BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Esc Off = Comfort Mode ???

06-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Esc Off = Comfort Mode ???

Here is a thing which bugs me all the time: whenever I turn OFF the ESC, I have a feeling that car is secretly switching to comfort mode, and it doesn’t matter if I turn it off on sport or sport+ mode. I can also see it when I select sport+ then hold ESC off, then the car is with full ESC, so then I’m changing the setup on drive select either up or down, it looks like it starts from comfort mode. (one down=eco pro, one up=sport, where first position was sport+)

Hope this makes sense, and that some off you can explain, or confirm this.

PS.
It’s a 125i with sport auto
      06-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think you mean DSC, not ESC. But you are unfortunately correct. DSC Off automagically selects Comfort Mode. :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

This car is pretty good staying at whatever mode you are in. I only switch it DSC OFF in SPORT+ and it stays there. The throttle responses should also confirm that. Hope we at least agree on the SPORT + mode
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
This car is pretty good staying at whatever mode you are in. I only switch it DSC OFF in SPORT+ and it stays there. The throttle responses should also confirm that. Hope we at least agree on the SPORT + mode
No, it does not. If you go from Sport+ to DSC Off, it is back in Comfort Mode. This happens to all modern BMWs, not only the one series.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Yes, sorry i mean DSC.

Is there any way to switched that?
      06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnasty View Post
Yes, sorry i mean DSC.

Is there any way to switched that?
I haven't seen any success on this subject yet, but I'm sure there are quite a few people around the world working on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

While we are on the subject, have anybody tested what modes the electronic fake differential is activated in? It is pretty much impossible to tell if it is enabled as long as the traction control is on. With our rather modestly powered 116i, it can also be tricky to test it in DTC (Sport+) mode, but it seems to me like the differential is still open there. I get some chirping from the inside tire when powering out of tight corners, and the car does not rotate into the corner under power as it should with ediff enabled. But I am not sure, as DTC does not allow the car to provide its full cornering potential.

With DSC Off, the ediff is definitely activated, and working surprisingly well.

I think this (ediff only enabled with DTC Off) is also compatible with the rather vague descriptions in the owner's manual.

Last edited by ovekvam; 06-18-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Fixed some typos
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

It's not full comfort mode with DSC Off. The throttle response drops to comfort mapping but the steering defaults to sport (If you have servotronic or sports steering)

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
It's not full comfort mode with DSC Off. The throttle response drops to comfort mapping but the steering defaults to sport (If you have servotronic or sports steering)

Cheers
Lee
How about the suspension? I've heard it goes to comfort mode as well on the Z4. How is it on the F20/F21? Our car has non adaptive suspension, so the only variable factor is the engine response.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
How about the suspension? I've heard it goes to comfort mode as well on the Z4. How is it on the F20/F21? Our car has non adaptive suspension, so the only variable factor is the engine response.
In my 5-series with Adaptive Drive and SAT, it drops the whole thing back to normal mode when you switch DSC off, even if in Sport+ mode. Yes everything, gearbox (if configured), therefore includes the throttle, plus the steering and suspension.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Suspension goes to the stiffer setting with dsc off.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

So when I use SPORT + & DSC OFF

Throttle = Comfort
Suspension = Sport
Traction = Yet to confirmed? (I did two donuts in the rain, drifted twice, does that represent anything?)

With DTC it lets you loose traction slightly. I am going to test it out soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

@Subnasty: You are correct in the the car is switching to COMFORT.
@ovekvam: Thank you you are absolutely right too. My cars were not BMW other than the E30 325i, which predates all these electronics.

Nevertheless a little test was carried out. I went up a steep climb in SPORT+ while pressing on the traction button to get to DSC OFF. Sure enough there is that sudden dip in power when DSC OFF, suggesting it has gone into COMFORT. In fact in any mode other than SPORT+ if the Traction button is pressed it defaults to COMFORT. SPORT+ is the only mode that does not go to COMFORT with Traction OFF (off by default) In fact if you press traction off in ECO PRO it goes to COMFORT.

If you want DSC OFF, the power mode is COMFORT and COMFORT only. We didn't test out the chassis as it will take longer, and we do not have the road available to us. I guess BMW design the things to work out like this with safety in mind?

Last edited by westphone; 06-18-2013 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Yes, I think BMW is not trusting the customers to handle the more abrubt throttle mapping with no DSC to help.

I have also been doing some testing, and I have come to the conclusion that the available power at full throttle is the same in Comfort Mode as in Sport Mode. The pedal mapping is however very different, so the power is significantly different at half throttle. It is easier to modulate the power in low grip conditions in Comfort Mode due to more pedal travel, but more difficult to overcome turbo lag in high grip conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Yes, the turbo lag was more difficult to overcome. It has been strange for me to press on the gas pretty hard before really having to turn if I were to initiate even a little drift. I guess there are many people out there eager to have SPORT+ and DSC OFF available at the same time like you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Even if I'm in comfort and turn DSC off the steering changes to Sport mode.

I believe it doesn't matter what driving mode you are in. If you turn DSC off in the f20/21 then you get....
Throttle mapping - Comfort
Steering - Sport
Suspension - Sport
Auto box - Comfort changes unless moving the lever to DS.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
While we are on the subject, have anybody tested what modes the electronic fake differential is activated in? It is pretty much impossible to tell if it is enabled as long as the traction control is on. With our rather modestly powered 116i, it can also be tricky to test it in DTC (Sport+) mode, but it seems to me like the differential is still open there. I get some chirping from the inside tire when powering out of tight corners, and the car does not rotate into the corner usnder power as it should with ediff enabled. But I am not sure, as DTC does not allow the car to provide its full cornering potential.

With DSC Off, the ediff is definitely activated, and working surpisingly well.

I think this (ediff only enabled with DTC Off) is also compatible with the rather vague descriptions in the owner's manual.
This is my understanding, too...and it feels that way, too....although, in another post logiclee suggested the ediff is always active. Doesn't feel that way to me in Sport+ only.

Might have to find a skidpan
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
This is my understanding, too...and it feels that way, too....although, in another post logiclee suggested the ediff is always active. Doesn't feel that way to me in Sport+ only.

Might have to find a skidpan
Might be always active but if other stuff interrupts power etc first you wont notice much.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

You'd think so, but that's not what the manual suggests.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

And why do I get more wheelspin with Sport+ than DSC Off?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

There is this product in my region that is very common. It makes the throttle response more aggressive especially early on in the paddle travel, so COMFORT will be very similar to SPORT. It does so by sending fake signal to the computer. They didn't tell me what happens in SPORT, though. I guess for someone really want the throttle response with DSC OFF here is a remedy, thoughI wouldn't install it personally. (sorry not trying to plug any product, just mentioning this thing exists )

Last edited by westphone; 06-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: grammar and spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
There is this product in my region that is very common. It makes the throttle response more aggressive especially early on in the paddle travel, so COMFORT will be very similar to SPORT. It does so by sending fake signal to the computer. They didn't tell me what happens in SPORT, though. I guess for someone really want the throttle response with DSC OFF here is a remedy, thoughI wouldn't install it personally. (sorry not trying to plug any product, just mentioning this thing exists )
Yes, the famous Sprint Booster. I also know some people who are very fond of these things.
Appreciate 0