BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Brand new M135i or second hand 1M?

06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

Brand new M135i or second hand 1M?

I’m about to take delivery of a fully specced AW M135i, but I’ve got a chance to buy a black 1M from a friend that’s done less than 10,000km for about the same money.

I’m weighing my options, is there anything I’ve missed?

1M
- More collectible
- Less depreciation (I could almost certainly resell the 1M for the same money)
- More pride of ownership (code for "I'm still ambivalent about those headlights on the F20")
- Mechanical LSD

M135i
- White—my first car was a Chamonix 2002tii, hence the soft spot for white BMs.
- Newer model with all the subtle changes that entails including later sat nav, lane change warnings, DAB+, reversing camera etc.
- Slightly longer warranty
- Auto box. I feel a bit guilty listing this as a pro given that I enjoy driving a manual but in reality this will be principally a city car and my wife can’t drive a manual.
- I’d probably need to swap the black wheels on the 1M for some unpainted wheels. Black wheels on a black is a bit demonic for my liking.

I’m leaning to the 1M only because when I see a M135i drive past I think to myself, “Mmm, that looks really nice”, whereas when I see the 1M I think to myself “Phwoar!!!” and start to jump around in my seat, haha. Yes, that’s what it seems to come down to.

I do, however, like the idea of keeping a 1M in the same way that someone might keep an E30 M3. I can’t however, see myself keeping the M135i more than 4 years.

If anyone in Australia is interested in taking on the M135i in the event I do decide to pass it on, email me on townsend@vicbar.com.au

Last edited by mdt; 06-10-2013 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Well, if I could buy a 1M, with <10,000k, for around the same price as I purchased my M135i, I'd absolutely hit it...even though it's black!

The thing is, Matt, you keep talking about "this car" being a family car, and I don't think you can put the 1M in that category, whereas you can...sort of... do that in relation to the M135i. So, you'd need to be honest with yourself, and call the 1M "my car". If you can negotiate this, state-of-mind, issue, everything else is just money...including the warranty, as I understand you can purchase extended BMW warranty any time before the original expires.

The other thought I might suggestion you question is regarding the 1M as a "keeper". We've all done that at some time or other, but guess what? Something better comes along...eg, 2M/M2 or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Well, if I could buy a 1M, with <10,000k, for around the same price as I purchased my M135i, I'd absolutely hit it...even though it's black!

The thing is, Matt, you keep talking about "this car" being a family car, and I don't think you can put the 1M in that category, whereas you can...sort of... do that in relation to the M135i. So, you'd need to be honest with yourself, and call the 1M "my car". If you can negotiate this, state-of-mind, issue, everything else is just money...including the warranty, as I understand you can purchase extended BMW warranty any time before the original expires.

The other thought I might suggestion you question is regarding the 1M as a "keeper". We've all done that at some time or other, but guess what? Something better comes along...eg, 2M/M2 or whatever.
Much sense in what you say Tim. I agree, the 1M would be my car, as distinct from a family car, as I would keep the E91.

I also agree about the keeper factor. I said that about my Colnago C50 with all the fruit. I now, no longer own it.

The most sensible thing to do would be to sell the E91 and to just get the M135i. In many ways, that's what I would prefer to do, but Liz is about to start a job to which she will need to drive hence the need for a second car. I'm trying to work around that and avoid the expense of running two motors...
      06-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

1M, 'cause you're leaning towards it, it is hard to get it out of your mind. Plus, look at the Youtube TV reviews the way the 1M drives.

Now you just have solve your wife not being able to drive the manual.

My wife cannot drive manual, so I got a M135i manual. I can't live with AT, and when she gives me a hard time about it, I'd just suck it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
1M, 'cause you're leaning towards it, it is hard to get it out of your mind. Plus, look at the Youtube TV reviews the way the 1M drives.

Now you just have solve your wife not being able to drive the manual.

My wife cannot drive manual, so I got a M135i manual. I can't live with AT, and when she gives me a hard time about it, I'd just suck it up.
But if I get the 1M it will be a second car so my wife will still be able to drive the E91. But we have a tandem driveway, so if I go off and block her in, I'll be in big trouble, haha.
      06-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

The tandem driveway is obviously an issue if you have two cars -- any two cars -- so you'll just have to promise Liz you'll buy a bigger house with a bigger (treble ) garage soon!!

The other thing is how liveable the 1M is, as a daily driver in the city.

If it was me, it comes down to the value for money equation. I like the 1M, but it's not THAT hot, relative to the M135i -- so I'd need to buy it for the right money (for me, c$80k)

One of the things I most love about my M135i is its multiple personalities, and I don't think the 1M offers this. The reality is that 90%+ of my driving is on busy public roads, where I'd prefer to be unassuming, obey the law, and have reasonable fuel economy (and I'm averaging under 8.5L/100k so far). But, on the weekends, I can loosen up, and enjoy real high performance without drawing too much attention to myself. Just me
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think the M135i is the better car, and the 1M is the better investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
But if I get the 1M it will be a second car so my wife will still be able to drive the E91. But we have a tandem driveway, so if I go off and block her in, I'll be in big trouble, haha.
In that case 1M.... If Bernie lets me do one lap or two of the Albert Part F1 Circuit, I'd take the 1M. Also if I can do one stage of the Monte Carlo Rally the choice is the same. I have just come back from a mountain drive in damp conditions, there were lots turns and hairpins (can't really get the speed up anyways), and even in these conditions M135i was bit soft, and there is no way, for automatic (at least for me sir). In my region the choice was never available to us, 1M was almost all spoken for, and there is no second hand one. Whatever your choice, sir, good luck and congratulations. I hope the financial math works out in your favor Just my 1.5 cent (not quite 2 cents)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
In that case 1M.... If Bernie lets me do one lap or two of the Albert Part F1 Circuit, I'd take the 1M. Also if I can do one stage of the Monte Carlo Rally the choice is the same. I have just come back from a mountain drive in damp conditions, there were lots turns and hairpins (can't really get the speed up anyways), and even in these conditions M135i was bit soft, and there is no way, for automatic (at least for me sir). In my region the choice was never available to us, 1M was almost all spoken for, and there is no second hand one. Whatever your choice, sir, good luck and congratulations. I hope the financial math works out in your favor Just my 1.5 cent (not quite 2 cents)
Haha, excellent. As a happy coincidence, I have to drive around part of the Albert Park track a couple of times a week because we run around the lake, but it's a 40km/h zone for most of the year.

Ovekam, "least worst investment" is probably more accurate, but I take your point. That said, if you had to give three reasons for saying the M135i is the better car, what would they be? In one sense this is the critical issue. If I came to the party late, I wouldn't know what you were talking about, but having followed this car very carefully, I sense you might be right. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
      06-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Honziss
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 116d + E81 116i

Stop

Stop thinking and go for that 1M! M135i you can buy anytime later, but how many 1Ms with less then 10kkm will be on the market 5 years later?

Go for 1M and change the wheels to original silver, black/black combination looks good on avantador, but not on hatch/coupe.

Wish to have your troubles one day
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
rs-6
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i

If you trust the previous owner: no reason not to choose the 1M! Unless you aren't a sporty driver
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs-6 View Post
If you trust the previous owner: no reason not to choose the 1M! Unless you aren't a sporty driver
He's perhaps less of an old man with pipe and slippers than me, but yes, he's legit.
      06-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #13
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honziss View Post
Go for 1M and change the wheels to original silver, black/black combination looks good on avantador, but not on hatch/coupe.
Indeed, I've liked 1Ms in black since seeing this pic:

06-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If you go for the 1M you almost definitely need two motors. regardless of the wife auto only driving license. I'd imagine there might be times when you won't want to use the 1m due to putting on loads of miles doing mundane trips. You might find that you're both trying to use the same car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #15
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Keeping the wife happy = M135i
Keeping the demon inside happy = M135i
Keeping the legend alive= M1

There is an old saying 'Happy wife, Happy life'
Buy the M135i and then when your wife needs it all the time, you can buy a M1 or hang out for a M2 as your car
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
If you go for the 1M you almost definitely need two motors. regardless of the wife auto only driving license. I'd imagine there might be times when you won't want to use the 1m due to putting on loads of miles doing mundane trips. You might find that you're both trying to use the same car.
Except I'm not that sensible. I'd be using the 1M as a daily driver. The only exception might be on short trips that I couldn't even warm up the engine.

As for the happy wife, she'd prefer we keep the E91 as the only car and buy more real estate.
      06-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #17
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Except I'm not that sensible. I'd be using the 1M as a daily driver. The only exception might be on short trips that I couldn't even warm up the engine.

As for the happy wife, she'd prefer we keep the E91 as the only car and buy more real estate.
1M
- More collectible
- Less depreciation (I could almost certainly resell the 1M for the same money)

I doubt it if you use it everyday. Owners what mint low mileage cars for keepers.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:06 AM   #18
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Ovekam, "least worst investment" is probably more accurate, but I take your point. That said, if you had to give three reasons for saying the M135i is the better car, what would they be? In one sense this is the critical issue. If I came to the party late, I wouldn't know what you were talking about, but having followed this car very carefully, I sense you might be right. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
The suspension is softer, yet still offering the necessary performance. This makes the car handle better on bumpy roads (or tracks).

The interior is a step up in quality, looks and ergonomics.

The electronic driving aids (ABS, DSC, DTC ++) have been developed further, and offers more purposeful help in a critical situation.

You also have an option to choose a praised automatic transmission and even four wheel drive. I probably wouldn't, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #19
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Just sold my 1M. My new M135i 5dr auto arrives this week.

Get the 1M

Used mine for 29k fantastic miles as a daily driver. Sure it's not as comfortable as the M135i but it is the better drivers car and one I wish I could have kept forever.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #20
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
The suspension is softer, yet still offering the necessary performance. This makes the car handle better on bumpy roads (or tracks).

The interior is a step up in quality, looks and ergonomics.

The electronic driving aids (ABS, DSC, DTC ++) have been developed further, and offers more purposeful help in a critical situation.
I can handle a harsh ride. I drove a car with a roll cage as a daily for a long time, it was the exhaust noise I got tired of, you had to shout to communicate with your passenger. "YOU'RE SCARED FOR YOUR... WHAT?"

Better interior, nice but not a deal changer.

Improvements in driving aids is interesting. Intuitively I suspected as much, but I imagine this would be difficult point to quantify. Can you point me in the direction of any more information about this? I've specced lane change warning and I know it has emergency brake warning. That's all I know.

Chris, why the swap?
      06-11-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Improvements in driving aids is interesting. Intuitively I suspected as much, but I imagine this would be difficult point to quantify. Can you point me in the direction of any more information about this? I've specced lane change warning and I know it has emergency brake warning. That's all I know.
The systems are constantly developed, but I don't know any good information sources on the net. I guess the R&D team are keeping the cards close to their chest when it comes to these things. It is not so much about new features as better regulation algorithms and tuning.

From the E46 and up until the F20, the improment of the systems have taken a lot of steps. With a lot of track experience, I have built in reflexes to correct slides. In the E46, I felt the DSC was working more against me than helping me. It has been improved by every new model, and on the F20 I no longer feel that the systems are over-correcting my inputs. It still slows me down, but I think they are now safe even for active drivers, and I am no longer afraid to leave them on in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #22
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I hear what you are saying and despite the absence of any proof, it's possibly convincing enough for me to want to get the M135i. I remember the days when stability control would stop you from having fun. Yet when I drove a 991 af full noise around Phillip Island a year or so ago the finesse of PASM made me feel like Walter Rohl.

I certainly wouldn't want a car in which I felt I had to turn the stability control off in order to have fun, but I've not read that criticism about the 1M.