BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any photographers in San Diego? will pay

09-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #111
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Don't think people are saying a cell phone is going to outperform a digital camera... Think it's more that he's thinking of dropping a grand+ on a camera that he will probably use half a dozen times...

Besides, have you seen the stats on a 7+ ? I'm not sure the average joe would maximize the capabilities of that...
The 7+ camera definitely seems impressive on paper, and probably will perform as well in real life too. Definitely overkill for 90% of the people who will buy it.

smoosh definitely has a thing for photography. He's maxing out on his iPhone 6S. Upgrading to an 7+ or Note 7 will definitely improve his photo game...but no where near as much a proper camera would.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #112
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

All I'm saying, If he's looking for a improvement in quality, a nice camera will do a lot more for him than his phone. He shouldn't be worried about only getting a small improvement in quality.

That said, it's a lot of money. If that's an issue, I'd wait it out for now.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #113
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

are there phone apps that allow for manual settings or at least control of shutter speed?
      09-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #114
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think there are two main steps up from a phone camera for portrait use. The first one is to be able to control the depth of field and field of view with the focal length and aperture used. Wide angle lenses that phones are equipped with make faces look distorted and fat so a phone is not the ideal choice for portraits.

There are a lot of capable compact cameras with large sensors, large apertures and zoom lenses out there but they are not as satisfying from a creative point of view as a DSLR.

The next level would give the ability to actually see your subject through the lens of the camera (DSLR), from a creative point of view they are light years ahead of point and shoot cameras where you hold the camera in front of you. You have much more control of framing your subject and choosing your focal point with a DSLR, for instance focusing on the eyes. Of course DSLRs are heavy and the lenses aren't cheap. I generally don't travel with my DSLR, I use it on days when I'm going out on a serious photo shoot.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #115
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
are there phone apps that allow for manual settings or at least control of shutter speed?
http://shootmanual.co

I have it... it's alright.

There's also...
http://iphonephotographyschool.com/i...mera-controls/
      09-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #116
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think there are two main steps up from a phone camera for portrait use. The first one is to be able to control the depth of field and field of view with the focal length and aperture used. Wide angle lenses that phones are equipped with make faces look distorted and fat so a phone is not the ideal choice for portraits.

There are a lot of capable compact cameras with large sensors, large apertures and zoom lenses out there but they are not as satisfying from a creative point of view as a DSLR.

The next level would give the ability to actually see your subject through the lens of the camera (DSLR), from a creative point of view they are light years ahead of point and shoot cameras where you hold the camera in front of you. You have much more control of framing your subject and choosing your focal point with a DSLR, for instance focusing on the eyes. Of course DSLRs are heavy and the lenses aren't cheap. I generally don't travel with my DSLR, I use it on days when I'm going out on a serious photo shoot.
The new tele lens on the 7+ could fix a lot of distortion that people are probably used to seeing these days.

I usually travel with my 3 lenses, body, tripod, laptop, external flash, remotes, etc... It's a heavy carry on for sure. I usually fill a day bag with clothes and pack it in my suitcase so i have a smaller day back pack for camera usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Thank you.
      09-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #117
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Moment Cam for iOS is nice for manual controls.

A7R is on my list. Just waiting for the price to fall more.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #118
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
The new tele lens on the 7+ could fix a lot of distortion that people are probably used to seeing these days.
I just checked the 7+ out. I read that the depth of field feature won't be available at launch but should come out later with a software update. If I read it correctly the effect is accomplished with software combining the image from two lenses. I'm curious to see how it pans out.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00