BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 3 Door F20 has limited markets?

09-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
UAEBMW
Rep
Drives: M135i

HasanK, both Dubai and Abu Dhabi don't seem to know much about about the 3 door. All the cars they have ordered are 5 - doors.

I checked Abu Dhabi Pricing and it comes in almost identical to your one for the same spec (has every option ticked including heated seats! Like we need them here!). This also includes 5 years / 100,000 km warranty and service package including break pads and discs. Registration etc included also.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #24
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

ahh ... cheers mate! Thanks for the post. I couldn't get a 5 year warranty, he told me that they're out and I can only get the regular 3 year warranty in KSA
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #25
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanK View Post
ahh ... cheers mate! Thanks for the post. I couldn't get a 5 year warranty, he told me that they're out and I can only get the regular 3 year warranty in KSA
Thats not true. I made the salesman show me the details of the service / warranty pack and its valid internationally.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #26
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj

Thats not true. I made the salesman show me the details of the service / warranty pack and its valid internationally.
My dealer in KSA told me he can't give me a 5 year warranty. I don't know if he's just playing hard to get or he's actually telling the truth.

I think I'm not gonna order it locally since its the same price. How far along in the ordering process are you?
      09-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

The BMW international warrantee is 3 years/100,000 with and extended 3 year available only during the last year of the warrantee (at a cost) but you must have the car serviced by BMW. Currently BMW is offering 3 year free servicing including brake pads (not rotors) here. It was also available in UAE
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
The BMW international warrantee is 3 years/100,000 with and extended 3 year available only during the last year of the warrantee (at a cost) but you must have the car serviced by BMW. Currently BMW is offering 3 year free servicing including brake pads (not rotors) here. It was also available in UAE
They seem to have different info here. I also assumed it was 3 years / 100km warranty.

Both AD and Dubai said its 2 years warranty. The cars that are arriving here next month both have extended packages with them from the beginning.

Dubai has a white one coming in next month with 3 years warranty and service package not inclusive of brakes.

Abu Dhabi has the 5 year all inclusive package for warranty / servicing (incl pads and discs) which is valid internationally.

@HasanK, im jsut finalising the numbers and trying to get the best deal possible and I should be ready to put the deposit down in about a week.

What colour was it that you are interested in? AD has 4 - 5 cars coming in White, Blue and Black all with the same spec. (4 - 5 in total).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj

They seem to have different info here. I also assumed it was 3 years / 100km warranty.

Both AD and Dubai said its 2 years warranty. The cars that are arriving here next month both have extended packages with them from the beginning.

Dubai has a white one coming in next month with 3 years warranty and service package not inclusive of brakes.

Abu Dhabi has the 5 year all inclusive package for warranty / servicing (incl pads and discs) which is valid internationally.

@HasanK, im jsut finalising the numbers and trying to get the best deal possible and I should be ready to put the deposit down in about a week.

What colour was it that you are interested in? AD has 4 - 5 cars coming in White, Blue and Black all with the same spec. (4 - 5 in total).
Well I'm going for a bold color combo: estriol blue with the coral red interior, the superman combo as its commonly called. I doubt they'd bring one with that combo.

I'm done specifying my specs, just have to go to the dealer and pay the downpayment. Most likely Monday or Tuesday! Fingers crossed
      09-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #30
UAEBMW
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm going for a bold color combo: estriol blue with the coral red interior, the superman combo as its commonly called. I doubt they'd bring one with that combo.

I'm done specifying my specs, just have to go to the dealer and pay the downpayment. Most likely Monday or Tuesday! Fingers crossed
HasanK. Im not 100% sure but when i glanced at the AD order list of cars arriving, I am pretty sure they all had a coral red interior incl the 2 Estoril Blue ones on there. Ill be calling the guys there later today I can ask for you.

You have to remember this is the UAE you got all sorts of specs here in terms of colour! Pink RR Phantom around somewhere so don't think you are to out of the ordinary!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #31
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj View Post
HasanK. Im not 100% sure but when i glanced at the AD order list of cars arriving, I am pretty sure they all had a coral red interior incl the 2 Estoril Blue ones on there. Ill be calling the guys there later today I can ask for you.

You have to remember this is the UAE you got all sorts of specs here in terms of colour! Pink RR Phantom around somewhere so don't think you are to out of the ordinary!
Zj, thanks a lot for the help but I don't want to make you go out of your way. I'm content with the 5 door in KSA now, it's the solution with less hassle and most peace of mind. I really appreciate your help it's good to know that humanity still exists!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #32
omohat
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I just stumbled across this post as I'm in the process of trying to order an M135i from the BMW dealer in Qatar. Same story as you guys - first they said it wasn't available but after a lot of badgering they're grudgingly agreeing to order one for me but insist on screwing me in the process. They won't even confirm a price to me saying it will depend on exchange rates when the car arrives - all they'll give me is a range. It looks like I'll be paying around 225000 QR for the following spec:

Estoril blue
Oyster Leather
Sports auto
Adaptive M running gear
Variable sport steering
Comfort access
Interior and exterior mirror with anti dazzling
Folding mirror
Fineline wood trim
Silver oxide trim finisher
Headlight washer
PDC front and rear
Rain sensor w/auto headlights
Xenon lights
Business speaker upgrade
Connectivity with Bluetooth and USB devices
Black Panel
3 years servicing (not sure whether it includes pads/discs)

Pretty poor compared to the deal you're getting in Saudi but I don't really have any other options here. Plus ever since I had to sell my 130i prematurely to move out here, I've been hankering after another fast 1er and the m135i definitely ticks that box. Plus it will be the only one in the country which is kind of neat.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Well I've been in the process of ordering one since September 24th and only given a confirmation date for production last week (March 11 production week).

As for the 3-door vs. 5-door, I honestly do not understand their reluctance to order one. My M135i will be the first one, therefore there is no standard that the dealer has, and even more, they didn't know the car existed until I asked them about it.

As for the price, they told me the same thing, the final price will depend on the exchange rate at delivery. That's quite standard when they're ordering a car for you.

I'm happy for you that you actually got the 3-door. I gave up and opted to go for the 5 door since it's more practical (albeit without the frameless doors ). All in all, I don't think I'll be disappointed when it arrives, I more than made up for my disappointment with the options list!
      02-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
I'm happy for you that you actually got the 3-door. I gave up and opted to go for the 5 door since it's more practical (albeit without the frameless doors ). All in all, I don't think I'll be disappointed when it arrives, I more than made up for my disappointment with the options list!
You like frameless doors?
The door frames was one of our main reasons for going for the 5 door F20.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #35
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I'm still young (23) and hence the "cool" factor of frameless doors has always appealed to me. But, it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Why did you opt for the frames over the frameless?
      02-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Why did you opt for the frames over the frameless?
I don't like the feature where the windows go in and out of the gasket automatically when opening and closing the door. It tends to fail in icy conditions. I also think the frame makes the doors (and thus the car body) more rigid.

In warm climates, it is probably working well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
Math
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I also think the frame makes the doors (and thus the car body) more rigid.
I dont know about that, while the door may be more rigid with the frame, the F21 may be more rigid overall due to less openings in the whole bodywork.. Don't you think?

I choose a 3-doors for my new car aswell, after driving 3 years with a 5-door e87. Like Hassan, I find it nicer looking and 'cool'
Also, not having childeren yet probably makes it less important having 5 doors..

2012 - BMW F21 116D ED

Please check my amazing car rental website at http://www.bscc.eu!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #38
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math View Post
I dont know about that, while the door may be more rigid with the frame, the F21 may be more rigid overall due to less openings in the whole bodywork.. Don't you think?
No, I don't think so. The B-pillar is further back in the F21. I have seen numbers for torsional rigidity for the E30 and E36 in 2 and 4 door versions. The E30 sedan is stiffer than the coupe, but the coupe is 20 kg lighter. In the E36, they added reinforcements to the coupe, so they have the same weight and rigidity between the coupe and sedan.

The F20/21 have the same weight, so I guess BMW is still adding extra reinforcements to the F21 to make up for the long doors.

The rear seats are quite imporant for overall rigidity. Selecting 40/20/40 foldable seats will hurt the rigidity somewhat.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
omohat
Rep

Quote:
Sorry - should have been clearer. I went for the 5 door since I've got a small kid and it's definitely easier loading her into a 5 door than 3 door (like my current Scirocco). Didn't even ask about the 3 door.

Quote:
Well I've been in the process of ordering one since September 24th and only given a confirmation date for production last week (March 11 production week).
Was this because you asked for production to be delayed for the new iDrive or just because production was backlogged? I was hoping to get mine before the end of summer but now I'm not so sure.

Quote:
As for the price, they told me the same thing, the final price will depend on the exchange rate at delivery. That's quite standard when they're ordering a car for you.
It's a scary way of ordering a car. The price they've told me is the upper limit and it's a bit eye watering. Plus this is the first car I've ordered without a test drive to add to the feeling of riskiness.

Quote:
My M135i will be the first one, therefore there is no standard that the dealer has, and even more, they didn't know the car existed until I asked them about it.
Mine will be the first one in the country as well and like you the dealer had no idea it existed. It took me four months to find a sales person who was willing to order one for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omohat View Post
Was this because you asked for production to be delayed for the new iDrive or just because production was backlogged? I was hoping to get mine before the end of summer but now I'm not so sure.
When I placed the deposit at the end of September, they were aiming for December delivery, but then they told me that they had no quota for the car so I had to wait. They gave me the option of February or March production, and at that point I chose March for the new iDrive.

Quote:
It's a scary way of ordering a car. The price they've told me is the upper limit and it's a bit eye watering. Plus this is the first car I've ordered without a test drive to add to the feeling of riskiness.
I'm in the same boat as you on this, but from the reviews that I have read, written by people who's opinion I regard highly, along with the performance figures and the reviews of the people here on the forum, I don't think either of us has anything to worry about.

Quote:
Mine will be the first one in the country as well and like you the dealer had no idea it existed. It took me four months to find a sales person who was willing to order one for me.
Same here. I was dealing with a regular sales person originally, I kept following with him when they were going to release a price/open a spot for a month. Then my brother had a speak with the manager in the showroom by chance, the next day I gave him a call and within an hour I had a rough price range. From now on, I won't deal with sales people, the manager is where the business is at.
      02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

For tall or large people:

The 3-doors has more shoulder room, because the b-pillar is more backwards.

In a 5-door, I felt confined and restrained, and my shoulders were pressed against the b-pillar. In a 3-door, I didn't have this problem.

I read on the German 1-series forum that a lot of tall people choose the 3-door just for this.
(I'm like 1m96, or 6 foot 5 inch)

I drove with an E92 with frameless door for 4 years, and never had a problem. But winters in Belgium are not as harsh as in Norway I suppose. We get like -10 °C here. No issue with that with the frameless door.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #42
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
I drove with an E92 with frameless door for 4 years, and never had a problem. But winters in Belgium are not as harsh as in Norway I suppose. We get like -10 °C here. No issue with that with the frameless door.
The temperature itself is not the problem. Ice is. When the windows is frozen stuck in gasket, the motors will eventually fail. It has happened to quite a few BMW owners I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #43
omohat
Rep

Just a quick update to give an idea of timelines for anyone thinking of ordering an M135i in the GCC. I placed my order Feb 24 with the dealer but still haven't got a build date. The dealer seems to think they'll get a May build date with late July delivery but frankly that doesn't seem to be based on any real evidence just wishful thinking as far as I can see.

Will be calling them back next week to inquire again about a build date. Needless to say a sizeable deposit has already been sucked out of my bank account
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #44
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep

I feel ya, I placed my order in September and I still didn't get my car. It should have been built though and on it's way to its home

The service in GCC sucks. I had to hassle them for a price, and then for a delivery date and even on the list of options. That's what happens when you have a single dealer for BMW, customer satisfaction is thrown in the bin.

I really want to complain to BMW headquarters when I get the car, but I don't know if they'll listen. :/ *sigh*