BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > CPO Warranty Transfer Issues

10-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

CPO Warranty Transfer Issues

I bought a CPO Warrantied car and the previous owner is refusing to fill out the warranty transfer paperwork. The previous owner is very dishonest and simply a jerk. He misrepresented the car and that he would do the paperwork after the purchase.

Question is, what do I do now? BMWNA states that they need him to sign the paperwork or they won't transfer the warranty. This is complete BS as I paid a lot more than the car is worth to have the CPO Warranty.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Research past post (or e-mail) Steve Lehto (Lehto Law) at the Jalopnik web site.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Research past post (or e-mail) Steve Lehto (Lehto Law) at the Jalopnik web site.

Thank you. Will do. Other suggestions welcomed. Anyone else caught in this predicament?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

So not only is he refusing to transfer the CPO warranty, there are other issues with the vehicle you bought? Sorry you're going through this. Let's hope this gets sorted out soon.

Why would he promise to fill out the paperwork, and then not do it? What's his reasoning behind this?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
So not only is he refusing to transfer the CPO warranty, there are other issues with the vehicle you bought? Sorry you're going through this. Let's hope this gets sorted out soon.

Why would he promise to fill out the paperwork, and then not do it? What's his reasoning behind this?
Thanks for the sympathy. What should be a joyous purchase is really turning into a very frustrating one. He didn't tell me a lot about the car (things squeaking, etc. that are all covered under the CPO warranty) and the car smells like a wet dog. I bought it from out of state and trusted the seller. Bought many cars online and via phone before so I know what to look for.

This time though, the seller was a sociopath. I think he likes to lie and derives pleasure from seeing others suffer. In any case, I just want the CPO warranty that I paid extra for. Any ideas how to get it transferred if the previous owner refuses to sign the transfer form?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Thanks for the sympathy. What should be a joyous purchase is really turning into a very frustrating one. He didn't tell me a lot about the car (things squeaking, etc. that are all covered under the CPO warranty) and the car smells like a wet dog. I bought it from out of state and trusted the seller. Bought many cars online and via phone before so I know what to look for.

This time though, the seller was a sociopath. I think he likes to lie and derives pleasure from seeing others suffer. In any case, I just want the CPO warranty that I paid extra for. Any ideas how to get it transferred if the previous owner refuses to sign the transfer form?
Did you buy a car from HRC?

Sorry about the experience but the wet dog smell make me worry that it was involved in a flood.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaghave View Post
Did you buy a car from HRC?

Sorry about the experience but the wet dog smell make me worry that it was involved in a flood.
Not sure what HRC is, so no, I didn't get it from there.

The car is mechanically, electronically, and cosmetically perfect. California car...they don't even have water there . I think he's just a stinky man or maybe he did own a smelly dog! But all that is forgiven if I can just get the CPO to transfer now.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

That definitely sounds extremely frustrating. Hopefully you have a lot of these things in writing, so that it's apparent that what you received it very different from what was represented. I know it's too late now, but I had a local forum member check out the X5 I was buying since it was out of state also.

Did you buy it from a private seller, or from a independently owned small dealership?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what HRC is, so no, I didn't get it from there.

The car is mechanically, electronically, and cosmetically perfect. California car...they don't even have water there . I think he's just a stinky man or maybe he did own a smelly dog! But all that is forgiven if I can just get the CPO to transfer now.
Is the car still under factory warranty and it just has CPO warranty? I remember when I had my 2011 X5, it was CPO also and I bought it from an Audi dealership and I never had to transfer anything. It just came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

does the paperwork have to be notarized?
      10-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #11
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
I bought a CPO Warrantied car and the previous owner is refusing to fill out the warranty transfer paperwork. The previous owner is very dishonest and simply a jerk. He misrepresented the car and that he would do the paperwork after the purchase.

Question is, what do I do now? BMWNA states that they need him to sign the paperwork or they won't transfer the warranty. This is complete BS as I paid a lot more than the car is worth to have the CPO Warranty.

Thanks.
You haven't provided enough information here. Was the car certified before or after January 1, 2014?
      10-20-2016, 10:43 PM   #12
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
You haven't provided enough information here. Was the car certified before or after January 1, 2014?
The regular warranty expired a few month ago. The CPO warranty is supposed to expire in 2018. It was certified in 2015. The form for the CPO warranty has to be notarized and signed by the seller and the buyer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
The regular warranty expired a few month ago. The CPO warranty is supposed to expire in 2018. It was certified in 2015. The form for the CPO warranty has to be notarized and signed by the seller and the buyer.
The bottom line is that nobody on this forum will be able to fix this situation for you. If you and the seller can't work it out (well within 60 days of the vehicle sale), then contact BMW North America and see what they can do about waiving the seller's signature if you pay the transfer fee. The seller's signature seems like a pointlessly onerous requirement anyway.
      10-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post

Simple, he has his money and probably could care less.

I think OP just learned a valuable lesson. Don't hand over the cash until you get everything you are supposed to in the deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

I never had the CPO warranty transferred over to my name when I purchased from private seller. I called the dealer and told them the car is under my name and they needed to transfer it over so I can bring it in for service. Second time the SA mentioned I needed it transferred over thru BMW NA. I called BMW NA, gave them my name and information.. that was it.. Never filled out anything.
2011 BSP 335is- FOR SALE
2018 YMB M3- Current
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

PM me your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #17
tec333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
PM me your VIN.
Can you help with warranty transfer? I bought CPO but it was CPO'd after 01/14...and I bought it from non-BMW dealer 😩
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:

Thanks.
Small claims court for cost of CPO. Of course you need to do this in California though.

Btw, CPO does not handle squeaks. Notice wind or body noises are excluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
That is 100% incorrect which any BMW Dealer can tell you if you do not believe Internet forums.

A simple reading of the CPO Brochure states:

What is not covered

Upkeep items: Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; lters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Wear and use: All wear-and-use items as defined in “The Certifed Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program Consumer Information Statement” for Certifed Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).

Body and interior: Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, door and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Accessories: Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.
Appreciate 0