BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 1st Recall F20 116i Sport

03-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
cedchung
Lieutenant
Mauritius
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25, 2014 F30

Is it vibration or the rev bouncing up and down on cold starts?
Mine does that sometimes :/
      03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #24
playmobilboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 118i sport

To be more specific, when I do a cold start, the rev is about 1500rpm, engine at that time is quite noisy and I can feel some vibration in the cabin, it will go better if I turn off the ac (dunno why it must be on when starts up), it's further better after few mins when the engine get warmer, about 800rpm
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #25
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmobilboy View Post
To be more specific, when I do a cold start, the rev is about 1500rpm, engine at that time is quite noisy and I can feel some vibration in the cabin, it will go better if I turn off the ac (dunno why it must be on when starts up), it's further better after few mins when the engine get warmer, about 800rpm
I get exactly the same with mine, it annoyed me a bit at first (having been used to my previous car being a Renault Megane which was *very* quiet at idle), but now I'm imagining that it's the monster under the bonnet which needs to wake up

Generally, I find the engine to have quite a beat at idle, when parking in tight spots in closed areas you definitely notice that it almost sounds a little like a diesel. It's not a criticism, just an observation. The performance is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
Smileysteve
England
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Urban

I took my F20 120D Urban in to the dealers this week for one or two issues to be looked at and they said they had a couple of extra things to do fitting your descriptions. But the reprogramming didn't work, apparently it killed the blower and they are also waiting for a new ECU (I have now found out the correct technical name is the IHKA control unit) to be delivered from Germany. So I will be without my car for at least a week. I now have a hire car provided by BMW Customer Service for the next six days after already having a courtesy car for two days. So I am being looked after by BMW under the circumstance.
I have never taken a car in for work and it ending up being in a worst state than it started in lol
I was experiencing whistling from the blower in certain settings and mainly from cold start.
The turbo also whistles excessively for the first minute or so from cold, but I have been advised that is normal.
The other problem I have is discomfort from the half leather seat due to in my opinion poor trim design, but I think I will start a new thread for that.

Last edited by Smileysteve; 04-03-2012 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Technical clarification of the problem
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Smileysteve
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
hmm I haven't been contacted either but I think my car could use that aircon-fix. The fan goes high/low sometimes for no reason, is that the issue you guys have aswell? also have an annoying whistling sound when the air blows out the vents at the windscreen anyone else got that?
I experience the same issue as you - the whistling! Hopefully the new blower and ECU and re-programme will sort it out
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
= RX2 =
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Taiwan 118i not yet notified about this recall but we did have a recall about the AUTO-OFF feature which once u release your brakes on green light, the car will move forward like a rocket...... ~~"
      03-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
= RX2 =
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
I get exactly the same with mine, it annoyed me a bit at first (having been used to my previous car being a Renault Megane which was *very* quiet at idle), but now I'm imagining that it's the monster under the bonnet which needs to wake up

Generally, I find the engine to have quite a beat at idle, when parking in tight spots in closed areas you definitely notice that it almost sounds a little like a diesel. It's not a criticism, just an observation. The performance is worth it!

Same here, all the F20 from our Taiwan club experiencing the same noisy cold start. However, after 3min or so, when the RPM drops to normal, the engine gets a little quieter thou~

I checked on youtube and seems that the COOPER S has the same problem on their N18!

04-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #30
Smileysteve
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
hmm I haven't been contacted either but I think my car could use that aircon-fix. The fan goes high/low sometimes for no reason, is that the issue you guys have aswell? also have an annoying whistling sound when the air blows out the vents at the windscreen anyone else got that?
Do you have the ventilation set to auto? If so I think the fan may vary speed automatically around the actual speed setting you have. So if you have the fan setting to low it may go a little higher but not as high as if the setting was set to high (only my thoughts about this as mine does the same). I have the whistling issue from the windscreen vents but it goes away when the cab has warmed up. I hope the aircon fix will solve it but I will have to wait and see when I collect my car later today.
Appreciate 0