BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Intercoolers

09-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Intercoolers

What are you guys running and how did they fit? Any installations problems? Could you use the air scoop/shroud with them?

IC air scoop
Attached Images

09-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
I ran:
- stock
- forge
- wagner evo 1 comp
- atm
- wagner evo 2 comp

All fitted with the airscoop
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
I ran:
- stock
- forge
- wagner evo 1 comp
- atm
- wagner evo 2 comp

All fitted with the airscoop
Haha I might as well just have asked you directly. You have tried it all
The shroud does not fit with the ER IC, but how much cooling is lost on that account can only be a guess.
      09-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Haha I might as well just have asked you directly. You have tried it all
The shroud does not fit with the ER IC, but how much cooling is lost on that account can only be a guess.
Well the ER FMIC is quite big. Also the upper part does not get any direct cold air either. To me it's not a proper design. The Wagner EVO2 perfectly matches the size of fresh air coming in. Even the ATM, the last 2 rows don't get fresh air.

How much that impacts cooling not sure. The ATM cooled as good as the Wagner. I did not try - nor do i plan on trying - the ER fmic. Let me know how things go.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #5
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Ill go do some duty bias dial-in later today so will see how it does with a lot of back to back 4th gear pulls.
      09-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
Well the ER FMIC is quite big. Also the upper part does not get any direct cold air either. To me it's not a proper design. The Wagner EVO2 perfectly matches the size of fresh air coming in. Even the ATM, the last 2 rows don't get fresh air.

How much that impacts cooling not sure. The ATM cooled as good as the Wagner. I did not try - nor do i plan on trying - the ER fmic. Let me know how things go.
The opening from where the fresh air arrives should be a lot smaller than the intercooler. If they are the same size, the air turns back after bumping into the aluminium block that we call intercooler. When air turns back, new air cannot proceed to the intercooler.

The intercooler is not quite a solid block of metal though, and a certain percentage of the FMIC lets the air through it. Now, if the opening in the front of the intercooler is exactly as many percentages of the intercooler frontal area, as is the percentage of "holes" in FMIC through which the air travels, the cooling will be maximized and no air turns back to be as a ceiling for new fresh air.

All the direct flow air does not fit though the FMIC directly due to the solid parts of the FMIC and is pushed up (+down+sides). Ducts on the edges of the FMIC will force the air though the FMIC. Otherwise part of the air entering from the opening can still be lost if it gets around the FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

That might be the case but my new IC still lowered my IAT with +30°F without the shroud compared to stock.