BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Never let your dealer polish your car

12-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

but... but... they ruined your paint!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
I have now spoken to BMW UK who are looking into it.

As for the cost to make good its not a clear case as the £500 includes materials and labour to add a sealant to the paintwork after...

And of course we're assuming that the detail work can actually reduce the colour difference between bumper and panel.

Only time will tell what happens from.here
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

fancy naming and shaming?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #26
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
fancy naming and shaming?
Yeah, would be nice to know where to avoid

I used to insist that the VW garage didnt wash my car when it went in; after the first time it came back with identical swirl marks to what you have all over your B pillar. Then i noticed they had a carwash out the back of the dealership that they ran all the cars through post-service. I never had any bodywork damage, but it wasnt worth the risk after that. I wonder if they have one of those automatic carwashes at the dealership that caused the damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #27
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Yeah, would be nice to know where to avoid

I used to insist that the VW garage didnt wash my car when it went in; after the first time it came back with identical swirl marks to what you have all over your B pillar. Then i noticed they had a carwash out the back of the dealership that they ran all the cars through post-service. I never had any bodywork damage, but it wasnt worth the risk after that. I wonder if they have one of those automatic carwashes at the dealership that caused the damage?
Actually - when you mention it: A colleague of mine with an X5 told me to be careful and not to run my car through an automatic car carwash because of the high gloss shadowline B-pillars. A buddy of his had done that on his X5, and the B pillar looked exactly like on the pictures here - covered with swirls marks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #28
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well it appears that BMW UK are just about as useless as the Dealer is on this one :roll:

I've had to call them 3 times now to find out what is happening, each time they have promised to call me back they've not bothered.

Basically comes down to it that BMW UK don't care about the shite service that I've been given by a dealership and had marked the call as 'Resolved' without even giving me a call back..

This may well be the last BMW I purchase
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Well at least you have the right to complain to the dealer and you can sue them and BMW uk with them if they do not put the car back to initial condition.
Did you complain to your insurance to let them put the pressure on the dealer?
In my case my wife wanted to spare some water (too costy obviously) when she helped me to wash the car.
Now I have scratches on the clear coat on the full car, and on black it is really obvious.
Few cents of water saving for few hundred euros of paint repair... I can not sue her or even complain too much
Going to try some polishing by myself when the good weather is back... If it does not work then I will go to a professional.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w
Well it appears that BMW UK are just about as useless as the Dealer is on this one :roll:

I've had to call them 3 times now to find out what is happening, each time they have promised to call me back they've not bothered.

Basically comes down to it that BMW UK don't care about the shite service that I've been given by a dealership and had marked the call as 'Resolved' without even giving me a call back..

Sorry to hear about this unacceptable service, i have been reading through your actions and have not seen any instance of where you have contacted the dealer principle.

I have had a few issues and nothing done by the actual dealer or bmw uk but seemed to have got some sort of customer service from the dealer principle. Cant say it was amazing but a step up from the norm.

You can phone your dealer and obtain an email or phone for the delaer principle and if they dont then phone bmw uk and tell them your dealer wont give the details and see if they can give you the details and then contact the dealer principle directly.

Hope this may help u :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #31
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I've spoken to the Dealer Principle, that's how the £200 'goodwill' payment came about.

Think I'm going to have to wait for the Insurance Assessor to have a look and make a decision on what to do
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #32
Bmwfourlife
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 1 series 116D Sport

What is the justification for the 200 pounds goodwill?

The incident was caused by the dealership workforce via no influence from yourself.

The scratches were the direct result of te dealership workforce cleaning your car.

I dont see how or why you should be held responsible for that even partially.

Have you spoken to any governing body? Im not sure who this would be actually.

Personally i would not be happy with the response and advise them that your willing to persue the matter until the vehicle is fully repaired and even write a full review on the dealership website etc etc
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #33
pron
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post

Who are you talking to at BMW UK? If you have problems reaching the right person you should write a letter or e-mail with all the information relevant to your case.

I had a case here in Norway, and after one call to to BMW Norway the case was solved. But I insisted to talk with a person rather high up in the system. I hope you can have this solved in a good way for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
Stan 24v
320hp!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i AW

Speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau and get some professional advice mate. That is NOT acceptable!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #35
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

if it cost 500 to put right they must pay 500 and then offer you a gesture of goodwill...polished by machine and cheep untrained labour..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #36
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well the Insurance Assessor came on Thursday, he took a brief look and agreed that it was not acceptable. He has advised me to take it to the only BMW dealership in the South East to have its own in-house Approved Bodyshop.

I went to see them yesterday, they advised that it is their policy not to do remedial work but as I purchased my car from them they would 'look into it', but couldn't promise anything.

The man there also said that they have the man from BMW UK HQ visiting on the 17th and has suggested that I meet up with him, which sounds promising.

I've also got a quote from a 3rd party for the work, so we'll see how it compares.

Also an interesting one; On the original bill & estimate the original bodyshop quoted time and materials to respray the rear bumper and fuel filler cap - both of which had not been touched with any paint until it went back the second time... Tut tut tut!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #37
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Good luck budy keep us informed of how you get on
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #38
Mickcasey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2.18i F22

its not deep you can fix it via proffessional hands...
Appreciate 0