BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Panhandlers

06-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #67
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

To Lups: there are TONS of homeless bums in Europe. Go to London, Brussels, Paris, any of the large cities. Gyppos and other types everywhere. And all very aggressive. But the worst I've seen so far is in San Francisco, where they will literally accost you. I was dressed nice one evening, and was walking from my hotel to my boss' hotel so we get dinner. Black guy starts walking next to me, assuring me he doesn't want money but just warning me "where to walk at night and where it's dangerous". I appreciated that, and thanked him, but he kept walking with me, complementing me on my clothes, and my watch. He finally ask me for money (even though at first he said he wasn't going to ask for money). When I said I had none, he got pissed and said "OK, let's go the ATM together then". I said NO WAY CHIEF, I'm not going to the ATM. Then he told me to go and buy him a sandwich at a deli. Needless to say, when he started becoming aggressive, I ducked into the nearest hotel until he left, haha...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #68
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
$600K in the Houston area will get you 3900sqft on the water: http://search.har.com/engine/228-Jef...AR24559429.htm

or 5000sqft with a backyard that looks like a resort with pool, outdoor kitchen: http://search.har.com/engine/13811-V...AR36280817.htm
got all the way to the last picture when I saw the HUGE POWER LINES that almost go over the back yard.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #69
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

I've been approached by kids before, most recently at the grocery store. Kid was maybe 6 years old, I thought he was going to ask me about my car (but then I thought, its a 128, nobody cares about a 128), and then said "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, what is it lil' pimp"

"Do you possibly have $22 you could give me and mom?"

"I possibly do not"

Seriously? Using your child to solicit money from people?

Teach them to beg at a young age so they can grow up to be a professional.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #70
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Here's my story:

*walking out of a Subway with sandwich and drink in hand*

Lady: "Excuse me sir, but I am broke and I need money for food."

Me: "Well I'm sorry but I don't have any cash on me..."

Lady: "Well there is an ATM over there if you'd be willing to, I really need food. I'm thirsty too."

Me: "I'm not going to the ATM, but if you are really in need you can have my drink and sandwich."

Lady: "Uh... no... no that won't do. I need money... to uh... feed... my uh... kid. My kid can't eat that."

Me: "Sorry I can't help you..."

Do something a little unexpected and most of these scam artists run out of bullshit fast. After I started to pull away, I saw her scan the lot and then hop into a relatively newer model and well kept Honda Accord... and there was no kid in the car that I could see.
      06-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #71
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Check this out:

And this one is just plain clean since he's owes up to it...

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #72
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

So what happen to these people when no one carries cash on them. I person have little to no cash on me most days, I do all transactions via CC these days. I would not surprise me to see some of these beggers with an Obama phone and a Square CC reader so they can take CC donation.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #73
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Scammer: Hey man, can you spare me a couple dollars? I ran out of gas and I just need a little gas money to start it back up.

Me: Oh sorry dude that sucks. Where did you run out?

Scammer: Uhhh just right down the road.

Me: There are no gas stations around here. Need a lift?

Scammer: Nah I’m good. Just a couple bucks and I’ll be on my way.

Me: No really, there’s nothing within 6 miles

Scammer: Walks away

I saw this guy coming a mile away. Figured I’ll have some fun with it.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #74
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #75
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I had a couple ask me for money for a train ticket to a town that is not serviced by train.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #76
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
So what happen to these people when no one carries cash on them. I person have little to no cash on me most days, I do all transactions via CC these days. I would not surprise me to see some of these beggers with an Obama phone and a Square CC reader so they can take CC donation.
For years my defense was "all I have is a card" but they've gotten wise to that and now if you say that they'll ask you to buy them something or go to the ATM. Some of them hang out right next to ATMs so they see you get the money, and how much you got.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #77
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The other day I saw a crack-whore in the elevator in my condo building. Obviously still high too...she had the big eyes and meth mouth thing going on. How she got in my building, I don't know but she was holding some cash in her hand. I'm assuming she just "got paid".
I had just come back from Wendy's. and she asked me "Are you hungry...Will you take me to Wendy's?"
Um, no. I was just there....
"Ok" she says. "Can I have a french fry."
No...no you can't have a fry.

What a strange experience. I'm not sure if that qualifies as panhandling but it seems to be along the same lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #78
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
The other day I saw a crack-whore in the elevator in my condo building. Obviously still high too...she had the big eyes and meth mouth thing going on. How she got in my building, I don't know but she was holding some cash in her hand. I'm assuming she just "got paid".
I had just come back from Wendy's. and she asked me "Are you hungry...Will you take me to Wendy's?"
Um, no. I was just there....
"Ok" she says. "Can I have a french fry."
No...no you can't have a fry.

What a strange experience. I'm not sure if that qualifies as panhandling but it seems to be along the same lines.
I don't know man. Sounds like she was hitting on you. Crack whores need lovin too. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #79
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011CrazE89 View Post
I don't know man. Sounds like she was hitting on you. Crack whores need lovin too. Lol
haha not my type...I'll pass
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #80
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I just escalate on them right away. Loud voice, eye contact, try to sound like Samuel L. Jackson.

...except for poor little crack whores who ask for a fry. Nobody could be that mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #81
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

The panhandlers in SF are the worst. We go up quite often, 5 or so times a year, and every time they get new and inventive ways, the hassling you until you break down for blocks is a relatively new one. I've learned to just ignore them.
However several trips ago there was comic convention in town, this guys comes up to us all distressed and an open gash on his head, said he lives in San Jose was at the convention, has a business card etc. and got mugged. Needs train fair back to San Jose. So we think ok has a gash, looked like he had been rolled, dishelved pants dirty in spots etc. we give him $10 for BART and proceed down Geary. Then I think crap left my phone in the room he hustle it back to the St Francis, get my phone, whip around the corner by the SF Art Exchange and there's the guy running the same scam on someone. We yell over at him Hey you just asked us for $10, the other person pulls their money back and walks away he flips us off and continues down to his victim. He was good.
Most just bother you and bother you asking for cash for a block or two, then go back, they do this for hours, except stay away from hotels and restaurants so no one complains. They are out there day and night rain or shine.
Seen a ton of intresting ways to make money there, last time in March there was a girl dancing in her sport bra and esentially panties in Union Square for cash, some were close to lap dances, cops just hustled her along to some where else.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #82
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Zero sympathy for panhandlers.
I worked at the gas station, and I've seen all. I assure you this. They are NOT going to buy food or feed the kids with that money.

If you really want to help the poor, volunteer/donate at the food bank or soup kitchen for homeless.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #83
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Same story around here. Bums need money for food. I just got a hot pizza and offered the entire thing to them. Of course they didn't want it just wanted money.

Outside a restaurant recently, had my first experience with a crack head. He just rambled on and on then finally actually touched me. Owner came out and then he scurried off.
I've made it a habit now to start carrying more. Probably would have taken the entire mag to take down that crack head.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #84
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Same story around here. Bums need money for food. I just got a hot pizza and offered the entire thing to them. Of course they didn't want it just wanted money.

Outside a restaurant recently, had my first experience with a crack head. He just rambled on and on then finally actually touched me. Owner came out and then he scurried off.
I've made it a habit now to start carrying more. Probably would have taken the entire mag to take down that crack head.
I knew what you were talking about!
Fox labs works great too on crackheads.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #85
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post

My friend was the bouncer type that grew up in the projects. He told me that one panhandler asked him for $5 for food. My friend said how about $10? So he went into a McD's and ordered the guy one of those meals back in the day when there was a super-sized. As they were walking out, the guy said what am I supposed to do with this? My friend said you asked for it, and now you're going to eat it. The guy tried to get away and so my friend started pounding him. he then told the guy to eat it. The guy started sobbing, pissed in his pants, and said all he wanted was some money for drugs. my friend didn't care and beat him some more. Told him next time he begs for food money, he better eat the food when he gets it.

Personally I'm not sure I'm capable of beating someone when they're down (I am capable of beating someone fair and square), but these schemes are pretty elaborate, where even a normal person starts to wonder if they're for real or not. How about the one where the guy is well dressed, shows you his wallet, says he needs cash for a tow and will give you his license and credit cards and you can keep them until he mails you back the cash you give him? Yeah, right.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #86
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good story!

Help homeless= buy them food, donate $ to soup kitchen, shelter
Support drug/alcohol addiction= give them $$$

Well, the bum was trespassing on the PRIVATE CLUB property. Upon panhandling in the private property, your friend was nice enough to give him food. Then the crazy drug addict guy was acting up.....

"MORAL HAZARD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My friend was the bouncer type that grew up in the projects. He told me that one panhandler asked him for $5 for food. My friend said how about $10? So he went into a McD's and ordered the guy one of those meals back in the day when there was a super-sized. As they were walking out, the guy said what am I supposed to do with this? My friend said you asked for it, and now you're going to eat it. The guy tried to get away and so my friend started pounding him. he then told the guy to eat it. The guy started sobbing, pissed in his pants, and said all he wanted was some money for drugs. my friend didn't care and beat him some more. Told him next time he begs for food money, he better eat the food when he gets it.

Personally I'm not sure I'm capable of beating someone when they're down (I am capable of beating someone fair and square), but these schemes are pretty elaborate, where even a normal person starts to wonder if they're for real or not. How about the one where the guy is well dressed, shows you his wallet, says he needs cash for a tow and will give you his license and credit cards and you can keep them until he mails you back the cash you give him? Yeah, right.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #87
SOL3MATiiCKK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11" SG 135i M

I work in Palo Alto, CA and there's this disabled 23 year old kid in a wheel chair who panhandles and brags about making on average $800 a day tax free because he gives a sob story to make people feel sorry for him.
      06-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #88
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
For years my defense was "all I have is a card" but they've gotten wise to that and now if you say that they'll ask you to buy them something or go to the ATM. Some of them hang out right next to ATMs so they see you get the money, and how much you got.
Seeing that reminded me of this guy (sorry, too lazy to rewrite it from my FB):
https://www.facebook.com/m3ister/pos...52195529529619
September 15, 2013 · Chino Hills, CA ·
What a world we live in...
So, a homeless guy approaches my car as I stepped in and already started the engine, but gives a long-winded sob story. I didn't have any cash on me and felt bad enough to get $ from a nearby ATM, but realized I left my card in the car. As I was walking back to get it, before I can even say why, he said "the hell's the matter you f**king idiot?" then I said, "I was thinking of giving you $5 bucks once I got my card, but you blew it... The hell's the matter with YOU for talking to me that way, [air quote] 'f**king idiot'?"

Then another time I don't know whether to thank him or feel bad for being of a better financial status (despite only having an 8 year-old E90), but when I rejected someone that saw me step to my car, I heard him say something like "you rich motherf**kers are so f**king stingy... [trailing off, unintelligible]".
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0