BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New owners: What do you like, what do you hate?

02-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 120d Sport-line

New owners: What do you like, what do you hate?

OK, so I took delivery of my F20 120d nearly two weeks ago now, and I'm sure a bunch of others out there are getting theirs too. So what do you like, and what are the problems you have with it?

I like: this is silly, but I get a stupid grin on my face every-time I use the cruise control. That extra little needle on the speedo that lights up green or amber, indicating the current set speed. Completely useless, as the info display tells you the same thing, but it's cool.

I love: the engine. Am still running it in, and trying to keep the revs down, but I love the torque at low revs, and can't wait to give it a proper go.

I don't like: that the instruments are not all visible through the steering-wheel. Either the instruments are too big, or the wheel is too small, but it's not possible to position the wheel so that I can see both the top and the bottom of the display.

I've gotten used to: the wing mirrors. A lot bigger than on the old 1 series, I thought they looked like mickey-mouse ears. But after a couple of weeks, they don't seem that big any more...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

I like the cruisecontroll aswell, nicely informative/clean. The engine is very nice, good performance through all the way up to 4500rpm, very nice for a diesel! Sport-seats and hifi-system is great. Overall-all comfort, stabililty and noiselevels are all thumbs up.

what I don't like; feels like the xenonlights don't throw far enough... also I'm not impressed by the antispin that is not compatible with nordic tyres, must be turned off or you'r driving in a death-trap, also it fucks upp the cruisecontroll. If you resume the cruisecontrol and the car start accelerating, the cruisecontroll is quickly dis-engaged because the antispin recognise a non-existing wheelspin.
also the manual gearbox has caused some swearing, probably cause it's brand-new and therefore stiff, and some cold -20C degrees-nights didn't made it any smoother About 3 times in one month I ended up in reverse-gear instead of first gear =S bear in mind I've driven two different (manual) bmw-models for years, NEVER EVER have I by mistake ended up in reverse instead of 1st, only in the f20, and the positioning of the gears are obviously exactly the same on all cars. Or maybe they aren't, as the gear-changing-reflexes I've worked up over the years are not compatible with this gearbox maybe the "blocker"you have to pass to get to reverse is softer on this one or something.

The issue is probably because my previous cars were old and well-used, hence the gearboxes had became smooth and destinct, I'm sure this one will be aswell.

last thing to whine about is the PDC. I only have PDC-rear, so when I back up to something it beeps/display the distance to the object, that's great, but why the f*ck doesn't it stop beeping when I'm done with the parking, car is stopped and the gearlever is set to neutral? annoying

mostly minor stuff, but still think it's poor and I can't understand how some of the flaws can be there... kind of flaws that shouldn't exist in a car supposed to be premium.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep

Oh yes, the way the cruise control doesn't disengage as you change gears has taken some getting used to. I was used to changing down, and having the car slow down. Now if you change down, the car then accelerates back up to its previous speed!

My gearbox feels kinda clunky going into 6th, but I'm not sure if that's it, or me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
dominiek006
Rep
Drives: f20 120d sport black saphire

I'am very happy with almost everyting... The engine is superb, fuel economy also for a car with 184 bhp. I love the sport seats and driving position. And i like the looks of it with its 379 alloys, black sapphire outside and black inside. I"am still learning a lot off the pro sat nav and its toys. Today i discovered i can speak to the car! Didn"t know that wass possible. The only thing that"s anoying is the noiselevel at highway speed compared to my previous E39 525d. (rolling noise, not engine noise) And i"am not blown away from the hifi system. Still in doubt if i shouldn"t have gone for the sportauto.

But overall, i"m very happy with the car so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

I love this car! And the HIFI option is just amazing.

Wish I got electric seats, just too much adjustments for 2 drivers.
I hate having the idrive screen and no gps....wish I could have unspeccd it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Mickcasey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2.18i F22

Back side look like polo rest of amazing
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
dominiek006
Rep
Drives: f20 120d sport black saphire

My neighbour has a polo and next to my 1er the polo looks as a car for my grandma...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

i like:

- superb compromise between comfort and handling
- steering precise with feedback
- amazing automatic gearbox
- 118d plenty of torque, responsive and low consumption

i don't like

- not a good looking car (no xenon) not appealing
- cabin too serious, boring design
- disappointing harman kardon, but option is affordable
- instruments hidden behind wheel
- diesel too noisy
- quality ok but not on par with german competitors, rattles, average leather

after 4 months i decided to trade it for the new series 3...good car, fabulous to drive and comfy but no waoo factor and somewhat boring inside and outside. at least resale value was good for my deal
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #9
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
I like everyhting about the car, except 2 things (up to now!):

1. Poor visibility of the low part of the instruments...actually I cannot see them at all! Big ergonomic foul from BMW.

2. The Professional Hi-Fi has very poor performance...almost identical to the normal one.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Doubleyou
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 116d F20

I like:
* sport seats which are superb
* very good handling & absolute driving fun
* looks & interior design
* low highway noise level

I don't like:
* stationary & low speed engine noise level
* unrefined start/stop system
* chassis (tyres?) can be a bit noisy on bad roads
      03-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Penders
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series (F20)

Garage List
Ok so 3 days in and 400 miles of driving...

I love:
- The Xenon lights with awesome halo's as day time running lights. I'll never tire of the startup sequence where they swivel around to calibrate. I also love the way all the lights come on when you unlock the car, including under the door handles. It looks the dogs b*ll*cks!
- The HK stereo! It doesn't distort with anything I've chucked at it, and with the right tunes the bass can thump.
- The whole look of the vehicle! Even the grump next door said it looked class!
- The ride, it doesn't fidget or tramline and soaks up the bumps. I've chucked it round plenty country roads and it eats them up.

Don't like:
- The bottom info display below the speedo's is difficult to see without dropping the steering wheel low.
- Reverse is stiff to get in place. The Mrs can't do it without grimacing and complaining.

So far I'm chuffed with the car and the two points above are nothing much to complain about. I know it's still the honeymoon phase, but I've driven loads of different cars and for me this is up with the best of them
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Likewise three days. First motorway journey today and some town driving.

Couldn't agree more with your comments on the xenon lights and all the other lighting. Won't tire from. Also greatly enamoured with the design of the car as a whole and in detail.

Opted for the 8 speed auto and it's excellent, huge difference in response when in Eco, comfort or sport.Most impressive in the latter setting.

The stop start works flawlessly but gets a little unsettling when constantly switching off and on in traffic. I'm sure will get used to it.

Love the mineral grey. Only regret is not speccing upgraded audio. Standard is ok for speech more than music, which is just as well in my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
downhill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i f20

I love almost everything about this car, yet I hate the yellowish daytime running lights! I'm changing the bulbs asap!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Matt T
Private
Germany
Rep

Concerning the visibility of the instruments, I've found that the car was delivered with the steering wheel set all the way forward, and that moving it towards me has greatly increased my view of the instruments.

But it's still a bit of a compromise, as I'm not sure that the wheel isn't now a bit too close...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
harrys
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i steptronic

I love this car but the idrive and usb support comes with many problems as it causes restarts of idrive and many problems. Hoping to a software update soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

Try updating your software here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

You need to enter your VIN number. This provides some updates for the usb interface such as support for the album cover display on the nav screen, bluetooth connectivity, etc. there is a detailed pdf description.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #17
Viva87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhill
I love almost everything about this car, yet I hate the yellowish daytime running lights! I'm changing the bulbs asap!
What can you change the to like a whiter bulb ?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #18
JR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f45 218i SE active tourer auto

I like almost everything, except not being able to turn off the daytime running lights ,I have a smallish garage and need to use mirrors [in the garage] to get the front end in,having an upwards sloping drive I can't see that well, I have to turn the side lights on to avoid the glare from the daytime running lights
Bob
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

118i Sport
Like:
Interior design looks high class and top of class build quality
Exterior design
Sport black trim
Fuel consumption in Econ mode
Ride quality
Responsive high rev acceleration in Sport mode
Big sunroof
Improved sitting space
Sport seats
Brilliant transmission

Dislike:
Limited rear visibility
Dull rear lights design, too POLO-like
Too many costly add on options
HiFi sound system not so impressive
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Gras
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i, Urban, Auto

I like:

- Looks In & Out.
- Engine, handling, RWD, Driving experience switch.
- Automatic gearbox is exceptional in all aspects.
- Extremely low cabin noise level.
- Sports variable steering is such a comfy gadget and at the same time very precise at Sport, Sport+ modes.
- Auto air con. You set the temp and you forget about its existance.
- Harman Kardon HiFi system sounds superb and worth every penny.
- Navigation system Professional is really the best around. At least as far as i have seen. Also the touch sensitive memory keys are a class of their own found only in premium home hifi systems such as those of B&O.
- iPhone Integration & PlugIn option. I don't have to worry about music collection in the car anymore.
- Interior ambient lights. Especially when you unlock the car and turns all blue(in Urban line).
- Quality materials.

I don't like:

- Im still thinking... Oh,
- the driver's small glove box is really small to store any leather gloves inside.
- mm..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Lluiset
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d Urban

Wonderful but.....

- Why PDC doesn't stop beeping when I have finished parking and gearlever is set to N?
- Why do I have hands-free system but not voice control, even having a "mouth" button in my steering wheel?
- Why is ACTIVE cruise control not available for F20?
- I do not have electronic folding mirrors, but why the profiles do not keep their position?
- Have any of you found the anti-collision system something useful?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #22
harrys
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: F20 116i steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lluiset View Post
Wonderful but.....

- Why PDC doesn't stop beeping when I have finished parking and gearlever is set to N?
- Why do I have hands-free system but not voice control, even having a "mouth" button in my steering wheel?
- Why is ACTIVE cruise control not available for F20?
- I do not have electronic folding mirrors, but why the profiles do not keep their position?
- Have any of you found the anti-collision system something useful?
I agree with active cruise control.
Appreciate 0