfort anyway.
In the M135i you can program the various buttons. If you have adaptive suspension you can combine Comfort and Sport for Throttle, Damping and Steering, so you can do tight chassis with relaxed throttle, relaxed chassis with more responsive throttle etc. It also changes the shift points of the 8 speed, holding onto gears longer and shifting down more quickly.
My favourite for backroads was responsive throttle and gearbox combined with Comfort chassis to absorb the bumps and give a degree of roll to let the tyres weight up nicely.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #43
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In the M135i you can program the various buttons. If you have adaptive suspension you can combine Comfort and Sport for Throttle, Damping and Steering, so you can do tight chassis with relaxed throttle, relaxed chassis with more responsive throttle etc. It also changes the shift points of the 8 speed, holding onto gears longer and shifting down more quickly.
My favourite for backroads was responsive throttle and gearbox combined with Comfort chassis to absorb the bumps and give a degree of roll to let the tyres weight up nicely.
Tight Chassis? Ooh err!!

Great thread you've started Kiwi!

For me I am enjoying putting our current car through the 4 driving modes we have - for me Eco Pro has its place when in traffic and tootling round the back roads with no time constraints - it's great that BMW have dedicated such effort to make it easier to save some money and the planet in the process! Although I have to admit HighlandPete is right - you can get almost the same effect by simply modulating the right slipper more effectively!!

Also - I'm talking about an X5 M50d in Eco Pro - I'd imagine a 116i in Eco pro would be a different proposition and not the best model for the feature...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:01 AM   #44
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs View Post
Tight Chassis? Ooh err!!

Great thread you've started Kiwi!

For me I am enjoying putting our current car through the 4 driving modes we have - for me Eco Pro has its place when in traffic and tootling round the back roads with no time constraints - it's great that BMW have dedicated such effort to make it easier to save some money and the planet in the process! Although I have to admit HighlandPete is right - you can get almost the same effect by simply modulating the right slipper more effectively!!

Also - I'm talking about an X5 M50d in Eco Pro - I'd imagine a 116i in Eco pro would be a different proposition and not the best model for the feature...
My 116i was in the shop today and I had a new 320d m sport for a couple of days. I have to say I tried Eco Pro and Comfort but had to drive in sport as the 3 is a heavy car when corning. I absolutely enjoyed being back in my 116i today.
I'll be driving our 220i over the weekend.